9th Age Escalation Campaign

@Wentwizard Sorry about before. If you would be so kind, please add me to the list again. I'll conform.

I realized that the points that @TheBeninator was making about 2k games were totally valid, plus I was having trouble with unposted rules, which have since been posted, and I've been working on a T9A army in the background and I will definitely have 2k up and running by January and would love to learn to play with you guys.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

So, hey, raindog, if you ever decide to paint some more dwarves, it's notable that the T9A dwarf core troops can take Spears. Bet you don't already have a dwarf spear unit. And they've got some really cool dwarf spear regiments online.

Not only that, but they also got a Monstrous infantry unit (Hold Guardians) and a flying chariot (Grudge buster). They are much more versatile than "stand in the corner and shoot".

Just like infinity ;D

5 hours ago, splinx said:

If you wanna borrow an army to play you are welcome buddy? 

I wanna borrow one of your armies!!!

1 hour ago, TheBeninator said:

Not only that, but they also got a Monstrous infantry unit (Hold Guardians) and a flying chariot (Grudge buster). They are much more versatile than "stand in the corner and shoot".

Just like infinity ;D

I wanna borrow one of your armies!!!

You are always welcome benny!  We need to organize a time for you to come over and have a game at my place first as that is pretty much the only place I can game at the moment with the little one. ! 

• Like 1

Just now, paxmiles said:

@Wentwizard Sorry about before. If you would be so kind, please add me to the list again. I'll conform.

I realized that the points that @TheBeninator was making about 2k games were totally valid, plus I was having trouble with unposted rules, which have since been posted, and I've been working on a T9A army in the background and I will definitely have 2k up and running by January and would love to learn to play with you guys.

Apology accepted Pax. I'll happily add you back to the email list for the campaign. I hope that if you have similar concerns going forward that we can resolve them in a more collaborative fashion. At the heart of it all my goal is to make this a fun event centered around the storytelling aspects of the game. I'll be making a few rules tweaks to support the campaign narrative, but not with the intention of favoring or handicapping any particular armies. Keep an eye on your inbox this weekend for the teams, campaign rules, and a description of the first scenario.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ish said:

I’ve a large WHFB Empire army which was made up of samurai and ashigaru from historical miniatures manufactures and not GW stuff. It’s been in storage back in Michigan, but I’m trying to make arraignments to get it shipped to me here... 

If that happens, I might jump into this league. Big, fat, monstrous creature sized “if” on that though.

Well, my mom came through for me in epic fashion. She shipped me a giant 35 lbs. box of stuff, including my entire Samurai army, my box of bitz, and some AD&D2e books that were promptly stolen by my eldest.

Two cross-state moves, five years in a storage locker, and then being UPS’d across the continent haven’t been kind. A lot of snapped spears, bent banner poles, and just good old fashioned “the glue done give’d out” has left my army a bit worse for wear... and my cavalry seems to have vanished into the Warp.

Other than the missing cavalry, nothing that cannot be fixed with proper application of superglue and harsh language. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ish said:

Well, my mom came through for me in epic fashion. She shipped me a giant 35 lbs. box of stuff, including my entire Samurai army, my box of bitz, and some AD&D2e books that were promptly stolen by my eldest.

Two cross-state moves, five years in a storage locker, and then being UPS’d across the continent haven’t been kind. A lot of snapped spears, bent banner poles, and just good old fashioned “the glue done give’d out” has left my army a bit worse for wear... and my cavalry seems to have vanished into the Warp.

Other than the missing cavalry, nothing that cannot be fixed with proper application of superglue and harsh language. 

Does this mean the Samauri legions will be joining the fray?

22 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

Does this mean the Samauri legions will be joining the fray?

Probably not anytime soon. I’m going to need space to unbox them all, take a proper roll-call and damage report, repair and rebuild.

But, between holidays, end of year job stuff, and so forth, my house is in an absolute state. I should be able to see the top of my hobby desk by mid-January... if I’m lucky. 

I’ll probably force myself to start a progress blog thread... Oh, I should also read the T9A rulebook at some point too.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Wentwizard said:

That is correct. I’ll send out the campaign rules at the end of the sign up window on Dec 14. I’m still working on the rules modifications for the smaller point games. They’ll probably be something along the lines of what Auto2 suggests in this thread from the 9th Age forum but scaled up to fit 2k: https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/index.php?thread/45910-making-ninth-age-scale-down-to-1000-points-warbands/

Suggests free musicians and champions. Looking over my options.

Probably shouldn't allow free champions to units with the Wizard Conclave special rule. Especially if also reducing minimum unit sizes.

7 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I don't understand what that means 😔

The price in the book for wizard conclave upgrade (eg 100) minus 20 points (normal champ upgrade cost) = new price for wizard conclave upgrade (eg 80). 

Therefore you only "lose out" if you dont take the conclave upgrade. But you dont get 80 pts for free.

Wacha think?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

The price in the book for wizard conclave upgrade (eg 100) minus 20 points (normal champ upgrade cost) = new price for wizard conclave upgrade (eg 80). 

Therefore you only "lose out" if you dont take the conclave upgrade. But you dont get 80 pts for free.

Wacha think?

Minor correction: The Unit has Wizard Conclave with or without a champion. The Wizard Conclave rule just doesn't do anything if you don't select a champion. The rule makes the champion into a Wizard Adept AND gives the champion +1 HP. Basically makes them into a mini-character.

Daemonic Legions pay 120pts for a Champion in either of our Wizard Conclave units (Eidolons or Veil Serpents). Getting the free champion isn't as much of an issue, as free champion ON A REDUCED UNIT MINIMUM SIZE unit, as is also suggested by the linked rules for small games. The trick here is that Wizard Conclave is mostly penalize by having a unit, so by reducing the unit size and reducing the champion cost, you end up with some crazy discounted wizards.

For example, suggested unit size reduction on Veiled Serpents goes from 3 to only 2 models, and with a free champion, I now have a ~160pt Wizard Adept (which is insanely cheap for DL) and doesn't draw from our character limits.

My suggestion would be a 0-1 on Wizard Conclave Champions AND only a 20pt discount on the champion upgrade for Wizard Conclave units.

That, or we could plan on having a really epic magic phase.....

Though, for clarity, I'm not really planning a wizard conclave. I might take 1, but so far, I mainly find the magic phase somewhat confusing and unreliable, so I'll be going light magic (no magic seems unavoidable for DL).

But in terms of abusive ways to use the suggested rules for 1k games, the Wizard conclave is only real outlier I've seen so far. Especially because others commented about wanting to limiting wizard mastery at 2k. So I thought it was worth mentioning.

As mentioned, I'll conform, do whatever and I'll go with it.

The plan is to reduce the cost of all champions and musicians by 20 points, like Ben said. That'll make regular ones free and give a small discount to the Wizard Conclave champs so they don't totally miss out. I'm not inclined to change the minimum unit sizes since we're starting at 2k instead of 1k. The fewer changes to the core rules, the better in my opinion.

• Like 1

Read the League website today (First of thank you for the work this all looks like a lot of fun). Now I want a ruling on how I will run my Daemons. According to my maths and what I understood by the rules a 40% character limit becomes a 600pt limit at the 2000 army level, I would be unable to use a Miser of Sugalag, Scourge of Vanadra or a Sentinel of Nukuja even at their base costs (which is not a problem in itself). How this interacts with the Warlord aspect, there is no stated requirement that the Warlord must be in each mission nor that they must be the general so I wanted to confirm whether that was true and if it was true is there some special case that can be made for the armies that get a little tied up in Gigantic sized generals (Daemons, Tree Daemons [do Sylvan elves use Treemen as generals?], and Vermin Daemons). I would like to work with for an optimal condition for all.

Here are the issues that the Daemonic Legion codex brings into this particular setup:

1. Daemon Legion characters occasionally are very swole. As being very swole they are baseline very expensive.
  2. Daemon armies have an entire wing of options gated behind having a "Sin" General. (unlocking unit upgrades for 'hero' level character if a general is of a certain sin)

Second may I recommend the Warband-level flux cards for all games until 3500 points? Found in the T9A Flux Card Supplement on the website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OreoGolem said:

Second may I recommend the Warband-level flux cards for all games until 3500 points? Found in the T9A Flux Card Supplement on the website.

^Great idea! I'll get that on there.

As for the Warlord, it says "A Warlord must be accompanied in each battle by their personal retinue; a unit of veteran soldiers whose abilities will also increase over time." 

Does this still sound like a good fix? "Master in the Rafters: at point values <3k, a daemon player may declare a greater daemon to be the 'Master in the Rafters' even if it is not and could not be in the army at that point level. With this choice declared a single Herald of Chaos in this army can gain access to manifestations related to that Sin if it is the general as though the army had a General of that Sin."

10 minutes ago, OreoGolem said:

Read the League website today (First of thank you for the work this all looks like a lot of fun). Now I want a ruling on how I will run my Daemons. According to my maths and what I understood by the rules a 40% character limit becomes a 600pt limit at the 2000 army level, I would be unable to use a Miser of Sugalag, Scourge of Vanadra or a Sentinel of Nukuja even at their base costs (which is not a problem in itself). How this interacts with the Warlord aspect, there is no stated requirement that the Warlord must be in each mission nor that they must be the general so I wanted to confirm whether that was true and if it was true is there some special case that can be made for the armies that get a little tied up in Gigantic sized generals (Daemons, Tree Daemons [do Sylvan elves use Treemen as generals?], and Vermin Daemons). I would like to work with for an optimal condition for all.

Here are the issues that the Daemonic Legion codex brings into this particular setup:

1. Daemon Legion characters occasionally are very swole. As being very swole they are baseline very expensive.
  2. Daemon armies have an entire wing of options gated behind having a "Sin" General. (unlocking unit upgrades for 'hero' level character if a general is of a certain sin)

Did you see that xp table? Imagine Miser of Sululag with Unbreakable....losing via CR is the only real weak point on that model.

5 minutes ago, Wentwizard said:

Does this still sound like a good fix? "Master in the Rafters: at point values <3k, a daemon player may declare a greater daemon to be the 'Master in the Rafters' even if it is not and could not be in the army at that point level. With this choice declared a single Herald of Chaos in this army can gain access to manifestations related to that Sin if it is the general as though the army had a General of that Sin."

Oh man that sounds like a genius idea. Whoever wrote that must be a pretty smart fellow, and handsome too. 😛

Now this just leaves the real problem for me (and this one is me being horribly indecisive), which Sin do I choose. Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggh. Why do games have to make me make choices. Thank you very much Have-Gone-Sorcerer.