9th Age Escalation Campaign

3 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

Ah, the nomenclature is confusing to me.

So "base cost" is really price per model

"base cost adjustment" is the cost to take a unit entry.

Is that an army builder thing or an andrewgeddon thing?

Army builder thing

48 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Army builder / Andrewgeddon thing. I'm going to use terms like "base cost / base cost adjustment" in my new Fantasy Battles Game:

THE X EDITION AGE:
ANDREWGEDDONHAMMER FANTASY BATTLES

Hope you are ready to bust out those hexagon bases.

Its about time someone took on the honest work of converting the game to hex bases.

5 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

It has not been officially stated yet, but I believe that there will be a point during the campaign at which we can "upgrade" your warlord. So in practice you should be able to swap out your warlord for a new warlord, thus opening yourself up for the Miser and Sentinel combo you are referring to by 4500 points.

The "switch out" would likely occur at 3k or 3.5k points. This applies to all armies. So for myself, id be switching out my Paladin for a Duke. All the campaign traits that the warlord gains will carry forward.

I'm not exactly sure how we'll do this, but I'm really keen on the concept. Limiting the number of points that can be spent on a warlord in the earlier scenarios seems like the best method since there isn't a keyword that I'm aware of to differentiate the highest tier character options (e.g. high princes) from lower tier characters (e.g. commanders). Would a 500 point cap be about right?

I mean is there a problem with my intention to have an expensive wizard master take almost my whole 600 pts (character allotment for 2k under rules)? 

Technically EoS could put down a Stank. I think we can't prevent everything. (I think their IMp Fury limit is 500)

I believe what was being asked for was a way to TRY to have a list with a cheaper character now and not be stuck with said character being a "lesser" character later.

I have to take a Pharaoh to be terracotta but I’m ok with that. A nomarch is crap and a pharaoh is worth the points. 

prepare for fighty undead that don’t come back! 🤪

I haven’t decide on my retinue. The spear men seem a good choice but the cavalry would turn out nice later with some campaign buffs. Especially when they are so cheap after the first 10(+11model +1terrcotta) a unit of 24 with full cmd is only 422. Give them a character with the magic steed and a banner of speed and they become 9adv 22 marching with ghost step.

1 hour ago, Wentwizard said:

I'm not exactly sure how we'll do this, but I'm really keen on the concept. Limiting the number of points that can be spent on a warlord in the earlier scenarios seems like the best method since there isn't a keyword that I'm aware of to differentiate the highest tier character options (e.g. high princes) from lower tier characters (e.g. commanders). Would a 500 point cap be about right?

A total point limit may make more sense, yes. Not sure if 500 is too high or not. It would fix the characters from loading up on upgrades that done come out of special equipment. 

For most armies the BSB holders seem to be the differentiation between the upper tier and the lower tier characters. There are obviously many exceptions to that though. I dont know all the other armies enough to know who can be a BSB or not. There are also obvious exceptions, such as the Cuatl.

I think the set point limit fixes the ambiguity problem that my "BSB theory" has.

58 minutes ago, OreoGolem said:

I mean is there a problem with my intention to have an expensive wizard master take almost my whole 600 pts (character allotment for 2k under rules)? 

Technically EoS could put down a Stank. I think we can't prevent everything. (I think their IMp Fury limit is 500)

I believe what was being asked for was a way to TRY to have a list with a cheaper character now and not be stuck with said character being a "lesser" character later.

No Stank at 2k since it also runs off the armory allowance (20%) which is also currently set to 3/4 of it's original value (15%). Depending on when that 3/4 restriction is removed it could take until 3500 points before a Stank comes into play.

2k point masters might be alright. I will say that a master with Wrath of God would be super broken, but I don't know if anyone will actually bring that to a 2k game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

It has not been officially stated yet, but I believe that there will be a point during the campaign at which we can "upgrade" your warlord. So in practice you should be able to swap out your warlord for a new warlord, thus opening yourself up for the Miser and Sentinel combo you are referring to by 4500 points.

The "switch out" would likely occur at 3k or 3.5k points. This applies to all armies. So for myself, id be switching out my Paladin for a Duke. All the campaign traits that the warlord gains will carry forward.

Think of it as a mid campaign promotion/evolution for your warlord.

In discussion with Wentwizard about the details.

A couple of points here.

-I thought the point of distinguishing between Warlord and General was that the higher point characters purchased later would able to be General, but wouldn't have those slick warlord upgrades. Seemed like a good way to balance it. Warlord was sort of a lesser commander that, at some point, goes to the king to become a part of a larger army.

-I want to run my Miser, but your warlord xp tables will be incredibly broken with the Miser. Especially that Unbreakable rule, as dying to CR is his kryptonite - with unbreakable, he'll become something you can't kill without an overly focused approach.

-A Miser properly outfitted for a 4500pt list is about 1000pts. By having a reoccurring warlord bought within 600pts, you prevent from fielding the Miser until the character allowance is Warlord + 1000pts, which should mean that I can't field it until my opponents can cope with it.

-In case the 1000pt price tag makes you nervous, Miser is really offensively weak, so much to the effect that he's not really fielded in tournament lists. He's like a really big punching bag. Should be fun for casual play, though I'm told the common tactic against is to just ignore him because, again, he's really offensively weak.

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Ugh, so after all that, I might pick a different Warlord.

Someone pointed out that the Miser of Sululag would go really well with the Sentinel of Nukuja, but I can't fit both of those AND my current warlord in a 4500pt list.

Looked into it more. Can't fit 3 characters in 4500pt lists when it's Miser and Sentinel as 2/3. I mean, I can, but they become really bare bones. So scratch this idea for our league.

@paxmiles that's why I campaigned for the 'Rafters' exception rule so I could go double Greater Daemon later. Talk to staff state the stages you want and what can be compromised.

We're approaching the January, I don't know if there's been talk of the when/where/tempo of the campaign. I wish to know what to expect so I can warn my partner when I must leave for "the war".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OreoGolem said:

@paxmiles that's why I campaigned for the 'Rafters' exception rule so I could go double Greater Daemon later. Talk to staff state the stages you want and what can be compromised.

@TheBeninator and @Wentwizard

Good suggestion Oreogolem, bug plead with the staff. Hmm. Well, Okay, base Miser of Sululag is 665pts as general with no upgrades. The current character limit is only 65pts less than this (600pts).

Any chance I can just start with this guy as the Warlord? I'd be willing to take a penalty elsewhere (like in not having a Retinue for my Warlord) and/or some other overall army penalty for exceeding the normal character limit.

The previously discussed ban on gigantic characters was never added. And within a normal 2k game (not our modified point level), miser would fit. Plus, this means I only have a Wizard Apprentice....a nerfed DL magic phase for the first few games seems like a pretty reasonably trade off.

Mainly, it would just make building the army a lot more simple, since I can just keep playing the same character every time. Plus the model looks really good, I think.

IMG_20191209_220001723.thumb.jpg.fcb567df7ff83609d79ecbb02e4829fe.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, paxmiles said:

@TheBeninator and @Wentwizard

Good suggestion Oreogolem, bug plead with the staff. Hmm. Well, Okay, base Miser of Sululag is 665pts as general with no upgrades. The current character limit is only 65pts less than this (600pts).

Any chance I can just start with this guy as the Warlord? I'd be willing to take a penalty elsewhere (like in not having a Retinue for my Warlord) and/or some other overall army penalty for exceeding the normal character limit.

The previously discussed ban on gigantic characters was never added. And within a normal 2k game (not our modified point level), miser would fit. Plus, this means I only have a Wizard Apprentice....a nerfed DL magic phase for the first few games seems like a pretty reasonably trade off.

Mainly, it would just make building the army a lot more simple, since I can just keep playing the same character every time. Plus the model looks really good, I think.

As a player I think this fair. No retinue the first game to get enough points for a bare naked big guy.this first scenario is going to be a big Rock Paper Scissors situation for the most part anyways.

edit: another option is the warlord could miss out on the first buff since he’s already over points

On 12/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, paxmiles said:

I'd rather not make exceptions to the Warlord point cap. Starting off with lower tier heroes is a central part of the campaign theme, as are the retinue and warlord experience table.

He's an impressive model though, and I pity the fool who has to face him in the later stages of the campaign.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, OreoGolem said:

We're approaching the January, I don't know if there's been talk of the when/where/tempo of the campaign. I wish to know what to expect so I can warn my partner when I must leave for "the war".

We're still shooting to start on January 18, although I need to get final confirmation from @TheBeninator that we'll have access to WoW since it's a Saturday. Ideally everyone can make it to play at WoW that day, but if anyone can't, then it they will have two weeks to fight their opponent before we move on to the next scenario. I'll send an email to the group when we know for certain about WoW.

Edit: Start date is still TBD. Right now the highest probability dates are 1/19 and 2/2

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wentwizard said:

We're still shooting to start on January 18, although I need to get final confirmation from @TheBeninator that we'll have access to WoW since it's a Saturday. Ideally everyone can make it to play at WoW that day, but if anyone can't, then it they will have two weeks to fight their opponent before we move on to the next scenario. I'll send an email to the group when we know for certain about WoW.

January 18th is my wife's birthday, so I'm out if we're meeting at WoW on Saturday. If people are planing on being there Sunday (normal WoW night) I should be able to make that though

3 hours ago, Wentwizard said:

Heyo @Wentwizard

Sorry to say we already have an AoS event scheduled for 1/18 and I wouldnt want there to be any debate about space.

Sunday, 1/19, is a normal game night and you guys should be good to go that night.

• Thanks 3