Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Hmm...maybe too expensive, but Azrael is much more impressive with the Centurions if they make him S&P, as he's got that blinding combi-plas which tends to ruin his value in TDA units.

Okay, so Annihilation event list, going with a simple list of things I know:

DA CAD

HQ Libby (lvl2, TDA, Powerfield Generator, Storm bolter, Force Axe)

Elites Mortis Dreadnought (Lascannons)

Troops Scouts (5, 4 snipers, 1 missile, cloaks)

Troops Tactical (10, 1 missile)

Fast Attack LS Tempest Squadron (1)

Heavy LR Helios

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (Armored Ceramite, Schism of Mars)

Nemesis Strike Force Detachment

HQ Crowe (Warlord)

Troops Strike Squad (5, Justicar with Daemonhammer)

Total: 1850pts.

Army is mostly stationary in tactics, which isn't super realistic in terms of winning, but I like playing those types of lists. I've got 4 levels of psykers, 6 vehicles, and a meager 22 infantry - it's my sort of list. I'll have fun. I don't want to be wiped, but I don't foresee winning either. Should be a simple army enough to move and deploy. Pretty easy on transportation too, as it has no big models aside from two land raider sized models. Might even get it painted in time...

Definitely more cheesy than the last list...Less models too. Scouts I wanted to use don't have cloaks or missiles yet, so I got some points there. GK weren't ready either. I found the rifle bit to my second vindicare while cleaning, and one thing just lead to another. Achilles lacks an assault ramp, so if I'm not really fielding a melee unit, it makes more sense than the helios. DA lack the normal thunderfire option, so it's the only way to field mine with the DA.

DA CAD

HQ Libby (lvl1, Force Sword+BP, Power Field Generator)

Troops Scouts (5, snipers)

Troops Tactical (10, 1 missile with flakk)

Heavy LR Achilles (MM)

Officio Assassinorum Detachment

Elites Vindicare

Elites Vindicare

Despite no flyers, list looks pretty solid for AA.

Side note, should I paint the LS tempests as Raven Wing, or would they be part of the Green Wing? They are FW models otherwise. They were just red "exorcists" prior to this, so it didn't come up.

I would do them as Ravenwing at this point. There was a stage where the fluff had Battle Company Bikes/Speeders for the DA, but I think they're back to all being in the Ravenwing now.

Fair enough, how about the dreads? Do only the venerable dreads get deathwing, or are they all painted as such?

In rules, our DA dreads get the deathwing vehicle upgrade when they become venerable, though I'm unclear if it's for simplification (because the venerable rule is part of the deathwing vehicle upgrade).

Ven Dreads are now all DeathWing, while regular Dreads are part of the various Companies. There used to actually be Battle Company Ven Dreads, but that fluff changed.

Annoying when WYSIWYG rules enter at the painting stage. Though I suppose that this makes it easy for the Mortis Dreads, as those are non-ven only.

Pretre mentioned offline that the above list might be a bit soft. He didn't word it exactly like that, but that's how I took it. I suppose I could look into kicking it up a notch or two. To a certain extent, I really do purposely build softer lists.

They're not mentioned anywhere in the Rules section of the book. That's a strictly fluff distinction.

So then if I upgrade, in example, a land raider with the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade, how is it shown on the model if not via the paint scheme? Upgrades do need to be WYSIWYG

So then if I upgrade, in example, a land raider with the Deathwing Vehicle upgrade, how is it shown on the model if not via the paint scheme? Upgrades do need to be WYSIWYG

You would need a distinctive paint scheme from the other land raiders in your army that aren't DWV.

You would need a distinctive paint scheme from the other land raiders in your army that aren't DWV.

So then is the paint scheme related to WYSIWYG?

Definitely more cheesy than the last list...Less models too. Scouts I wanted to use don't have cloaks or missiles yet, so I got some points there. GK weren't ready either. I found the rifle bit to my second vindicare while cleaning, and one thing just lead to another. Achilles lacks an assault ramp, so if I'm not really fielding a melee unit, it makes more sense than the helios. DA lack the normal thunderfire option, so it's the only way to field mine with the DA.

DA CAD

Heavy LR Achilles (MM)

Elites Vindicare

Elites Vindicare

Despite no flyers, list looks pretty solid for AA.

Hmmm...difficult to make this one harder without totally changing everything. Achilles conversion is going well.

I am looking into replacing an assassin and few others with an AM allied detachment for tank commander vanquisher or Eradicator. Probably won't as I don't think the changes will make the list tougher, just fill gaps while making it weaker.

At present the list has two or three major weak points:

-Hordes in cover. Depending on the horde, might be able to deal with super heavy tank shock, but no real solutions.

-Melee. Nothing here save the one force weapon on a model that grants the opponent a 4++. Yeah, no real solutions.

-AV14+ things that need to die turn 1. Like Pretre's Plasma oblit. I've got the vindicares and cerberus with S10, but personal experience has found S10 lacking when it counts against AV14+. You need armorbane for that.

At present the list has two or three major weak points:

-Hordes in cover. Depending on the horde, might be able to deal with super heavy tank shock, but no real solutions.

-Melee. Nothing here save the one force weapon on a model that grants the opponent a 4++. Yeah, no real solutions.

-AV14+ things that need to die turn 1. Like Pretre's Plasma oblit. I've got the vindicares and cerberus with S10, but personal experience has found S10 lacking when it counts against AV14+. You need armorbane for that.

Lol, I suppose what it really lacks is cheese...Nothing overly broken here. Got a few nasty defensive options, but nothing offensively broken.

Hmm...Okay, could do this, I think:

DA CAD

Elites Mortis Dreadnought (Missiles)

Elites Venerable Dreadnought (MM+DCCW, Venerable)

-Dreadnought Drop Pod

Troops Tactical (5, Plasma Cannon)

Heavy LR Achilles (Schism of Mars)

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (Armored Ceramite)

Elites Vindicare

Elites Vindicare

Mortis Dreads lose the lascannons which makes them much cheaper, plus the frag missiles help with hordes and skyfire+interceptor krak missiles still work great against against most flyer enemies. Main loss is the twin linking.

Ven Dread doesn't add huge changes, but I do gain a single BS5 melta shot with deep strike. Also adds a melee option, not a great one, but a melee option. Could do a MM siege dreadnought for 5pts less, but I lose the BS on the MM. Dread pod buffs odds that dread will survive to assault, as it's an opened topped transport that the dread doesn't have to leave. Siege dread has a heavy flamer and chainfist variant (only adds d6 pen against stationary targets), which would be pretty awesome against buildings and some vehicles.

Moved Schism of mars, as it's cheaper on non-super heavies, plus it's funny to stack on the achilles, which is already a bit defensively broken. I am considering dropping the cerberus at this point, as it is a huge point drain on the army and I don't see it adding a ton beyond me just really wanting to field mine.

Tweaked the tactical squad. Might further tweak it.

Grr...now I'm second guessing the HQ. I'd really like a melee-able HQ for challenges and such, but the DA really don't have a lot of great options on that end. Maybe I should "tape" together some GK and get them on the table.

More Tweaks.

DA CAD

HQ Chappy (Jump Pack)

Non-Slot HQ Techmarine (Power Field Generator)

Elites Siege Dreadnought (MM)

-Dreadnought Drop Pod

Troops Tactical (5, Lascannon, Power Sword+BP sarge)

Heavy Predator (TL Lascanon)

Elites Vindicare

Allied GK Detachment

HQ GK Libby

Troops GK Strike Squad (5)

Chappy Deep Strikes with Strike Squad (hence the jump pack), or hides in my backfield. Techmarine+GK libby+Tactical squad are on vehicle shielding duty. Ven got swapped for the siege. Everything else is about as before, with 1 less assassin and no cerberus - I love that model, but he's such a point sink and really does have lacking damage output in non-apoc games.

Getting closer to a tough list, I think.

I suppose I could ditch the DA and field almost the same list with C:SM, then go ultramarines and make Chronus pilot the Achilles and be the warlord....Not viable, likely, but I'd really have fun with that one....Hmm...hate the ultramarine backstory and love the DA one, but I really like some of the Ultramarine rules....But then I'd lose the vehicle shielding unit...grrr.

So, wondering, has it gotten stronger, worse, or just more confusing? I could really use some impute regarding my list, as the event is soon and I'm third guessing my second guesses.

Like from this one

Heavy LR Achilles (MM)

Elites Vindicare

Elites Vindicare

to this one

DA CAD

HQ Chappy (Jump Pack)

Non-Slot HQ Techmarine (Power Field Generator)

Elites Siege Dreadnought (MM)

-Dreadnought Drop Pod

Troops Tactical (5, Lascannon, Power Sword+BP sarge)

Elites Vindicare

Allied GK Detachment

HQ GK Libby

Troops GK Strike Squad (5)