Oregon grocery bags

Portland was no plastic first, but it was just portland. Now it's everywhere.

But the big change is my local store now charges 5cents per paper bag. I'm not sure if the bag cost is uniform.

It hurts when living on a limited income.

Like when they raised despoit to 10cents, increased the number of things with deposit, and simotaneously made it very difficult to return cans without a car.

Nickeled and dimed to death....

4 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

there is also this thing called re-usable bags. I think the benefit far outweighs the cost.

Yeah. I hadn't used an actual grocery bag in years even before the time that law showed up here. Even if not a purpose-made reusable grocery bag, a backpack or similar can do just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I use the grocery bags as garbage bags.  I haven't purchased garbage bags in almost 6 years.  I only have to take the garbage can to the curb every other week with the amount of space saved in the can, as well.  

Studies have shown this to be common and cut down on the purchase of heavier density plastic garbage bags. 

• Thanks 2

It's a mixed issue. Thinner bags tear more easily, and pieces from them or whole bags are carried farther by the wind, so they're more of a problem when it comes to the effects on wildlife and such. I don't have enough data to do a cost/benefit comparison, but I do know it's not a one-sided issue.

Also, plastic bags are actually better than paper bags if they both end up in a landfill. Pretty much nothing biodegrades in there on any reasonable timescale, so the fact that the plastic bag takes up less space becomes a bigger factor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Are you suggesting that Big Oil is the reason for grocery bag bans so as to recoup the lost profits from people being frugal and wise? 😂😄

My wife explained the pros and cons to me. I am just relaying her reliable information. 

• Thanks 2

In the Portland area you are begging hard to have no excuse for not having re-usable shopping bags.

There's been SO many free bag drives that you have no excuse not to have picked some up.

That's how I've grocery shopped for the last 2 decades... really easy... but then screws you for garbage bags 😉

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I use the grocery bags as garbage bags.  I haven't purchased garbage bags in almost 6 years.  I only have to take the garbage can to the curb every other week with the amount of space saved in the can, as well.  

We have a dumpster. Wouldn't even put trash in bags at all, but apartment building has a rule that they must be in actual garbage bags.

16 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

there is also this thing called re-usable bags. I think the benefit far outweighs the cost.

Plastic bags ARE re-useable. And a fair number of the so-called "re-usuable bags" are made with plastic....And since "re-usuable bags" are in heavy circulation, in a number of years, it's those bags that will be in the landfills because we have too many.

As for costs, the main thing here is that bags used to come with the product, now we buy them seperately. That's a cost increase, or rather a decrease in product/service purchased. Even if you were in the boat that declined their bags and brought your own, it's still a service that the store is no longer offering and you aren't getting anything to replace it. That's a loss for you, the consumer.

Dunno, it's like if they charged you a rental fee for use of a bottle opener when you bought a beer. Even if it was only a nickel, it's a charge for something that used to be free.