9th Age Escalation Campaign

43 minutes ago, Wentwizard said:

Yeah, just reroll it

Same with unusable traits?

Like for the warband table, daemons can't benefit from Feigned flight unless they have an additional special rule that allows them to flee (fearless, again). Though if you want to allow it, the special rule that Sirens have which allows this is called "elusive" which just allows them to flee despite being fearless.

Or Agi boosts on already maxed agi character? (more an elven issue)

Or shield wall on a unit that can't take shields.

Just now, OreoGolem said:

Oh man that sounds like a genius idea. Whoever wrote that must be a pretty smart fellow, and handsome too. 😛

Now this just leaves the real problem for me (and this one is me being horribly indecisive), which Sin do I choose. Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggh. Why do games have to make me make choices. Thank you very much Have-Gone-Sorcerer.

Well, I'll represent Greed, so just pick a different one so we can properly represent the Daemonic Legions.

Couple of things list creation.

Magic Items (and runic items)

I'm assuming this is meant to limit all "Special Items" which both of those qualify as, but also includes Daemonic Manifestations (which are special items, but not magic or runic).

Any one character may be upgraded to be the Battle Standard Bearer for free; however, the range of their effect is reduced to 6" if this option is selected

In that 1k guide, they mentioned the BSB upgraded like this could be the Warlord. Is that still allowed? Or do they gain the normal "Not a Leader" rule with this upgrade option?

Daemonic Legions will likely only have a single character in a 600pt character limit. I'm not complaining, just explaining. My Herald would normally be my BSB.

So forces of Order have to hold out for 6 turns against infinite monsters, cav, characters, and whatever the opponent chooses to bring, in order to even scrape a minor?  0.o  Ooookay....

Question for clarification:  HbE Honours do, or do NOT count towards the 75pt 'magic item' limit?

7 hours ago, Exile said:

Question for clarification:  HbE Honours do, or do NOT count towards the 75pt 'magic item' limit?

Don't think so. Don't even think the moonlight arrows qualify as special items.

Though the Empire's Imperial prince with discounted magic weapon "light of Suchandsuch" would probably be considered a special item.

8 hours ago, Exile said:

So forces of Order have to hold out for 6 turns against infinite monsters, cav, characters, and whatever the opponent chooses to bring, in order to even scrape a minor?  0.o  Ooookay....

Mission is basically D-Day. You're playing the bad guys...

That said, mission win condition is weird. Basically the faster attacker will have more chances to win.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, paxmiles said:

Or Agi boosts on already maxed agi character? (more an elven issue)

Well, nevermind on this one. Apparently there's no upward cap on any of the stats in this edition.

18 hours ago, Exile said:

We tested it out and Wentwizard held out for 8 turns against KoE. My knights were in his face T2. I cycled my questing knights + general 3 times before I broke him, and that was mainly because I was able to eek in a flank.

That said, it isn't going to be easy for the defenders!

Firewardens or whatever (the old Phoenix guard) are really difficult to remove. TBH, my peasants were the ones that did most the heavy lifting. The kingdoms of equality-tane have serious lance performance anxiety. 

That is until they get cha in the rear ;D

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ish said:

Meatgrinder games should be tense for the defender, that's what makes them fun!

It's also why the old Warhammer Siege rules suggested playing alternating games of Defender and Attacker. 

I agree that it would be fun to switch sides and be the attacker as well. Depending on how quick the first game goes I highly encourage people to try it out!

With the smaller point limit, smaller field of battle, and pretty straight forward objective the turns go by pretty quick. 

It may turn out that the objective is super slanted to one side or another. None of this is robustly play tested, so we all are test subjects to some extent. I am personally interested in sharing some stats and feedback about the scenarios as we go through the campaign with the T9A community. Once we get rolling ill start a thread there and share the link here.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, paxmiles said:

How did the Undead tomb kings end up on the Order team? Flexible morality? 😋

At first glance Tomb Kings appears to be evil aligned. But then you realize they have 0 carbon footprint.

In addition, they are protecting hordes of precious metals from falling into the hands of looters. If they were not keeping looters at bay, then these precious metals would flood the world economy and devalue the currency, causing rampant inflation. Economies would collapse, people would fall into squalor and be scooped up into the Kingdoms of Equality-tane levies. A fate that is pretty much the same as death.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ish said:

Why does everyone always pick on Necromancers — Can’t a guy just be left alone to raise a family in peace?

That's more vampires creating undead to make a family.

Necromancers aren't usually looking for family, at least not a family of undead. Usually, it's used as source of obedient labor. Necromancers are basically the Robotics Engineer of the the fantasy setting.

@TheBeninator For clarity, the "Greater Daemons" aren't really banned in our present format, they just cost too much to field?

Not that I'm planning to take one, as I already have a plan, but in terms of what I should expect my opponent's to bring, doesn't seem to be a "big character" ban in the list format.

Looks like the Courtesan of Cibsresh is legal to be the general at 2k in this points format. 585pts with greater dominion. And that model is practically tailored to scenario 1 without any upgrades (it's really fast).

22 hours ago, paxmiles said:

@TheBeninator For clarity, the "Greater Daemons" aren't really banned in our present format, they just cost too much to field?

Not that I'm planning to take one, as I already have a plan, but in terms of what I should expect my opponent's to bring, doesn't seem to be a "big character" ban in the list format.

Looks like the Courtesan of Cibsresh is legal to be the general at 2k in this points format. 585pts with greater dominion. And that model is practically tailored to scenario 1 without any upgrades (it's really fast).

My impression was no, but you are right that the list format does not specifically address this.

@Wentwizard?

While I got you, @TheBeninator or @Wentwizard does the "recycling" option remove Manifestations as well as magic items? Manifestations are considered special items, so I see  the logic of grouping them together, but to our army, that's like saying our models don't come back with weapons, because Daemonic Legions don't have mundane weapon access, we just have manifestations....

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

While I got you, @TheBeninator or @Wentwizard does the "recycling" option remove Manifestations as well as magic items? Manifestations are considered special items, so I see  the logic of grouping them together, but to our army, that's like saying our models don't come back with weapons, because Daemonic Legions don't have mundane weapon access, we just have manifestations....

I wasn't inclined to ban Greater Daemons outright, but I see your point that a Courtesan of Cibsresh could break the scenario. Should we drop it to 500?

As for the Manifestations, I think they should be treated like other Special Items. I read over the army book and the manifestations seem a lot more like magic items than normal weapons. That said, I don't want to hurt DL worse than other armies. Any ideas for a middle path between removing them all together and leaving them in with all the buffs?

7 minutes ago, splinx said:

Ok rules question! Would anyone object to my Cave Goblin king with Cave Gnasher being on a 40x60mm base? It’s the old Skarsnik and Gobbla model and I would love to use it. I believe the official size would be them both on 20mm x 20mm bases. 

I wouldn’t. But I’m a Filthy Casual and not part of the league, so....

1 hour ago, Wentwizard said:

I wasn't inclined to ban Greater Daemons outright, but I see your point that a Courtesan of Cibsresh could break the scenario. Should we drop it to 500?

As for the Manifestations, I think they should be treated like other Special Items. I read over the army book and the manifestations seem a lot more like magic items than normal weapons. That said, I don't want to hurt DL worse than other armies. Any ideas for a middle path between removing them all together and leaving them in with all the buffs?

Your call on the point thing. Though I'm not bringing one and I don't think @OreoGolem is either, so I don't think it's a Daemon issue. But if you intended to ban Gigantic characters should probably do that more directly (like via putting a ban on Gigantic characters for your reoccurring Warlord). Is the issue just Greater Daemons, or is it an issue with any gigantic characters in general?

Regarding the recycled characters and magic items, why not just leave the magic items on? Aside from the daemons, seems like a modeling problem for other armies if the modeled items aren't always on the model. And that would be the easiest way to keep balance for all the armies...

For my daemon character, not having manifestations means not having an armor save. You did put a 50pt cap on manifestations for characters, I can do less potent things with 50pts of manifestations than you can do with HE honors and mundane weapons. But I'll never be a resilience 3 elf, so meh, not really complaining.

Context, my plan is to spend 25pts on the Parry manifestation and 25pts on the heavy armor manifestation.  That's what I won't get back when I get recycled.

The Imps will have flaming attacks (+1pt each), which they won't get back when recycled. That's my Retinue. They're Res 2 archers...

Since Elves seem to be the most common enemy, I think the myrmidons are taking the +2 agi on the charge manifestation (+1pt each) so we can strike at the same time as elven spearmen when we charge them. That'll get recycled.

The list has maybe 1 more unit at 2k, which is either Bloat Flies, a Hope Harvester, or some Sirens. Might fit another small unit in, like some Gremlins.

EDIT: looks like the character manifestation limit is 75pts. Maybe I misremembered when writing the above or maybe you changed it since I read it last.

I mean the way I look at it, every recycled unit is just extra, so I'm not bothered if they lose all their special equipment. (Relentless banner suicide unit anyone?) It's a very kooky scenario I say we just roll with it. Admittedly I have the fun expendable side of the conflict. An easier nerf might be only respawn scoring or core.

Reducing characters to 500 does make it harder for me and the ogres, but we can manage.