X-wing 2.0

7 hours ago, Ish said:

New editions happen. It’s nice that upgrade kits are even available. 

True, not all the different than buying 4 army codex when a new edition comes out.

But, I must point out this ironic slip...

On 10/19/2018 at 10:56 AM, Skkipper said:

I will pay more over the next few weeks to get the real flavor of the game.

Indeed you will pay a great deal more 🤣. I guess I’m just spoiled playing games with free rules. As such, paying $200+ for an edition switch seems like robbery! But nobody gets into minis because it is affordable. Glad first impressions are positive, are you playing in the Portland area?

• Like 1

Well yeah, it would be much cheaper to only play with 1/3 of your collection.

But who does that?

Regardless, to bring just my empire collection up to speed I would need $130 of upgrades. This is for 2 regular boxsets, because I have enough tie fighters for a tie swarm, plus one more for the "First order" which are just more recent wave ships. 

Again, I could take the cheaper option and never play pure tie swarms, but that's a bunch of bantha poo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten one game in of the new version, and really enjoyed it.  I do miss this game...it got too many releases and the constant flow of new ships with new rules was too much.  I think that burned a lot of people out.  Coming back with a fresh look, and remembering how cool all these models are, definitely makes me want to play more 🙂

I have bought one of each of the conversion kits...definitely short a few things, and have too many of a few more.

Also makes me realize I need to find a whole new way to organize everything.

2 hours ago, shmitty said:

I've only gotten in a couple of games of 2.0 myself, but I feel like the update was really solid all around.  They managed to make the game better for competitive and causal play at the same time.

So that's my question. I haven't played in a long time, and own a rebel and empire lists (Falcon, slave 1, etc). You'd have to really sway me to drop money on stuff i own again...

Also I don't know what i need to buy to convert, it's convoluted. I own X-wings, y-wing, falcon, a-wing, etc. Empire is like ties, interceptors, slave 1, etc. Nothing major was just enough to give flavor a long time ago. 

5 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

So that's my question. I haven't played in a long time, and own a rebel and empire lists (Falcon, slave 1, etc). You'd have to really sway me to drop money on stuff i own again...

Also I don't know what i need to buy to convert, it's convoluted. I own X-wings, y-wing, falcon, a-wing, etc. Empire is like ties, interceptors, slave 1, etc. Nothing major was just enough to give flavor a long time ago. 

Each conversion kit contains enough cardboard (ship tiles, dials, pilot cards, upgrade cards, tokens) to convert between 2 and 4 copies of each ship released in 1.0.  Your swarm options like the TiE/ln or Z-95 Headhunter have 4.  X-wings, B-wings, Tie Adv,  Firespray, YT-1300 are 2x per box.  Usually there's an oddball with 3 - the A-Wing and the TiE Interceptor.  There's been some slight changes to the movement templates and mechanics for barrel roll, target lock, and a few tweaks in the different phases of a turn.  You may be able to get away with not picking up a Core Set for causal play, but eventually you'll probably want to. 

I can give you a hands-on demo, if you can make it up to Mythic in Vancouver on Wednesday nights for our regular Star Wars night,  6-10PM.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

Each conversion kit contains enough cardboard (ship tiles, dials, pilot cards, upgrade cards, tokens) to convert between 2 and 4 copies of each ship released in 1.0.  Your swarm options like the TiE/ln or Z-95 Headhunter have 4.  X-wings, B-wings, Tie Adv,  Firespray, YT-1300 are 2x per box.  Usually there's an oddball with 3 - the A-Wing and the TiE Interceptor.  There's been some slight changes to the movement templates and mechanics for barrel roll, target lock, and a few tweaks in the different phases of a turn.  You may be able to get away with not picking up a Core Set for causal play, but eventually you'll probably want to. 

I can give you a hands-on demo, if you can make it up to Mythic in Vancouver on Wednesday nights for our regular Star Wars night,  6-10PM.

My biggest thing is I can't see myself wanting to spend $100 just to get new dials that will get outclassed again in a v3.0? I only have stuff from maybe wave 2. Meaning most of what I own is older and likely still not strong even with upgrades. Hmm, maybe buy the upgrade and sell off the extras i don't own? 

I might be able to get buy with 1 conversion kit of rebel and empire, then left with a TON of extras as I don't own much else than wave 1 & 2 stuff.

9 hours ago, Exile said:

How often, and for how many armies, do you update 40k?  Just asking.  If all you have is Wave 1/2, it may be worth your while to look into splitting out the contents, or just trying to pickup stuff on a secondary market.

I don't. I update one army in 40k, and the cost to do so is minimal to the MANY MANY models of Necrons I own. That said, X-wing didn't give me any models, they're selling cards and cardboard chits at $50. That's the joke really for what 5-7 models.