The Big FAQ

pretre

Honestly, unless there is a major overhaul in the system (i.e., 2nd to 3rd; 7th to 8th) I think it’s probably better to have the late codices in an edition, instead of the earliest codices. The closer the codex is released to the launch of the edition, the more boring and bland it tends to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Honestly, unless there is a major overhaul in the system (i.e., 2nd to 3rd; 7th to 8th) I think it’s probably better to have the late codices in an edition, instead of the earliest codices. The closer the codex is released to the launch of the edition, the more boring and bland it tends to be.

For Sure!  Those Index books wore BOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIINNNNGGGGGG.  Not a lick of fluff to delve into.

Well, to be fair, the indices were never intended to be anything other than stop gaps to get people playing on launch day. I’ve been around long enough to have seen the same thing (more or less) twice before with the very rudimentary army lists we had in ‘Rogue Trader’ and the ‘back of the book’ lists we got in the appendix to the 3rd Edition rulebook.

• Like 1

The Necrons debuted as a “full” army contemporaneously with the Sisters of Battle who were my primary army for Second through Fifth Edition. They also shared a similarly rocky history of delayed codices.

Necrons got an army list in White Dwarf a few months before Second Edition was replaced by Third, but never got a proper Second Edition codex (The Sisters did, about a month before the edition changed and rendered it completely incompatible with the new mechanics.) They started out in 3rd Edition with the same “back of the book” list as everyone else, then got a White Dwarf list that expanded upon it.

The White Dwarf list got slightly revised and published in Chapter Approved 2001 a few months later. Chapter Approved 2001 was replaced by Codex: Necrons in 2002 and would remain their only book through fourth edition until Codex: Necrons in 2011, well into the fifth edition. As of now in late 2018, they haven’t gotten a replacement codex and still use the Index Xenos list.

8 hours ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

GSC is already announced as the last codex release of the edition. that means it will be valid for 3 months then a new edition or FAQ will change it again.

not fun. i went through that in 7th edition already.

Just seems to me that people should start moving away from these ‘matched play’ rules... eh?

9 hours ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

GSC is already announced as the last codex release of the edition. that means it will be valid for 3 months then a new edition or FAQ will change it again.

not fun. i went through that in 7th edition already.

Someone suggested that rather than a new edition, GW would be moving towards just supporting the existing books and armies, since despite lots of books, they really haven't released that many new models this edtion. It would be nice to see what 40k would look like with a complete set of 40k codexs for more than just a few months. I don't particularlly like or hate the rules in this edition, but I'd rather they keep this edition than create a new dysfunctional edition. 

At present, I'm kinda annoyed with GW. They're doing this "PR" phase where they are more about looking good, than they are producing product. None of the 8e kits are things I think the hobby needed. And very few releases at that. Meanwhile, lots of youtube content and FAQs and the fans seems happy, but GW really isn't doing anything different - they've just change how people view what they've always done. Reminds of that wall street guy from futurama, just all about appearances. 

18 minutes ago, Ish said:

I stand corrected on that point then. But, overall, the trend has long been that the Necrons were in the same “are we getting a codex this decade or are we getting squatted” club as the Sisters, Dark Eldar, and Grey Knights.

Was talking with Kahn, and he was telling me how his cultists got a codex for all of 2 months before 8th dropped and made it garbage (waste of $75 book). That said, Orks supposed to get it soon, but someone always ends up being the tail end. i'll admit I was happy to get a cron codex in the middle of these books.

2 minutes ago, spagunk said:

My favorite part (sarcasm) so far is that all reserve units cannot enter the board at all, even in your own deployment zone. So if you reserve something you can't even bring it on board on your first turn to help repel a 1st turn rush from your opponents. So much fun! 🙄

You do realize that this is how 40k worked for years, right? Makes it into a real decision whether to reserve something and, as motivated GW in this latest faq, it's more thematic.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spagunk said:

My favorite part (sarcasm) so far is that all reserve units cannot enter the board at all, even in your own deployment zone. So if you reserve something you can't even bring it on board on your first turn to help repel a 1st turn rush from your opponents. So much fun! 🙄

Don't reserve so much then. Most people use reserve to hide/protect/deliver devastating units. How do you think players felt when you could reserve the whole army and my turn 1 was pretty much (nothing). Then they come in and melt face assuring first strike. Not fun. It's a balance issue, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Like 3

I wasn't referring to null deploy 🙄. the new rules means that NONE of your reserves can come in turn one at all. So there doesn't seem to be any advantage to even putting a single unit in reserve even as an "Oh [big bad swear word]" button if someone breaks through your main line or threatens you immediately.

@Dusldorf Been playing since 1999 so yes, I know how it used to work. I've spent all of 7th edition basically being able to do jack all with Blood Angels so going backwards to previous editions shouldn't be something we should strive for from my perspective.

The fact is that 8th was supposed to make it better/easier for every army and I've been sitting here seeing more and more options removed from an army advertised as an assault oriented force. I have all these assault tools at my disposal but none of them are particularly effective besides shooting. Telling me to get over it shouldn't be the catch all everyone crowds to and is really friggin toxic.

God damn it, I should have known better than to post here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spagunk said:

I wasn't referring to null deploy 🙄. the new rules means that NONE of your reserves can come in turn one at all. So there doesn't seem to be any advantage to even putting a single unit in reserve even as an "Oh [big bad swear word]" button if someone breaks through your main line or threatens you immediately.

@Dusldorf Been playing since 1999 so yes, I know how it used to work. I've spent all of 7th edition basically being able to do jack all with Blood Angels so going backwards to previous editions shouldn't be something we should strive for from my perspective.

The fact is that 8th was supposed to make it better/easier for every army and I've been sitting here seeing more and more options removed from an army advertised as an assault oriented force. I have all these assault tools at my disposal but none of them are particularly effective besides shooting. Telling me to get over it shouldn't be the catch all everyone crowds to and is really friggin toxic.

The salt is real lol

2 hours ago, spagunk said:

Previous editions you might go to turn 4 or 5 with a reserve unit stuck off the table. Ensuring turn 2 reserving is great, plus deep striking on target now is great. Preventing alpha deep strike is not a problem. The fact we were spoiled with it for a while, then the candy was taken away is the reason for the feeling of loss. I imagine enough people griped about alpha strikes like that they made the change. Loudest voice and all.

• Like 1

Depending on mission, friendly list type, enemy list type, and terrain, reserves are extremely useful. 

Capturing objectives

establishing points superiority where you need to

negating enemy list/deployment strengths through board positioning

the list if fairly long.

Turn 1 reserves arrival was a fairly new development in the game.  We are seeing a shift away from the super alpha starts.

I’m looking forward to it.

• Like 1