Opinions on this years OFCC comp pack?

I don't think anyone has ever said you're absolutely never allowed to bring a model/unit(barring SC) if you want to bring a hard unit? Cool.

If you bring a hard unit en masse, and combo it up we are treading in the territory of maybe too powerful.

If you want bring nothing but power combos and units and expect that to be okay I need you to do this for me:

Ask yourself these questions and be 100% honest with yourself

" Why am I entering this event? Why am I bringing such a hard list? Am I trying my best to provide the best game I can for my opponent? Am I right for this event?"

Those questions are critical to the lasting success of the event. A few times their importance had fallen to the wayside and people didn't enjoy themselves

I'll gladly share my first fantasy OFCC experience again if anyone wants to know how not to do an OFCC in hopes of enlightenment for the masses.

I'll gladly share my first fantasy OFCC experience again if anyone wants to know how not to do an OFCC in hopes of enlightenment for the masses.

Yeah, my first wants as good as I could have hoped either... I was not overpowered though, I was rated high and underpowered (plus not playing so hot... and the dice were sucking too). My first day sucked, my second day was much more fun. I got into it with the wrong attitude and it stayed with me that first day... but I have been to almost every OFCC since and have had a blast every time.

I think HeroZero hit the mark pretty good. The Comp is not bad in the least because no units aside from Special Characters are banned and only spams of powerful units are a no no.

You want to bring Witch Elves and a CoB, great go for it but there is a reasonable limit. Want Warlocks? Hell yes! Well 10 is more than enough. If you want to bring a large bus unit of Warlocks and 3 or more heroes, as a Dark Elf player I can say that you are not interested in your opponent's having any fun. In fact you might be interested in drinking their tears of frustration.

So why do you feel the need to spam the best in your book? Is it really for fun, or because you know it will bring you easier wins?

The Rating part I can see players feeling it is not defined but I don't see how they can define it. If they set a x+y=z rating people will find ways to break it. If it is left to the panel then it is more fluid and they can look at a new player's list and see that even though they took a couple of good units they are missing the key to make it a 5, so they give it a 3. Or they see a more expert player who does tournaments and see that their list beats the loop holes and creates a wicked combo that merits a 5 when beginner players might see it as being a weak list.

If they make a solid way of rating I am positive there are many here who will see it as a challenge to break it. We are human after all.

I like having a system for rating. I show up for some beer and pizza time. On that note, I do like having the opportunity to fight some tougher lists in addition to even fights. The tougher list may not always be the better general. Some unit spam is no big deal and may be legit if your army is thematic a force of all Night Goblins having 4-5 big blocks of Night Goblins really should not be an issue but I could see where some people would not like it.  

Murphy, there are still powerful spams in every book.  the only ones which are limited are the ones published more frequently on the webs.  I could almost get 3 dreadlords and 2 masters on dark steeds.  I could still rock 60 executioneers.  I could take 100 dreadspears.  I could take 8 cold one chariots.  My point is that by limiting certain units, you may take others and most people won't know the problem with them until it's too late.  Heck, I could take 5 characters, 1 unit of dreadspears, 2 rbt's, and a folding fortress.  List done.  Is that OFCC?  Heck no; however, again, I am just pointing out that stupid combo's are still out there.

Murphy, there are still powerful spams in every book.  the only ones which are limited are the ones published more frequently on the webs.  I could almost get 3 dreadlords and 2 masters on dark steeds.  I could still rock 60 executioneers.  I could take 100 dreadspears.  I could take 8 cold one chariots.  My point is that by limiting certain units, you may take others and most people won't know the problem with them until it's too late.  Heck, I could take 5 characters, 1 unit of dreadspears, 2 rbt's, and a folding fortress.  List done.  Is that OFCC?  Heck no; however, again, I am just pointing out that stupid combo's are still out there.

That is why we use a list rating committee as well.

I know MN, but that is also why you are on Raindog's watch list. :wink: (Not saying you really are.)

But yes, it is there just to stop the most well known spam abuses. But hopefully the Captains and rating committee catches the ones not put into the comp.

Sometimes I wonder if you should be on the committee, you seem to find amazing combos where others do not.

I'm gonna hazard an overly educated guess here.... The "restrictions" really are a time saver for the list raters to rehashing the crap they don't want already.

*hint I'm right*

Save time and arguments along with providing a guideline on what will be rejected?

You're right.

But as long as players keep the idea that this is a Fun event and not a tournament where some team fully expect to lose most of their games, then I think players will be fine.

My team I am on has called themselves the Points Pinatas because of their lose records and you might get what the attitude is for Old School players that keep returning year after year.

It's true! We have to reject a number of jerk lists every year form people who just don't get it... waste of our time...   :wink:

It's true! We have to reject a number of jerk lists every year form people who just don't get it... waste of our time...   :wink:

That is pretty dumb.  That's my whole point about the captain responsibility.  If they aren't willing to reject lists before they get to your level, action should be taken with the captain.  The captain should have the correct knowledge needed for every army list under his command.  That's my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

Cool models/conversions/'counts as' has never been rejected at the OFCC (unless the list was excessive, which in my experience hasn't happened).  If you want to do a cool conversion army with an awesome theme, then by all means go for it - just count them as Boyz instead of Savage Orcs and BAM!...problem solved.  If someone is more interested in the modeling then don't use them as the power unit, go for something tamer.

I can't get into the "comp pack" from work because the the web filters block the work Fantasy. I do most of my internet stuff at work and tend to avoid it at home. 

Anyway Ill get to my question. In an O'nG list would the following be considered this spam I am hearing people complain about?

Warboss +Wyvern

Shaman+Wyvern

Giant

Giant

Spider

(fill in the rest with assorted units)

The bosses would be nearly naked and its all pretty much cannon fodder. Seems fun and fluffy and greenskinny!

I can't get into the "comp pack" from work because the the web filters block the work Fantasy. I do most of my internet stuff at work and tend to avoid it at home.

Anyway Ill get to my question. In an O'nG list would the following be considered this spam I am hearing people complain about?

Warboss +Wyvern

Shaman+Wyvern

Giant

Giant

Spider

(fill in the rest with assorted units)

The bosses would be nearly naked and its all pretty much cannon fodder. Seems fun and fluffy and greenskinny!

Nope, you're good. The comp is 40 SO and only 6 Warmachines. That's it.

So bring on the Wyverns you slobbering git!

• Like 1