Old Skool 40K

andozane

...ok, not THAT old skool...but simpler times...before Flyers, Formations, Allies, Lords of War, etc...

Remember then?

So, using that as a baseline, create an army list from an existing codex. 

YES...I realize some books this will not work at all, so, too bad.  I guess they are out of this little theoretical musing.

Requirements for submitted list?

Follow CAD first...

Minimum

1 HQ

2 TROOPS

OPTIONAL

1 HQ

4 TROOPS

3 FAST

3 ELITE

3 HEAVY

Then...No Flyers or Fortifications....

Here is my first submission:

Tau Empire Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1999

1 Commander, 148 pts = (base cost 85 + Cyclic Ion Blaster 15 + Plasma Rifle x1 15 + Drone Controller 8 + XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit 25)
      1 Gun Drone, 12 pts
      1 Shield Drone, 12 pts

1 Fire Warrior Team, 0 pts
      12 Fire Warriors, 108 pts = 12 * 9
      1 Devilfish, 95 pts = (base cost 80 + Disruption Pod 15)

12 Fire Warriors, 108 pts = 12 * 9

10 Fire Warriors, 90 pts = 10 * 9

1 Piranha Squadron, 0 pts
      1 Piranha, 40 pts
      1 Piranha, 40 pts
      1 Piranha, 40 pts

1 Drone Squadron, 0 pts
      6 Marker Drones, 84 pts = 6 * 14

1 Stealth Team, 0 pts
      1 Stealth Shas'vre, 40 pts = (base cost 30) + Shas'vre 10
      1 Stealth Shas'ui, 35 pts = (base cost 30 + Fusion Blaster 5)
      1 Stealth Shas'ui, 35 pts = (base cost 30 + Fusion Blaster 5)
      1 Stealth Shas'ui, 30 pts

1 XV104 Riptide, 185 pts = (base cost 180 + Ion Accelerator 5)

1 XV104 Riptide, 185 pts = (base cost 180 + Ion Accelerator 5)

1 XV88 Broadside Team, 0 pts
      1 Broadside Shas'ui, 65 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts

1 XV88 Broadside Team, 0 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts
         1 Shield Drone, 12 pts

• Like 3

My Nurgle armored list for OFCC fits.

Pask Punisher with 2 Eridicators HQ

Vanquishers as second HQ

Wyverns at HVY

More Eridicators at HVY

The no cover Russes with Multi Meltas at HVY

2 squads of Vets in Chimeras at Troop

No formations, psychers, fortifications, flyers or boots on the ground. All tanks, all day long. Never won a single game with it but it looks awesome;)

• Like 4

Classichammer 40k!  

I know 7th is super-fun-sandbox-toys edition, but I think a lot of us can recall the glory days of 3rd-4th-5th ed when everyone had the same CAD and we liked it that way.  

A time when only Apocalypse games were the realm of nigh-unkillable super units that had to ride shotgun, belted in, wrapped in foam, and wearing a Mariners cap so you could use the carpool lane on the trip to your friend's while the rest of your minis rattled around in the back in a Michael's craft tote.  

A time when seeing a flyer was something special or that you were hanging out with your friend that still lived in his parents' basement and was free to shovel money into such luxuries.

A time when Forgeworld's resin existed only in the form of modeling upgrades like shoulder pads and extra armor.

AFK, gotta go work on my time machine... has anyone got a DeLorean I can borrow?

• Like 2

Sure, there will always be "broken" things...all games have this...

But who isn't a little "exhausted" from trying to keep an idea of formations...and all the various ones, where they are sourced, what their special rules are, etc...

They are still fun, and definitely are part of 7th ed.

That ClassicHammer link is wow...on my thought process.  But my ideal is even more strict obvsiously...tho I had already considered that the two Mechanicus books would just be considered one Codex for the sake of the FOC, and then be able to build a legal CAD.

The no Flyers and Forts part?  Pure simplicity...there are no flyers in this ideal.  None.  If your big bad has wings, he is jump...but they can't fly.  Otherwise, all other flyers are not allowed.  I think most armies are quite fine not using their flyers (I look at my Necrons and weep, but hey, I got Ghost Arks).  Now you don't have to worry about your "air defense".  You just don't bring any, as it won't be necessary. 

So yes, this ideal completely crosses out entire units from your codex.  

But I'd wager  you can easily still build a fun army to play using only the CAD.  Will it always be balanced? Hell no...my Tau force went against a 100 man Iron Snakes army last night.  At the end of turn 3, we were close...7-6 points with me in the lead.  Then my turn 4 went bonkers, and I scored 7 points.  Until that time tho, the game was really close.

I've never stopped looking at 40K as a beer and pretzels game.  But I still don't mind making it a bit simpler :)

I still play this way. In all of my armies, I only run 1 formation. The Baal strike force. Other than that, regular CAD all the way. And I agree with Eben about the flyers counts as skimmers thing. That was cool when it was the mechanic for them. I am always down to play old skool hammer. Anyone who wants a game against regular old armies; hit me up. My contact info is on page 4 of the opponent finder.

• Like 1

I know you're mostly joking, but there were plenty of unkillable super units in all those editions.  I mean, just off the top of my head in 4th, Eldar Falcons, Carnifexes, Monoliths...  

Oh, definitely healthy doses of joking and rose-tint in my previous post.  In any edition of 40k there has always been that build that exploits the rules of the era and the BRB CAD definitely doesn't prevent certain builds from gutting most other opponents except hard-counter builds.  

My last two OFCC army appearances have been from the classic CAD setup (though last year's was supposed to have been a different army from the Baal Strike Force), mechanized Salamanders Space Marines. Against most other armies I've played they hold their own reasonably well, but I also try hard to focus on playing the objectives rather than trying to table an opponent.

• Like 1

Seems like it could be a fun variation to play occasionally, for some variety. I don't think I'd like it as my default, tho. I like having my Storm Talons getting in dogfights with Razorwings and my Holy Requisitioner teleporting in with his Breacher Bodyguard to grab a vital bit of tech and Land Speeders marking targets for my Whirlwinds or Storm Talons, and a couple of packs of Grey Hunters Drop Podding in in the nick of time to save my beleaguered Imperial Guard, and so on, and so on. Yes, there's some crazy stuff in there, but there's a lot of really cool stuff, too.

• Like 2

Seems like it could be a fun variation to play occasionally, for some variety. I don't think I'd like it as my default, tho. I like having my Storm Talons getting in dogfights with Razorwings and my Holy Requisitioner teleporting in with his Breacher Bodyguard to grab a vital bit of tech and Land Speeders marking targets for my Whirlwinds or Storm Talons, and a couple of packs of Grey Hunters Drop Podding in in the nick of time to save my beleaguered Imperial Guard, and so on, and so on. Yes, there's some crazy stuff in there, but there's a lot of really cool stuff, too.

The problem is that the cool stuff isnt showing up as much as the power formations and combos.

The problem is that the cool stuff isnt showing up as much as the power formations and combos.

Depends on who you're playing with. I love that I've got a range of options, from fairly hard Tournaments to fluffier events at Game Wizard to narrative campaigns and such with buddies. If you don't have that, yeah, it can get frustrating.