Space Marines in 8th

Yarbicus

So, most of my 40k playing was in 3rd and 4th edition.  I only played a handful of games in 6th and none in 7th.  I have an Imperial Fists army that I have been building and have some questions.

1.  Are Razorbacks more viable now?

2.  How are the Primaris Marines working out?  That is a completely new unit.

3.  What about Vindicators?  I used to love them but they seemed less useful in 7th.

4.  Best unit to put in a Drop Pod?  I only have one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yarbicus said:

So, most of my 40k playing was in 3rd and 4th edition.  I only played a handful of games in 6th and none in 7th.  I have an Imperial Fists army that I have been building and have some questions.

3.  What about Vindicators?  I used to love them but they seemed less useful in 7th.

1. Vehicles of all varieties are more viable. They are a lot of fun now. My Stormtalon is my new favorite thing.

2. I don't know yet.

3. Tanks of all kinds are pretty awesome now.

4. I don't know. I would imagine Sternguard are still a prime choice.

1 hour ago, Yarbicus said:

1. Yes. Vehicles as a whole are more durable and more expensive but transports, like the razorbacks, are really good at delivering their guys to where they need to be. Keep in mind if you move heavy weapons are a -1 to hit.

2. Primaris Marines are kinda meh. They have no special weapons. They are cheaper than Marines per wound but you loose the flexibility of the special weapons and combat squads. They also currently have no transports.

3. Vindicators seem to have a low damage output for their points. Razorbacks, Las predators are great though.

4. Drop pod are so expensive I wouldn't want more than 1 or 2.  But the same unit you would put in them in 6-7th are the same units you would still put in them now.

5 hours ago, Spaceork said:

Snipers are about 180+ points with sniper rifles and camo cloaks. I'm not sure they are the best for the cost.

Wait until you run into a wall of fifty Conscripts and a Commissar. Scout-Snipers' ability to target the guy in the fancy hat is invaluable in this situation. Not to mention Tau Ætherals, Apothecaries, Waaagh! Banners, and so forth...

Scout-Snipers aren't going to one-shot enemy HQs, but they're very useful at dealing with "buff" models. 

(Scout deployment shenanigans are a bonus.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

So, am I missingsomething or are different chara7the only difference between chapters?

Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Deathwatch, and Space Wolves have a lot of differences from the other Space Marines. Hence, they have separate entries in the indices.

Amongst the "Vanilla" Chapters the main difference is the named Special Characters. But there are a few other ones hiding in there: Tyrannic War Veterans and the Terminus Ultra are unique to the Ultramarines; Crusader Squads and the Emperor's Champion are unique to the Black Templars; and of course the Legion of the Damned are, well, the Legion of the Damned.

Oh, and IIRC, Black Templars cannot include Librarians. This has always been part of their fluff ("Suffer not the witch!") and has been a mechanical rule in the past. But I'm not 100% certain if it's in the Index or not.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:55 AM, Yarbicus said:

Im answering as an opponent and on the strength of what I have seen so far.

1.  It appears they definitely are.  They were my number one target in one game.  as Dark Eldar, i have a lot of multiwound models and those Razorbacks can hurt me pretty badly for a good cost and can also harm the vehicles effectively so they are worth it.

2.  Primaris Marines do not seem like they are worth it to me, again speaking as the guy slaughtering them.  I have only seen their enhanced range truly matter once and there is just too much plasma now.  Plasma is very good now as my Militarum Tempestus can explain..  Theres a unit that can take 5 plasma and I would do that.  I think those ones are Primaris.

3.  Vindicators are "okay".  They aren't much better than a Lazerback hnestly, but they do fill their niche reasonably well.  They last a LOT longer now and that does afford it a lot more in the way of not feeling like you wasted points on them.  I think they are a perfectly legit choice compared to before though and I do own one I will test out eventually.  The one i faced was effective while it lived.

4.  I'm not sure.  

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Deathwatch, and Space Wolves have a lot of differences from the other Space Marines. Hence, they have separate entries in the indices.

Amongst the "Vanilla" Chapters the main difference is the named Special Characters. But there are a few other ones hiding in there: Tyrannic War Veterans and the Terminus Ultra are unique to the Ultramarines; Crusader Squads and the Emperor's Champion are unique to the Black Templars; and of course the Legion of the Damned are, well, the Legion of the Damned.

Oh, and IIRC, Black Templars cannot include Librarians. This has always been part of their fluff ("Suffer not the witch!") and has been a mechanical rule in the past. But I'm not 100% certain if it's in the Index or not.

But I play Imperial Fists not vanilla. Seems like they could have added something other than just Lysander.

2 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

But I play Imperial Fists not vanilla. Seems like they could have added something other than just Lysander.

At least you still get Lysander. I play Guardians of the Covenant not Dark Angels. As a result of the new rules, I can not field any named Special Characters.

The Intercessor Primaris guys(the basic marine) seems to be a decent objective camping unit especially if you can get them into cover,a group of 5 should have no problem with this if one is nearby.Only had a couple of games in but in both cases the base unit of 5 got a few model kills and held an objective each game.For cost, 100 points for 5 models with 2 wounds each and an upgraded Bolter weapon range and -1 rend is pretty good I think.

They are very much like what Liberators are to Stormcast in AoS,,im sure more variants with options are in the works:)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ish said:

We do not tarry with Psyker Mind Witches. That way lies heresy. Our purity and faith in Him on Earth will bring the zealous fury to the foes of mankind.

No pity. No remorse. No fear.

*Yes. No Librarians for Black Templars made it into the index.

• Like 4