Dark Angels in June

pretre

'Cause I can't justify spending 50 bucks on a new codex every 2 years. 4 years is fine, 2 is just not enough time.

Seriously? You can't justify paying $25 a year for your army? That's nothing.

And how many armies (other than maybe Space Marines) actually came out every 4 years...

• Like 1

Let's look at the flagship codexes:

Space Marines - 2015, 2013, 2008, 2004, 1998. Hey, look it's an average of 4.25.

Eldar - 2015, 2013, 2006, 1999. Average of 5.

Tyranids - 2014, 2010, 2005, 2001. 4 2/3. 

So unless you're SM or Tyranids, you weren't getting it every 4 years.

Second. I paint slowly; I just finished adjusting for Fortifications and am almost done adjusting for Flyers for all my armies.

I have what were 3 Chaos armies (now one large multi-legion horde), DAs, and SMs. I still haven't gotten Centurions yet. I might have to drop my DAs to keep up!

This argument I get more. You don't have to buy everything new though. I have four armies and certainly don't buy everything new but get the codexes in hardcover (when available) and any new units that I really like.

The flyers really threw me for a purchasing loop. I buy on a regular budget; flyers were something I really felt each army needed a solution for, a fundamental change. Not flyers necessarily- have 3 Mortis Dreads in my DAs- but units that could cope. Diverted my budget pretty heavily for a while. Did save for a Knight, too, because I do a fair bit of Apoc and it screams Apoc to me.

The flyers really threw me for a purchasing loop. I buy on a regular budget; flyers were something I really felt each army needed a solution for, a fundamental change. Not flyers necessarily- have 3 Mortis Dreads in my DAs- but units that could cope. Diverted my budget pretty heavily for a while. Did save for a Knight, too, because I do a fair bit of Apoc and it screams Apoc to me.

Heh. I got flyers for my SW and played with one for my SOB but ended up not really needing them. Mind you, I love the space wolf flyers.

• Like 1

Wait, so does this rumor in fact confirm that 40k and Fantasy are mixing in June and Sigmar is Lion El'Jonson, the Rock is part of Bubble Space, which is just old world minds wrapping around being snapped into the Eye of Terror, oblivious to the real war going on, not aware they were playing host to the last of the Old Ones' children?

• Like 1

Seriously? You can't justify paying $25 a year for your army? That's nothing.

And how many armies (other than maybe Space Marines) actually came out every 4 years...

Didn't say anything about 25 a year towards my army. I spend a good amount per year on my army so that's not my problem.

Anything I buy for my army stays and can be used without problem. None of it is disposable. Having to essentially throw away 50 bucks isn't an expense I want to endure.

Didn't say anything about 25 a year towards my army. I spend a good amount per year on my army so that's not my problem.

Anything I buy for my army stays and can be used without problem. None of it is disposable. Having to essentially throw away 50 bucks isn't an expense I want to endure.

/shrug

It isn't throwing away. You're getting use out of it for several years and then getting a new one. Chances are you spend more on gas to get to the game store (thrown away!) and event fees (thrown away!) than the codex in that two year time.

/shrug

It isn't throwing away. You're getting use out of it for several years and then getting a new one. Chances are you spend more on gas to get to the game store (thrown away!) and event fees (thrown away!) than the codex in that two year time.

I take the bus to dice age. I also don't pay event fees because I don't go to events. But go ahead be that way. It's fine, I don't mind.

I take the bus to dice age. I also don't pay event fees because I don't go to events. But go ahead be that way. It's fine, I don't mind.

So you probably pay more for the bus than codexes. Same thing. The point is that it is a minor part of the cost of 40k.

As soon as codexes were over 20 bucks I stopped buying. Unless a person only owns one army I never suggest anyone should buy the books. At this point GW should take the hint from smaller producers and make them free on PDF.

So 15 years ago you stopped buying books? Yikes.

Granted, the increase stopped me from buying every book as soon as they come out, but I still get all of them for my armies.

When paying hundreds to thousands of dollars for an army, we're really begrudging $50 every 2-4 years for books?

• Like 2

So you probably pay more for the bus than codexes. Same thing. The point is that it is a minor part of the cost of 40k.

I get it free from work so no, I don't.

I fail to see how an opinion is wrong and must be corrected/perspective'd. I don't agree with your replies. I also don't agree with paying for a codex every two years. That's just like my opinion, dude.

But I like reading the books...thus I buy them :)

I like reading them, too, but I use digital for reading.  The armies I play, I purchase the book when it's time to play events.  After purchasing my 4th copy of the Black Templar Codex, I had to change something, as I wasn't willing to purchase a white dwarf sub, and I enjoy thumbing the books.  The Horus Heresy Books are of some contention for me in this regard.  I don't play 30k, so I'd have to be buying them "knowing" that it is just for the fluff.  I am hard pressed to purchase them for that reason.  It's part of why I don't buy every army's book when it comes out.  

• Like 1

I get it free from work so no, I don't.

I fail to see how an opinion is wrong and must be corrected/perspective'd. I don't agree with your replies. I also don't agree with paying for a codex every two years. That's just like my opinion, dude.

It is your opinion. Opinions, however, can certainly be wrong. In this case, however, I don't think your opinion is wrong, per se. I just think it is silly to complain about paying $50 for an update to your army every two years when you get far more than $50 of use out of that update.

Whether you pay for your bus ticket or not, you certainly pay far more than $25 a year for other trappings associated with the hobby. Although I suppose it is possible you get all the food and drink you consume while gaming for free and make less than $25/year in updates to your models, dice, etc. as well. Just extremely unlikely.

Being a habitual cannabis user, I tend to value things in bags.  I try to maintain a fixed expendable income each month, and I include my cannabis consumption in that.  If I want to purchase a Reaver Titan, I either need to increase my top line, or not smoke for several months.  The American in me wants instant gratification, so neither my top line, nor my "Reaver Funds" have increased.  When encouraging people to get out of the house and enjoy our beautiful states, and they complain about fuel costs, I remind them that a Portland, Newport, Medford, Painted Hills, Dunes, it's all under 60 bucks round trip from Bend.

I'm gonna stop.  

• Like 1

It is your opinion. Opinions, however, can certainly be wrong. In this case, however, I don't think your opinion is wrong, per se. I just think it is silly to complain about paying $50 for an update to your army every two years when you get far more than $50 of use out of that update.

Whether you pay for your bus ticket or not, you certainly pay far more than $25 a year for other trappings associated with the hobby. Although I suppose it is possible you get all the food and drink you consume while gaming for free and make less than $25/year in updates to your models, dice, etc. as well. Just extremely unlikely.

Or I could not drink and eat while gaming: potential to dirty your surroundings/table/models etc. Besides, food and drink is going to be consumed regardless of gaming so it never counts as an expense as part of the hobby.

Anything I pay for in my hobby isn't a throw away item. Paint is used for a purpose, so is glue and anything else. The outcome is something I can keep for a lot longer than 2 years. For me, I can justify a book such as a codex as allowed to have a shelf life. But not 2 years; 2 years is too soon.

The problem is that like the rulebook, the codex is a requirement. I am not required to have more than x number of models to play a game. One can play a 500pt game on up if they want. But you can't play if you use an old codex. Thus it is a barrier that I can't logically justify having to pay every 2 years.