Thoughts on the new Space Marine Codex

Hey hey,

So I have been looking over the new Space Marine Codex, and I am liking it so far. I really like the layout of the new book, and some of the new information about the heraldry common to the various chapters and such.

As for the rules, I think they're pretty neat. So far I like:

1. Tank Squadrons: I like the idea of making an all tank based Space Marine army.
  2. Walker Squadrons: I am a bit on the fence about this. However, I am going to put myself in the "Pro" column on this change. They are going to be way more fighty.
  3. Fast Attack drop pods: I really like this change. I think I am going to pop my Dev Centurions into a Drop Pod. I like the idea of being able to place the cents about where I want them, without them getting shot off the table.
  4. Bikes: 3 man troops option if you put them with a Captain on a bike. I like that option.
  5. Stormwing Formation: I really like this formation. I think it pairs very well with the Demi-Company formation

So what do you guys think about the new codex?

• Like 1

I'm a fan from the read-through I've done. I quite like the price drops on Vanguard Vets and Terminators (tho they still need some more help for really competitive environments), and I've had a fondness for the Suppression Force since it first showed up back in Apoc 1.0, so I'm happy to see that back again.

My only real issue is that now the SW and BA are no longer inline with a bunch of things.

• Like 2

My only real issue is that now the SW and BA are no longer inline with a bunch of things.

Yeah. As a BA player I can only really shrug. Now Marines have cheaper and better scouts, cheaper terms, and your Dreads have the same stats as my Furiosos? Cool.

Well, I've been done with BA prior to this- but this cements it.

On a positive note- I generally like the entire dex. Most of it seems well balanced and not too far askew from the prior dex. The formations are stupid, free transports and drop pods full of devs with relentless and all that- that crap stinks- but the dex seems pretty sweet.

I have to keep beating the dead horse regarding BA (and SW, don't forget those blokes) due to the recent C:SM release. In fact, I dare say BA has more to be upset about since ours was only released a short time ago.

But of course the horse is dead so there isn't much we can do about it.

Is that the inherent issue with having sub-marine dexes? Any time the base dex gets an update, you'll be hanging out in the wind until you get a new book.

This is why I kind of liked the 3rd ed system, where the BA/DA/SW Dexes mostly just referenced the SM Dex, and so more or less got automatically updated when it did.

That said, it worked better back when it was like $25 for the base Dex and $15 for the add-on :P

• Like 2

I am rather Meh on the new codex. The artwork is cool in some places but odd in others (Cutout of the Landraider nice but it is the only vehicle that gets that artwork). The models pics are alright but there are painting houses that do WAY better looking paint jobs. 

As far as the stats go I am happy with the changes. I find it odd that the Legion gets an entry but no real good way of using them in a formation. Kind of a random add on. Guess you can only use them without a formation? Or does someone have a better idea of how to use them. 

Otherwise it just looks like a normal GW cash grab with the whole "Look at all the free stuff you can take.....but buy the models first". 

I am rather Meh on the new codex. The artwork is cool in some places but odd in others (Cutout of the Landraider nice but it is the only vehicle that gets that artwork). The models pics are alright but there are painting houses that do WAY better looking paint jobs. 

As far as the stats go I am happy with the changes. I find it odd that the Legion gets an entry but no real good way of using them in a formation. Kind of a random add on. Guess you can only use them without a formation? Or does someone have a better idea of how to use them. 

That Land Raider cutaway pic is re-used artwork from back when the Land Raider kit was first re-designed back around the turn of the century. I think they did a similar one for the Predator when it got redone, but none of the other tanks got one as far as I know.

Legion of the Damned have a Dataslate that lets you take them as their own Detachment anyhow. I figure that's probably how they expect you to use them alongside the Gladius.

Well, I suppose the big advantage to the new Space Marine codex, is that there is a lot of flexibility. Tons of different ways to build an army. But I think there is still going to be a place for BA & SW. That is going to be in specialized armies. If are running BA for example, it might not behoove you to run shooty terminators, but instead fighty terminators with a banner, led by a sanguinary priest. The close combat focus of that unit is very much the feel of blood Angels, while the unit makeup is something that Space Marines can't do. Why use Vanguard Veterans when you can use Death Company or Sanguinary Guard? Why use bikes, when you can use wolves?

The key,I think, is to focus on the unique units that your codex can offer; instead of getting into a mental arms race over whose tactical squads are better? How about how are your tactical squads different?

For me? I think I will be adding a drop pod to my army for my Centurions. I love my Devatator Centurions, and use them quite a bit. Now I have the chance to deploy them via drop pod? Yes please! :D

• Like 1

I'm glad I just waited instead of jumping into reworking my list using allied fast attack drop pods. My stubborn adherence to trying for less imperial books worked out!

I do have to say I'm enjoying playing other factions (imperial knights) and might be gone from codex Marines for awhile

The Baleflamer is not a Flamer weapon. Suck on it, loyalist!

Pretty sure it's listed as one in the CSM book.

Though it reminds me that melta bombs work on the avatar because melta bombs aren't melta weapons....

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found any success with the vehicle units? I'd like to take 3 predators for the tank hunter bonus but it seems wasteful to have 3 big guns always shooting at the same target. Maybe it's more appropriate for the cheaper whirlwinds. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Has anyone found any success with the vehicle units? I'd like to take 3 predators for the tank hunter bonus but it seems wasteful to have 3 big guns always shooting at the same target. Maybe it's more appropriate for the cheaper whirlwinds. Any thoughts?

Not as a vehicle unit, but I did field a full 3 heavy slots of Las preds in the last codex. Downright reliable AA.... but very spendy. Too spendy to field again.

Main advantage with the vehicle squadrons is the targeting rules. Opponent must resolve shots against the closest model, even if the only one they are in the front arc of happens to be the closest. Though the downside is that if the opponent has enough shots to cleave through one tank, any extras will wrap around to the other tanks.

It is notable that the pred version does not require sponsons, which does drive down the cost of the unit quite a bit. Main point of the sponsons was to get more guns in the pred unit, anyway, so being able to field more tanks makes the sponsons less impressive.

I do, really like the Whirlwind version, but have yet to field it.

Honestly, even with Tank Hunter, 3 AutoLas Preds only barely pull up an expected value of Wrecking an AV12 Target with 4+Cover, or killing a Fex with the same Cover. I suspect there'd be less overkill than you might imagine. 345 Points for that, which is spendy, but not ludicrous.

The Whirlwinds are what I'm really looking at taking as a full Squadron, tho, particularly in a Suppression Force. I just wish Dark Angels could use that Formation, since a RavenWing Speeder would be significantly more survivable as the Spotter.