The New Dwarf Book

I have the Dwarf book in my hands.

1) There is no massive centerpiece model.

2) There are only two new units, Irondrakes and

Gyrobombers..

3) There are few new models: Hammerers, Irondrakes, Ironbreakers, Gyrocopters, Gyrobombers, an Engineer, a Runesmith, Dragon Slayer, and a Thane on a Oathstone.

4) The Ancestral Grudge rumors are true. Dwarfs hate any unit in the Skaven or Orc and Goblin book. This includes giants, trolls, Squigs!

5) All Dwarf handguns, crossbows, pistols, drake guns, drake pistols have no negatives when standing and shooting..

6) Dwarfs have +1 Strenght on the turn they charge!

7) They do not need to make Leadership test to March.

8 ) When charged and if they bear shields, Dwarfs have +1 to parry. (Sweet!)

9) They have +2 to dispel attempts unless allied with spell casters..

10) Oathstone do not have to be planted nor do they give up VPs. A unit with an Oathstone cannot flee as a charge reaction, they cannot be disrupted, and can parry in all directions. The character with the stone must accept challenges..

This is a huge improvement.

11) Shieldbearers rock. Why would you take a Dwarf Lord without one. It grants the Ld +2 wounds and +2 to the armour save in addition to the standard additional two attacks.

12) Runelords and Runesmiths no longer automatically add dispel dice. They can channel and grant the unit armour piercing and magic resistance.

13) The Anvil has changed dramatically. It is a war machine granted the Runelord two more wounds and makes him unbreakable. The Anvil starts with a 5+ ward save (3+ vs spells!) . The Anvil grants +1 power dice and dispel dice. Instead of one activating one rune per turn, it can use up to 3 bound spells. The Anvil can make a units Immune to Pysch, a +1 armor save, or 2D6 S4 hits.

14) Command units are now 10/10/10 , except for Slayers Giant Slayers are 12 points.

15) Quarrellers cost more and have heavy armor

16) Thunderers have heavy armor and cost less (they are now the same as Quarrellers), but lost the +1 to hit.

17) Longbeards are no longer one for one Warrior unit (Huzzah). The cost one more point. They are no longer Immune to Panic, but Immune to Pychology.

18) Hammerers are better. They lose Immunity to Fear or Terror if a Lord is in their unit, but they gain an extra attack and each model in the unit can accept a challenge. They cost two more points a model and they are worth the points.

19) Slayers did not get a boon. They are still special selections. They cost a point more. They always wound on a 4+ unless they need less to wound (this no longer caps out as in the previous book). The only new rule they receive allows the model to make a single attack the moment it is slain from a close combat attack or a stomp.

Against monster Dragon Slayers do d3 Multiple Wounds.

Ward saves against a Daemon Slayer must be re-rolled and gain the multiple wound rule against monsters.

20) Ironbreaker cost one more point, but gain a leadership point and gain a +1 to parry (ths is a 4+ parry if they are charged). The unit champion can take a brake of drake pistols and bombs that act as a stone thrower with rar piercing.

21) Miners are a point cheaper! They use the standard ambush rules. Blasting charge are now a one use only 4 inch, quick to fire, flaming, S4, armor piercing, missile weapon. The charges let them do something the moment they arrive.

22) War Machines lose engineers as extra crew. Bolt Throwers and Cannons are more expensive. All war machines can take up to a 100 points in runes. The crews are still stubborn.

23) Gyrocopter are now special. You can take up to six in an army. They are dirt cheap and have the ability to upgrade to vanguard. One per game, they can dive bomb doing S3, armor piercing, attacks to a unit they fly over. The number of bombs is determined by an artillery dice. The Gyrocopter can take a gun with an18 inch range at d3 multi-[big bad swear word]s that are flaming, armor piercing, quick to fire, and Strength 5.

They are no longer fast cav, but I think you will see a lot of these in Dwarf Armies.

24) Rangers are now rare. They have great weapons, throwing axes, and crossbows, but cost as much as Hammerers. They can no longer be Longbeards.

25) Organ Guns can now take runes and have a 30 inch range. They have to roll to hit now, but now two artillery dice to determine the number of hits. If they roll a single misfire, they are -1 to hit. If two are rolled, then it misfires on the cannon chart. An Organ Gun can fire up to 20 S5 armor piercing shots!

Organ guns can now take engineering runes!

26) Flame Cannons can fire up to an extra 12 inches before using the fire thrower rules. It can take engineering runes!

27) Irondrakes are Ironbreakers who have exchanged their shields for Drake Guns. Drake Guns have an 18 inch range with S5, Flaming attacks, armor piercing, and are quick to fire.

Irondrakes will be pretty good at killing knights and trolls.

28) Gyrobombers are the Gyrocopters big brother. They are the price of the old gyro. The bombers can put the pie plate over a unit they have flown over. It acts like an armor piercing stone thrower. After the damage is resolved, the bomb scatters d6, and uses the small template. It has the potential to pound lightly armored infantry units.. The bomber also has a quick to fire, S4, armour piercing, multi-shot gun.

29) Dwarfs do not get magic items out of the BRB.

30) They have access to their own magic weapons called heirloom weapons..

31) Dwarfs have for pages of runic items. The runes are created like before, but are slightly different in function. Multiples of the same rune do not repeat the same effect. Instead, they add additional boosts.

Huh, I heard in the other thread that the anvil sucked... sounds to me like pure awesome +1 Save? Yes please! Immune to psych? Yes Please! 2D6 S4 hits? Yes Please!

The immune to psych will be situational, but the others are gold. What is the range on the bound spells or are they whole table like before? Whole table 2d6 hits sounds like just what the Dwarfs need to destroy far flung warmachines and pesky fast cav/ skirmish units that normally dance around them.

You're hardly ever going to get the Anvil to work dkieft, it is a bound magic item, remember most people take a wizard lord and get +4 to dispell, so it means you have to throw two extra dice over what is needed just to have a chance.  I also disagree, immune to psych on a leadership 10 army with a BSB is pointless.  I don't understand how they justify the points. 

You're hardly ever going to get the Anvil to work dkieft, it is a bound magic item, remember most people take a wizard lord and get +4 to dispell, so it means you have to throw two extra dice over what is needed just to have a chance.  I also disagree, immune to psych on a leadership 10 army with a BSB is pointless.  I don't understand how they justify the points. 

Well lets see... I get 2D6 dispel dice, you get they highest of those two...   That means... I have more dice than you... to add that extra dice or two as needed to help get by your wizard level...

Two dice to JUST to have a chance? Wow! my dice must be all Ones and Twos! Cause I am pretty sure that there is a chance if I roll decently with dice that have up to 6 pips... might not be the best chance... but there is plenty of chance. Lets see it on the table before claiming that we have no chance....

Immune to xxxxxxx is never pointless. There will be times that you will fail rolls and being able to nullify that is always a good thing. As I said, it will be situational but it can be a battle changer.

We got any news on that range yet?

Edit: Also, is it mobile or stationary?

Winners: Longbeards, Hammererss, Gyrocopters. Resolute. Shieldbearers. Oathstones.

Solid potential: Runesmiths, Flame Cannons with a Rune of Forging, Irondrakes. Shield wall.

Losers: Warriors, Thunderers, Quarrellers, Anvil of Doom, Slayers. The heirlooms items and a half a dozen pointless runes.

The book seems like a bunch of tweaks. Overall, the Dwarfs are more expensive than before. I wanted bear riders, zeppelins, golems, etc. There is not enough new models. The slayers could have been redone. The current warriors , thunderers, and quarrellers are less than satisfactory. I prefer the old metals.

19) Slayers did not get a boon. They are still special selections. They cost a point more. They always wound on a 4+ unless they need less to wound (this no longer caps out as in the previous book). The only new rule they receive allows the model to make a single attack the moment it is slain from a close combat attack or a stomp.

Against monster Dragon Slayers do d3 Multiple Wounds.

Ward saves against a Daemon Slayer must be re-rolled and gain the multiple wound rule against monsters.

It seems to me that this "Attack as they die" is huge for slayers. Being more expensive sucks but at least the ones who die before I2 get to do something. The Character abilities seem cool, hard to say if they are "THAT" cool though.

• Like 1

Derk,

The Immune to Psch ability is cast on all friendly units within 24 inches. The extra armor is a single unit within 24". The directed damage attack is one unit within 24 inches.

Ick, Limiting the range that much sucks. If mobile it would not be too bad, but as a static piece it won't be as effective unless your army is also static.

Well lets see... I get 2D6 dispel dice, you get they highest of those two...   That means... I have more dice than you... to add that extra dice or two as needed to help get by your wizard level...

Two dice to JUST to have a chance? Wow! my dice must be all Ones and Twos! Cause I am pretty sure that there is a chance if I roll decently with dice that have up to 6 pips... might not be the best chance... but there is plenty of chance. Lets see it on the table before claiming that we have no chance....

Immune to xxxxxxx is never pointless. There will be times that you will fail rolls and being able to nullify that is always a good thing. As I said, it will be situational but it can be a battle changer.

We got any news on that range yet?

Edit: Also, is it mobile or stationary?

Give it a try, if you get it to work more power to you, if was not the same point value it was before and was instead was a lot cheaper, or even better a lone rare choice instead of a character mount, I might give it a try.  You are right, I admit immune to panic is not worthless, but to me it is not worth 300+ points (Anvil plus Runelord)? Especially when your Runelord gives buffs to units, buffs you are paying for, and the anvil cannot join a unit (they missed a great opportunity here, could have had an Anvil/Throne of power duel kit :( ).  Another trick is to take two of them so you can attempt to stack the armour saves but that would use up all of your lord points.  As it now stands, my three anvils will now go into hibernation, maybe 9th will make it better, but until then I would rather include a flame cannon or a unit of Iron Drakes. 

Hey Raindog, what is your thought on why you think warriors lost?  I thought the +1 strength/save and possible hatred helped them, and with the potential increased power of the oathstone and the runesmith buff, that they had gotten a little better.  Not being argumentative, I'm just curious about what your train of thought is.

Personally I don't think I will include warriors, to me Longbeards are the way to go only because they give you access to magic banners, which in my mind are a must have.  In fact I'm thinking two units of longbeards with shields, one with stubborn, the other with slowness will be my staple.  Each will have a runesmith and a thane, one will be a BSB and at least one will have an oathstone if not both, plus give both access to a flaming breath weapon, two dispel scrolls and that devastating charge warhorn.

I just don't see how Iornbreakers will be an advantage to take over hammerers.  With the longbeards being the anvil I don't need another anvil unit, besides I just can't spare the points especially when hammerers can take 75 points of runes.  I'm going to fit two units of 21 hammerers in as many lists as I can, again not just for their ability to hit, but for their access to banners, especially valaya.

Two gyros and a cannon will be in almost every list as well, they are just too good, I really like the flame cannon and iron drakes as well, but I worry there may be too many flaming attacks. 

I won't be able to play until the end of march so I'm going to live vicariously through you Raindog, no pressure. :) 

I too am disappointed, but the book still has its strengths even if it is dull.

@dkieft: Slayers attacking as they die is a cool rule, but the loss of armor modification with Slayer Axes more than makes up for it. They're still a better unit than people let on, but no anvil for charges plus having to use GW to fight tougher enemies is a pretty big negative given their cost increase.

Okay, I take it back. I found a roll for slayers. In units of five, they are perfect darts. You have to kill them all to get by them, and their death low ability lets them punish anything trying to blow by them. I can see 2-3 drops at 60 points each. They can easily die from a charge of fast cav, but with GW attacks, they can 3-4 of enemy with them.