Eldar list: fast, Faster, FASTEST!

JMGraham

• 1 month later...

So, looking at the new Corsair stuff online (ordered my copy, but got a notice that the package was found empty by the USPS :( thankfully, Forge World customer service is the best and I just have to wait a bit longer). Given the models I've painted already, I might have to stick with Eldar and Dark Eldar allies. With that said, I could switch out a unit of Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent for a Lynx. Likely less effective, but it'll look awesome. Thoughts?

• Like 1

The Lynx is fairly solid now, if still expensive. It's typically gonna clock in at ~300pts and needs to be held in reserve if you're not going first, but if you're trying to blast heavy targets into oblivion there's few things better. Dragons will potentially hit a bit harder at short ranges (depending on exactly what you're shooting) and can sometimes dodge Ion Shields and whatnot thanks to Battle Focus shenanigans, but the Lynx is less suicidal and can start its work earlier in a lot of cases.

Skathach Wraithknight is brutal. Inferno Lances Clown the Heavy Wraithcannon the majority of the time, Deathshrouds are amazing if you've already got enough anti-tank, and the ability to jump into reserves is super-handy. It can also sneakily move further than a normal Wraithknight because of its teleport rules, if a bit unreliably so- you can "deep strike" within 12" of your starting position, but since you always measure closest-to-closest you can essentially get an extra ~5" out of that thanks to the size of the WK's base (plus or minus whatever your d6" scatter results in, of course.)

• Like 2

Hmmm... 270 seems like the bare bones cost. 255 for the Lynx, 15 for the holofields, and 10 for spirit stones. I'd probably add a bright lance to have compatible weapons for another 5 points. Without that added protection, it seems wasteful. It works out to be a bit more than my previous Fire Dragon in Wave Serpent kit, but as you said, it can start doing damage turn one.

So... It'll look awesome, be fun to paint, be as easy or easier for my opponent to take down (AV12 5 HP, no serpent shield), and roughly as effective. Sounds like a win to me!

• Like 1

Torg, given what I have painted already, I'm probably locked into the Eldar with Dark Eldar allies thing. As such, the Eldar entry for the Lynx lets you take the standard Eldar vehicle wargear. I hear you about points, though. The Corsairs have lots of neat stuff, but they also seem to pay for it.

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the release of the 2nd Edition of IA11, I have a new iteration of the list. Unfortunately, given some of the changes, it makes it harder for me to justify going full corsair (given the model I already have painted). I can build toward it, but it won't be done by the OFCC. Given my limitations of models, I'm switching to an Eldar CAD with Corsair Allies. This means I'll use the webway portal drop-anywhere-and-delete-a-unit-or-two D-scythe Wraithguard unit. In practice, that unit hasn't seemed overpowered, but it is incredibly demoralizing to opponents. I can always switch back to the Eldar/Dark Eldar combo for competitive play.

I've got some points left to spend, and need some advice. Here's what I've got so far (listed by function, not CAD):

2000 Eldar CAD with Eldar Corsairs Allied Detachment

Jetbike Farseer, Singing Spear

No changes here. He's a useful buff for the rest of the army.

Corsair Prince with shadow field, void sabre, and FnP
5 D-scythe Wraithguard, in a Wave Serpent with bright lances,  holofields and ghostwalk matrix and vectored engine

The Corsair Prince lacks the deepstrike-without-deviation of the webway portal, and now the Wave Serpent has to get across the board on it's own. With that said, a S5 AP3 Rending sword, 2++ save, FnP, T6 (majority toughness of the unit) character with defensive grenades is EXACTLY what this unit needed. The problem in the past has been that the unit would drop in, destroy something, then get charged and bogged down in combat. Now, it's got teeth! He took out most of a squad of 10 Longfangs by himself before a Wolf Lord charged in last game.

5 Scatter-laser Jetbikes
5 Scatter-laser Jetbikes
8 Warp Spiders (7 + Exarch)
5 Corsairs with splinter rifles in a Venom with kinetic shroud  2 splinter cannons

The Exarchs are working out great - it makes the Warp Spiders so much reliable to automatically pass morale tests and the like. I cut down to one unit of Warp Spiders for my OFCC list because they are simply too damn effective. The competitive list will see them back in, but for now one big unit is plenty. The Corsairs are more expensive than Dark Eldar (125 points) and less effective (I'd rather have a 5++ all of the time except only vs shooting and only when moving), but they are what they are. These units represent my main fire-base. Tons of high-strength or poisoned shots on highly mobile platforms. 

3 Jetbikes
3 Jetbikes

Still solid performers, no issues here.

2 Hornets with Pulsars and Holofields
2 Wasp Assault Walkers with starcannons and deepstrike

This is my high strength AP2 shooting. The Hornets are great, and I've only just switched to the Wasps. They're pricier than War Walkers, but a 4++ rerollable from shooting when they drop in, and d6+1 S5 Hammer of Wrath hits each when they drop in is awesome. Looking forward to playing with them!

Lynx with lynx pulsar, holofields, ghostwalk matrix, and spirit stones.

This replaces the Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent (who had previously replaced the 2 Fire Prisms). It fills the role of tank-LoW buster exceedingly well. The Fire Dragons were great, but I switched to this mostly because I always wanted to paint the model, and dropping it in price and from a LoW to a HS choice sealed the deal. So versatile. Such a threat. It took down a kitted-out Chaos Knight titan in the first turn of one game. It was lucky as hell, but marvelous! Because the Lynx is so strong (and fragile) it tends to take a lot of enemy fire and attention. As a result, it's ended up making the rest of my army more effective, as they take less fire. The ranged D is a bit brutal (I always use the ITC modified rules, of course), but lets me still have fun when playing against tougher armies. And damn, that model is gorgeous. 

All that leaves me with another 110 points or so to spend. Before, I had it in Warp Spiders, but they're too damn fantastic and frustrating to play against. One unit is enough! I expect this unit to be squishy, and give my opponent something they can kill and feel good about. I could add:
* Another unit of Corsairs in a Venom, possibly kitted out with 2 fusion guns and haywire grenades, or for close combat, or with shuriken catapults and haywire (these would be troops)
* A unit of the Heavy Support Corsairs with jetpacks, who could drop in with either a few Dark Lances (for anti-vehicle) or a few Splinter Cannons (for anti-horde / MC)
* A unit of infiltrating jetpack corsairs, possibly just kitted for close combat and haywire grenades. (Again, these would be troops).

But I'm not sure what it is that my list needs. I feel that, save for anti-air, I have my bases pretty well covered. Any suggestions about what's missing?
  • Like 1

nice list revision.  I am still torn on my corsair changes myself.  for the extra points... I like the idea of a unit of jetpack corsairs myself.  Fits the basic theme - and are cool looking.  Go with a heavy support build or bare bones CC.  IMO

-d

I'm excited about the jetpack stuff, too! They are fragile as all get-out, but with the rules changes, they seem incredibly mobile. Am I correct in reading that they can move in the movement phase, and then move 1d6+6 in the shooting phase (if they shot at a unit within 12" of them), and then their jetpacks let them move another 2d6 in the assault phase? Talk about get in, strike, and re-position.

I have some Dark Elf Corsairs and some Eldar bits that I was planning on trying to convert into jetpacks. I think I'll see what I can do with a test model or two.

• Like 1

Remember that the Jetpack upgrade also comes with a "free" 4+ armor save; it's easy to miss.

The list looks pretty good, although I would drop the Holofields from the Hornets- spending points to make an AV11 HP2 skimmer more survivable is rarely a gamble that will work out well.

If you're looking to fill stuff, another Corsair squad in Venom wouldn't be bad- though personally I would run a Scatter Laser on top (or a Shuriken Cannon if you're averse) and either the Lasblaster or Splinter Cannon underneath. Getting Meltaguns in the squads is very handy, as it lets you Scout forward and take out transports early, even if it means the poor Corsairs will probably die.

You could also look towards making an Aspect Host with your Warp Spiders and some other stuff. Swooping Hawks are a very fun unit that, while it has lots of abilities that let you do fun stuff and mess up all kinds of enemy targets, still feel very "fair" in most cases. They also pair well with the Spiders, in my experience. You'd need to find points to fit a third unit of something if you were to actually run the Host, since I don't think you have a free FA slot in the list at this point.

• Like 2

Hey Torg (or others!), what "obsession" do you fancy for your Prince? I've been using Survivor of the Endless Darkness, but the FnP really only helps against low strength attacks; T3 makes Instant Death really easy to come by and low strength attacks usually aren't much of a threat to him in a T6 unit with a 2++. The second chance at keeping the shadowfield active is pretty nice, though. I also usually forget about It Will Not Die (but being in a Fearless unit helps with the downside of a failed test). I've also been considering the combat drugs or Rampage.

AP & Fluger: I've liked the look of Swooping Hawks for a while. With that said, what do they do that jetpack corsairs with lasblasters and haywire grenades don't? Is the attack when they drop in and the ability to leave the board that big of a deal? And are lasblasters actually worthwhile? Three shots is nice, but the S3 and high AP turn me off.

I do have the Fast Attack slot, if need be, and could have another. My FA for the Eldar CAD are the Warp Spiders and Hornets. If need be (and if I were droppng holofields), I could move the Hornets to the Corsair detachment with no loss of points or rules. The Wasps are elite in the Corsairs (which is the only way to get the kinetic shrouds and deep strike).

• Like 1