Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Okay, thinking about it more.

I'm thinking that while that the SS command squad is nice, it's just too expensive and restricting. In example, command squad limits my HQ choices, as the chapter masters aren't eligible for command squads, nor is the emperor's champion. Likewise, the drop pod entry forces the unit to arrive turn 1. The FNP remains useful, but the lack of an invulnerable on the model providing FNP presents a big limitation to the squad. The mixed nature of the squad dramatically limits my transport/deployment options. Failing that sanctuary for two turns was a real eye opener to the effectiveness of that unit.

Started re-reading that GK book (again and again...). I'm thinking the Paladins would actually work pretty well here. I'd take a 3-man paladin unit with apothecary. I wouldn't have the 3++ for the squad, but I would have a 5++ for all members of said squad and an extra wound. The 2+ armor should help too. Best bit is that as a 3-man TDA unit, even attaching characters, I still have a pretty varied set of transport options, though rhinos, razors and pods still remain out of reach - yeah, mostly just land raiders, SRs and buildings in non-FW lists, but Assault terminators, but comparison, must be 5-man, so attached ICs can't fit in a normal LR, and only a single TDA IC with them in a redeemer. Cost-wise, those Paladins are mostly cheaper than what I was trying to do with the command squad.

As for my minotaurs, it does lend me towards ICs which can deep strike, which, as luck would have it, includes both of the FW ICs (Chappy Enkomi can freely swap void hardened power armor for a jump pack, while moloc is in TDA) and all the GK ICs save their techmarine and the Brotherhood Champion. This is the case even if I don't intend to DS in any game, as there are times where merely having the alternate deployment option is a strength, even if you never use it.

I'm thinking something like this:

Elites Paladins (3, Apothecary with hammer, 2 paladins with SB+Sword) 195pts

Apothecary has the hammer because he's a character, so he can Look out Sir shots direct at him, making him as the model with hammer more practical. The other two are, more or less, expendable. That said, I may upgrade the other two to have either halberds, staves or melta bombs (yeah, terminators with melta bomb access), as I'm a firm believer in excessive AT....

Hmm...

So something I've been forgetting/neglecting is that GG allows more than just two detachments. I suppose I've got some IG lying around. Could get those to table standard to fill gaps in the above.

Other one I've been considering is taking some daemons. Not many, but GK have this thing which grants a 3++ to the upgraded character if daemons are within 12" and it becomes a 2++ if they are daemons of khorne. It is specific to enemy daemons, but doesn't require them to be opponent's daemons. So I could bring a psyker to summon daemons which, RAW, should retain their faction, making them "come the apocalypse" allies. Or I could field an actual "allied" daemon detachment.

Could even field both and run 4 detachments in my normal list.....

If you went IG you could go ghetto and do chimeras as transports for your GK terms/pallies (take the chims in the IG list and let the GK's borrow them). :)

With psycannons and relentless it can become a fairly attractive (if expensive) option.

And GK with deamon allies... Naughty naughty naughty... ;)

If you went IG you could go ghetto and do chimeras as transports for your GK terms/pallies (take the chims in the IG list and let the GK's borrow them). :)

With psycannons and relentless it can become a fairly attractive (if expensive) option.

And GK with deamon allies... Naughty naughty naughty... ;)

So, take an assault unit that costs 200+pts and then put it into a vehicle that the unit can't assault out of? Just double checking I understand. Also, IG list can't field non-dedicated chimeras, so they've have to deploy on the table and enter the vehicle on a later turn. 

Doesn't seem like a great plan. Though I may "scoop" up a TDA unit on later turns via a chimera, but I don't see it as something to plan the list around. Other issues is that GK only have 24" of psycannon range. Chimera gets considerably weaker the closer you get to the enemy, what with weak side and such. I don't think it's worth it, at least, for GK terminators.

That Paladin squad is appealing because the 3-man bulky unit means they can fit in transports I can't normally put my terminators into. In example, 3 paladins, a TDA GK character (like stern) and I still have room for another TDA character in the 10-seater basic Land Raider. Or, for games with FW, I can put the 3-man unit inside a LR Helios (holds only 6).

As for daemon allies, they wouldn't be "allies" they'd be enemies which just happen to be lower on our priority list at the present moment. Not sure I'd do it anyway. I was just tempted by that GK relic "bone shard of such & such...." which grants a 3++ to the character if daemons are within 12" and a 2++ if daemon of khorne within 12". So, if going the stern route, I could field non-khorne daemons and still obtain a 2++. If stern was present, modeling minions of M'kachen, a named Lord of Change which, in stern's fluff, desires to witness his downfall. Though if stern is taken, I'd need another character for that GK relic and this all get's very expensive, very quickly.

Back to IG, that priest is basically a chappy for less points and has some pretty slick abilities. Very tempting to field one of those.

Pask is also tempting, though that tank squad get's extremely expensive really quickly.

Hydra is also tempting. I've fielded those in the past, and they really do suck, but they'd be very easy to make/convert. I also have some Basilisks sitting at home, but those really don't seem like very good non-apocalyse options.

Definitely thinking IG would fill an allied detachment, so 1 HQ and 1 troops, with room for maybe a fast, elite or heavy, should it be something I really need.

Okay, example:

Minotaurs CAD

Black Templar Chapter Tactics

HQ Master of the Forge (Warlord, Shield Eternal)

Troops Scouts (5, Cloaks & Snipers)

Troops Tactical (5, Lascannon)

Heavy Land Raider

Allied GK

HQ Stern

Elites Paladins (3, Apothecary with SB+Hammer, 2 paladins with Sword+SB)

Troops Strike (5, Psilencer)

-Dedicated Razorback (Las/Plas)

Allied IG

HQ Tank Commander (2, Command Vanquisher, Eradicator)

Non-slot HQ Priest

Troops Vets (10, Flakk Missile Team)

Heavy Hydra

"Allied" Chaos Daemons

HQ Herald of Slaanesh (Exalted Locus of Beguilement, Steed, Lesser Reward)

Elites Fiends of Slaanesh (3)

Troops Daemonettes (10, Alluress with Lesser Reward)

Total 1900

Balancing 4 detachments in under 2k is really tough.

Basically, I've got Stern, the Warlord Forgemaster, the Priest and 3 paladins inside that one Land Raider. Love the normal land raider, but it normally can't fit the units I want to bring. Stern and the 3 paladins are bulky, so take 8 spots, while the priest and forgemaster each take only 1, so all 10 spots used. Offensively, I've got the hammer and the servo arm (just one due to storm shield) for 4 (6 on the charge) powerfist-like attacks, so unit should be fine for AT and some MCs. Priest, despite being dirt cheap, has a 4++, which stern can make a 3++. Could also take Land Raider as elites dedicated for paladins, mostly matters for paint scheme.

Couldn't find room for that bone shard...

Strike squad is deep striking, with the psilencer model throwing psyk-out grenades or krak grenades on the drop. Psilencer model is iffy, but at worst, I'm hoping it will help me to remember to use that force power in my psychic phase instead of waiting until the force weapons wound....yeah, hard to unlearn that one. Psyk-out grenade is amazing when thrown, provided the opponent has a psyker to throw it at.

Daemons are more something I've wanted to field, but am not willing to make an entire daemon army... Herald has that "loci of beguilement," which aside from allowing the unit to re-roll all hits in melee, it more importantly allows the herald to pick which enemy model accepts a challenge and those enemies cannot refuse - Which is pretty disturbing in practice, especially with her 6 charging attacks at initiative 7 with an ap2 melee weapon (etherblade) and the attached unit reducing charged enemy initiative by -5...means she'd swing before daemon princes...still fail to kill them, but merely swing before is impressive. She would swing before assassins and has decent odds to slay them before they get to swing...

Anyway, army is hard to say if viable or not, as this many detachments in a single army is tough to place. Technically, army has 5 objective secured units (Razor, Strike, Tactical, Scout, Vet), though none of these will really stand to focused fire.

Still, on table, I present with 4 vehicle targets (units being 1 target), of which two have front AV14. I have a beast/calvary assault unit, two dedicated AA units, an infantry assault unit and a few ranged units. Should be troubling to face, even if only because of how varied the army is..

So I have a question, what overall strategy do you go with when you create a list? What do you envision? Like in this list I don't really see the use of the normal space marine CAD. 

If space is an issue take the crusader? (Do grey knights have crusader land raiders?)

In this case, the CAD is due to the need of a viable detachment to take the Warlord from. They can't all be allied detachments and I do want the objective secured.

As for tactics in list creation, I'll admit, I tend to overthink things. Creating armies designed to counter things that never occur, but would occur if I were my own opponent (Golden Rule backfiring...). This causes me to lean towards toolbox units, as in, units which can preform a variety of roles, rather than units which are really only able to do one or two things well, even if that one thing is very well done. Beyond that, I've been trying hard to keep objective secured units in my list, as I've found them having a profound impact on the viability of any list.

As for the Crusader, I've fielded it a few times I really don't like it. It really isn't a toolbox unit, able to really only preform a single task or two. It also requires getting really close to the opponent, which dramatically reduces the effectiveness of any armor on the model. As an assault boat, the Ork Trukk is about as viable as a Crusader if planning to rush the opponent. Crusader is just too expensive in this role. Yeah, you can add the multi-melta to give in another role, but it misses a bunch, and has lacking range.

Bottom line is that the crusader has too much transport capacity for most SM lists. I don't need 16 spots in any list under 2k. Without bulky models, can't even fill those spots without templars (I'm not fielding crusader squads or LRCs via troops because I'm playing Minotaurs, not templars). If moving 6" I've got 2 working weapons and those snapfiring bolters. A few S4 ap5 shots are not very impressive to me. If the MM and Assault cannon are my selling points, I'd rather have a Redeemer at 10pts less (and 4 unused transport slots less, 12 is plenty). Yeah, the flamers can't fire via snap, but they are much more impressive than the assault cannon or multi-melta if the right opponent is within range.

Other issue with large transport capacity is that it leaves me inclined to field a larger unit, which in turn costs more points. Despite the land raiders, the concept of a death star unit is still new to me, as I tend towards MSU tactics. So, basically, my intention with that stern unit is to tie up or cripple a deathstar of the opponent's, knowing full well that my stern unit is not really OP enough to be a real deathstar of it's own (looking at you, invisible thunder wolf cavalry with 4 attached wolf ICs....).

As for losing games, my biggest issue is that during a game I give my opponent pointers or suggestions, rather than waiting for them to screw up and then bringing out my "surprise" rules that they forgot, or forgot to ask about. If my opponent does this too, it can be a really fun game, but against opponents which like to use "surprise" rules, I am crippling myself. That said, it does lead to less heated rules arguments and I haven't had an opponent rage-quit ever. Most opponents enjoy playing with me, though I'll admit, that this most group is certainly the less competitive group. I suppose, if summed up, I prioritize both my own and my opponent's enjoyment of the game over winning said game. Opponents which clearly care more victory, or about only their own enjoyment, are opponents I don't enjoy facing (and I think ruin the "hobby." Though they would argue that my approach ruins the "game"...).

Beyond that, the other key issue I have is that toolbox units are really not as good as their overly specialized counterparts in their element.

Oh, as for the basic Land Raider, it's because it's my favorite non-FW/apoc variant. The transport capacity can ruin it, sometimes, as can the lack of frag assault launchers. Lascannons have longer range, which allows for more varied tactics regarding use of that tank. In particular, I find the PotMS is put to the best use when firing TL lascannons at multiple targets. Heavy bolter often "firing for effect" as it's mostly worthless (though it does sometimes get lucky). I see it as being a move and fire lascannon team with split fire, which happens to also be a mobile bunker/assault boat.

GK terminators are also equipped with frag grenades, so no worries with initiative order weapons.

Depending on the opponent, I sometimes want/need to advance the LR as an assault boat, just the crusader or redeemer would be used. There are other games, where the opponent MUST come to me and I want that extra turn or two of lascannon fire via a backfield land raider. And other games still, where the land raider is primarily present to block TLOS or be a bunker. Again, a toolbox thing.

With FW, the classic LR is likely replaced with a LR Helios, or LR Achilles, as those fill the toolbox role better.

On side note, despite barely encountering them and as more a secondary consideration, I like lascannons because there aren't any 40k enemies with specific immunities to them. Again, I do overthink things and often plan for things that never happen, but would if I were my own opponent...Primary consideration for lascannons over meltaguns is certainly the range.

On subject, could add some eldar....

EDIT: could drop the daemons for the avatar and some sniper eldar...

Hmmm....okay, was thinking that the Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer is my target for normal FW play, but any league games won't allow it, so a place-holder unit is ideal. Was thinking that the Leman Russ Vanquishers are pretty close to that function. Looks like I could field two as an HQ squadron for 300pts, then a 75pt veteran squad and it would legal allied detachment. The Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer is 355pts base with an almost mandatory Armored Ceramite upgrade for 20pts, making this an even swap.

Then, rest of the army sticks with the dual detachment theme of GK and Minotaurs/templars.

Ideally, I want to create a list that will be playable as both FW legal Minotaurs+GK with their LoW, and, with non-FW SM+GK with a LoW replacement. Ideally, the finished list will be with as few swaps as possible, making it easy enough to transport as both.

• 3 weeks later...

Completely off topic 1650 list for tonight:

SM (Templar) CAD

HQ Emperor's champion

Troops Tactical (5, Flakk ML)

-Dedicated Las/Plas dozer Razor

Troops Tactical (10, MG, vet sarge with combi-MG and fist)

-Dedicated dozer Rhino

FAst Land Speeder (HF)

Heavy Devastators (5, 2x las, 2x MM)

-Dedicated dozer lasplas razor

Heavy Hunter

AM CAD

Non-Slot Psyker (Level 2)

HQ Lord Commy (bolter)

Trooops Vets (10, 3x GL)

Troops Vets (10, 3x GL)

Heavy Deathstrike (Camo, HF)

AM psyker is going daemonology and I've got some daemon models set aside for that. Entire list is not meant to win, but to have fun and get me out of the house - I really need out of the house today.

Completely off topic 1650 list for tonight:

SM (Templar) CAD

HQ Emperor's champion

Troops Tactical (5, Flakk ML)

-Dedicated Las/Plas dozer Razor

Troops Tactical (10, MG, vet sarge with combi-MG and fist)

-Dedicated dozer Rhino

FAst Land Speeder (HF)

Heavy Hunter

AM CAD

Non-Slot Psyker (Level 2)

HQ Lord Commy (bolter)

Trooops Vets (10, 3x GL)

Troops Vets (10, 3x GL)

AM psyker is going daemonology and I've got some daemon models set aside for that. Entire list is not meant to win, but to have fun and get me out of the house - I really need out of the house today.

Very silly fun with the above list. Will have to field deathstrikes in that legion+daemons army.

Anyway, on the minotaurs/exorcists. Very tempted to strip what I have and just pick a codex army, purely for the simplicity of rules. Maybe roll a die for it...

I did pick up that Skittarrii codex. Some interesting imperial options in that book.

As mentioned above, picked up the skitarii codex. Love it. Doesn't look very stand-alone, but really fills the gaps in all the non-FW imperium armies and adds a few new goodies. Really love how army is very unique, and doesn't feel like any of the existing imperial army options.

Stock Skitarii detachment (called "skitarii mantiple") is two troops min. This detachment isn't objective secured, but does have a slot for fortifications, and very notably, givens scout to the fortification (no outflank, just scout redeploy). Not sure what to do on the fort end, but I really like the idea of being able to redeploy the fort, if only for the tactical value of doing so with regard to fire lanes with interceptor weapons or messing up enemy deployment. Rest of the detachment get's scout (no outflank, just scout) and crusader to all models, which certainly has some merit.

GG league allows unlimited detachments and unbound armies, so I really gotta start using a larger range for my armies, just too many fun models. I barely play 40k outside of the GG league, so it would be reasonable at this point, to start only building armies to play with their rules.

As for Exorcists/Minotaurs, I'm seriously considering just switching to Ultramarines (and repainting them such) and not codex hopping again. I really hate not having a consistent set of rules. I also have most of the special characters for ultramarines (metal, from the prior edition of the codex when any chapter could field any character), and they fit my toolbox list making ideology.

Still loving the GK. Really need to get more options built for them. The Scouting promethium pipes have a certain appeal with those incinerators on a purgation squad....

Really enjoyed the AM in the above list, and although I don't want the daemons or insanity in this army, I would like to field them again.

As of late, seems like I need to thin the armies I have, while expanding the number of armies.

Here, full rules as written by me:

Skitarii Mantiple Detachment

All models must have no faction or be of the skitarii faction

Required: 2 Troops

Optional: 6 more Troops, 4 elties, 2 fast, 4 heavy, 1 fort

Special rules:

"Crux mechanicus: If warlord selected via this detachment, you may re-roll warlord traits, plus warlord gets prefered enemy USR"

"Tireless Advance: All models in this detachment have crusader and scout, but cannot use this source of scout to outflank."

From the other thread...regarding skitarii.

Unfortunately, they don't have their own transports and melt in front of scatter lasers.

Yes and no.

Army is certainly not stand alone, and does not have its own transports. Definitely an ally codex, more so than DA ever was.

Troops infantry (both units) have access to 60" sniper rifles with ap3 and armorbane (up to 3 per unit). They also have access to a nifty upgrade which grants -1 to enemy cover saves against shooting attacks via the unit. So, if only needed to enable other unit selections, stock troops can be very backfield and harrass ANY eldar units.

They've got one elites unit with stealth and infiltrate.

Those lance cavalry are initiative 6 on the charge with 4 S8 (ap-) attacks which score 2 hits on 6s. Unit can be 6 walkers strong. Unit has a continuous 5+ cover save.

The 4-legged walkers have really interesting weapon layouts and are field-able in squadrons of 3. They have a stock 6++, which improves for each member of the squad (so, up to 4++). Definitely magnetized models.

In particular, they have the Icarus array which has 3 different skyfire weapons which can all fire: 1 TL interceptor autocannon, a S7 ap 2 single shot, and a five shot S6 ignores cover weapon, all with 48" of range.

The other notable one is a 3 shot TL 36" S6 ap3 weapon which "tags" targets hit. The tag both reduces cover by 1 AND allows any charging unit to re-roll charges.

Two other weapon loadouts.

Like a sentinel, no stock melee weapon, but they can upgrade for an ap1 DCCW. They look like they'll mostly suck in melee, but a nifty option for the squadron to be able to include 1. Upgrade also adds IWND.

Lots of other little gems in the codex. Seems like a book that every imperial army will include a few models from, provided they have detachment space. Lots of dataslates

The issue with the Skitarii is getting a good mix of Special Weapons. They only get one of each per box of 10, and there's no overlap with any other Army's Special Weapons, except you might be able to do some workable Plasma Calivers from Plasmaguns.

Plasma Calivers are really expensive in points. 30pts for 3 plas shots at 18". Either troops unit is relentless (no clue why they need it), so the assault 3 is very unimpressive. Very iffy.

I like the other weapons, plus the stock weapons are amazing on the troops.

Got the 25pt snipers, as mentioned. And a 15pt 24" rapid fire S6 haywire weapon.

Those are the specials.

The stock weapons are:

Radium Carbines (Vanguard) 18" assault 3 weapons with S3 ap5. Looks lacking, but not only do they always wound on 6s, regardless of toughness, but they score 2 wounds on 6s. Love this weapon.

Other is the Galvanic Rifles (Rangers) which is basically sternguard kraken bolts with the prescision shots rule added. Unit is relentless and has move through cover, so seems like a pretty solid anti-sniper scout weapon.

Personally, I really like the idea of a Vanguard unit without special weapons as an escort unit for OP ICs, like Marneus Calgar, or someone similar. Not only do they lower enemy toughness in assault, but their shooting is awesome, especially against things with nasty toughness.

Oh, as an added note, codex has no HQ, but EVERY squad leader has relic access. In particular, there's a 20pt relic to give the model zealot. So, I don't need a chappy for zealot.

I wasn't talking about Rules-wise, I was talking about finding the bits for them. For example, I want to run two Squads of 5 Rangers, each with 2 Transuranic Arquebuses. That requires buying 40 Skitarii worth of kits to get all four guns, and unlike the standard Imperial weapons, I don't have a bunch of them lying around from other Armies.

You buy one box, yeah, you can field two Squads of 5 dudes each, but you've only got one of each Special, and 4 "slots" open for Specials. I mentioned the Caliver not because I think it's a great weapon (too expensive, should probably be around 20 Points here), but because it seems like the easiest to convert from existing bits.

In example, rather than that SS unit that my marines were doing. I'm thinking about something like this:

Vanguard (8, Alpha with Arc Maul, Mask, Phosphor Pistol, Conversion Field) 146pts

So unit is basically 7 vanguard with a robo-chappy.

Then I got room for two PA characters and they can fit in a stock land raider or small building. Depending on characters, might drop the arc maul

No special weapons for this unit, but it lets me double up on them for the second mandatory troops. Matters as West mentioned, because kit only has one of each.

I wasn't talking about Rules-wise, I was talking about finding the bits for them. For example, I want to run two Squads of 5 Rangers, each with 2 Transuranic Arquebuses. That requires buying 40 Skitarii worth of kits to get all four guns, and unlike the standard Imperial weapons, I don't have a bunch of them lying around from other Armies.

You buy one box, yeah, you can field two Squads of 5 dudes each, but you've only got one of each Special, and 4 "slots" open for Specials. I mentioned the Caliver not because I think it's a great weapon (too expensive, should probably be around 20 Points here), but because it seems like the easiest to convert from existing bits.

Depending on the unit, you might not need that many special weapons.

The Arquebuses are basically hochland long rifles, so the bits are already in circulation. Weapon is certainly nifty, but it's 30pts in addition to an already 9-11pt model (making them terminators). They also make that Omnispex upgrade almost mandatory (+10pts). So, while awesome, really expensive. I'm doubting you'd want duplicate units.

For me, the unit above, maybe a small haywire rifle unit, and probably a full size arquebus unit with omnispex. Even then, probably not all three units in every game.

As Pretre mentions, units are really fragile. Even with buildings, recall that damage to the building table is done in d6 multiples of S6 ap- ignores cover hits, so units won't be getting that nifty 6+ FNP from exploding buildings.

Without allies, I think that easy to convert plas weapon is very appealing, but only without allies. Then you'd need/want duplicate units. Still, very iffy without transport access.

Oh, in case you forgot. The sniper rule in 7th no longer gives rending to sniper weapons. They retain a pseudo rending, which is ap2 on 6s, but does not add to armor pen.

Snipers are S4 against vehicles. So aquabuses are S4+2d6, which glance rhinos on average rolls, but require above average to damage heavier armored targets. They can technically pen buildings and land raiders, but it's rolling a 5 and a 6 for armor pen, and double 6s for those AV15 buildings.

Most certainly an awesome toolbox heavy weapon team, but they don't bring reliable heavy AT.

125 for the Unit of 5 with 2 Arquebuses and an Omnispex. With 60" Range, I figure they can hang back in Cover, camp an Objective, and plink away pretty effectively. And I've got three ablative Wounds before they get to anything I care about. Wave Serpents will wreck them, but against most anything else, they should be alright.