Raak

What books are you reading or have recently read?

Finally finished that Wheel of Time Series. Those Brandon Sanderson books, just not as good. Bad books are slow reading. And I didn't really like the end in Memory of Light. Still, glad I finished. 

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the end in the book, I just think it was rather mediocre and I felt the series deserved better.

15 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Finally finished that Wheel of Time Series. Those Brandon Sanderson books, just not as good. Bad books are slow reading. And I didn't really like the end in Memory of Light. Still, glad I finished. 

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the end in the book, I just think it was rather mediocre and I felt the series deserved better.

To be fair to Brandon, he picked up a massive mess and finished it up reasonably.

I would highly recommend Brandon's other work, which is pretty great.

As recommended by jollyork, I got Dracula from Project Gutenberg as well. Very interesting to contrast with most of the movie adaptations. Actually, it feels like most of the Dracula movies are remakes or spinoffs of the first couple, rather than being adaptions directly from the source material in their own right. There's a lot in the book that doesn't make it on to the screen, including a surprising amount of humour.

I also just finished The Beast Arises series. The last couple of books took me quite a while. Not because they're bad, but the grimdark gets turned way up, and I kept needing to take breaks from it. It is a really cool series, with a lot of well-handled Category 1 Retcons. Not changing anything, just making connections between things and filling in gaps, a number of which really did feel like they added some extra depth to things like Ghazkull's repeated attacks on Armageddon. The founding of the DeathWatch is in there, and some details that were new to me about the foundings of the Grey Knights and the Inquisitorial Ordos, and what the Imperial Fists successor Chapters felt about the Second Founding.

Let's see, forgot about this page.

Re-read Raymond E Feist's Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthrorn, and A Darkness at Sethanon. I had read them before, but it was the kind of books I wanted to read. It's one series, I think called the "riftwar saga." I enjoyed them.

For complaints, I think these books feature characters that get too "epic" too quickly, and then the author becomes unable to write about just those characters, so they expand their cast of characters so they have more "writable" subjects, but this leaves me the reader disappointed that the protagonist I liked in book 1 doesn't really have enough spotlight in the other books which are supposed to be sequels. And in fairness, this is one of the author's earlier book series.

Good books, with a target audience of anyone that enjoys fantasy RPGs.

Beyond that, Picked up Season of the Spring (three books in one, Spellsinger, The Hour of the Gate, and The Day of Dissonance) by Alan Dean Foster, which I haven't read and know nothing about. I believe it to be a fantasy set series about a magic user of some such. I paid 39 cents for it at goodwill...

On 5/8/2018 at 7:12 PM, WestRider said:

As recommended by jollyork, I got Dracula from Project Gutenberg as well. Very interesting to contrast with most of the movie adaptations. Actually, it feels like most of the Dracula movies are remakes or spinoffs of the first couple, rather than being adaptions directly from the source material in their own right. There's a lot in the book that doesn't make it on to the screen, including a surprising amount of humour.

Frankenstein is like that too, if you haven't read it. TV usually references the films, not the book. I didn't really think the book was a horror story, it's more a tragedy (for the doctor, yes, but mainly for the creation). Definitely worth reading.

Plus the book is really short.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Frankenstein is like that too, if you haven't read it. TV usually references the films, not the book. I didn't really think the book was a horror story, it's more a tragedy (for the doctor, yes, but mainly for the creation). Definitely worth reading.

Plus the book is really short.

Jollyork recommended Dracula to me as a response to my post in here about reading Frankenstein. We've come full circle! I definitely agree that it's more of a tragedy than a horror story.