Is anyone playing fantasy or AoS anymore

Definitely holding on to my Ogre army (no interest in letting those guys go, will probably be buried with them, heh), but like a lot of people I'm waiting for the dust to settle. Trying out other things and having a really good time with it. Mordheim is and has been my favorite GW system for a while now, so I feel pretty lucky that I get to play that on a weekly basis.

I've played a single game of Kings of War. Wasn't bad, but I was still very much in WHFB mode, as it was a week after OFCC. Couldn't shake the feeling that it was "WHFB Lite." Definitely want to give it another shot though, maybe once the actual rule book drops. Picked up some Blood Bowl stuff that I'm messing around with. Looking at giving Malifaux a shot, possibly Infinity. Played a game of 40K with my nephew on Sunday. All in all, keeping busy!

I do miss Fantasy though, don't want to see it go away. Unfortunately haven't seen any "living / community" rules put out there that I've been a fan of. A lot of them seem to be trying to reinvent the game, when I feel (IMHO) that one or two things just needs a tweek from 8th. But that might just be me.

• Like 1

idk i find 9th age to not be 'that' much different than 8th but does have some key differences... their new revision i like a lot more.  they made some changes i like for example making copters/cannons in rare and switching drakes/rangers to special.   will make dwarfs have more infantry options and less artillery heavy.  i can finally actually BRING rangers which i love them so that will be fun! http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/&s=a84b374ae9ee16a5977c27fa67a0817f1a42dd4f

I am pretty much a copy of Andrewgeddon right now, as far as Fantasy is concerned. Been excited to play Mordheim again after many, many years, and enjoying the heck out of it. I also have played a game of KoW - and it definitely has that 'WHFB-lite' vibe (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but we also did play a MUCH smaller-sized game than usual just to get the rules down. I think if we played 'regular' sized game it might give us a better feel for it? I do plan on playing it again - have a bunch of movement trays on order to add to my current stash.

AoS just isn't grabbing me right now. At first I had high hopes for it, but the more I watched and played, the less interesting it felt. I still see glaring holes in the system, and I am sure that contributes to my lack of enthusiasm, I am sure.

Still have my Blood Bowl stuff and of course two huge 40K armies, so happy to play those when I can as well. I did pick up a great deal on a Deadzone starter force with terrain, and I plan to get an intro game to that soon.

Most of my time recently has been devoted to collecting, building, painting Infinity stuff. That's my current craze, really.

Ultimately, if someone is setting up some 8th ed WHFB games, I'd jump in if I am free. I've kept my stuff (and plan to keep it), and being my first mass-combat game from back in 1989, I doubt I'll ever totally get rid of my WHFB stuff.

I've been trying to take the high road and stay positive, but the shock's over now and the dust HAS settled I think, and I'll be honest: I'm still in a state of disbelief that GW actually just canned the game I've been playing since I was like 10 years old or something!  It seems so unreal, and then to follow with AoS and those BowMarines makes me wonder who the hell is at the helm and do they have any artistic sense at all?  

The Warhammer models, from Brets to Dark Elves, to Dwarves and Orcs, to Chaos Warriors to Saurus, are flat out amazing and beautiful models - no other game comes close IMO.  And yet to ring in their new game they roll out some of the most uninspiring, aesthetically void models I've seen... like 40k space marines but worse because no Terminators.  That more than anything has killed whatever interest I might have had in AoS.  

Plus, I'll be honest, I'm a little sour toward GW... I had thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours invested in that game, and they basically canceled it and said, "buy these guys now, play this game now!".  Um, eff-you GW, and hello Malifaux, that's how I'm feeling right now!!

• Like 3

PS: On the bright side, Malifaux is looking like a fantastic game (kinda figured it would be given Dan and Mark-5's endorsement), and I would have never had hobby time to look into it if not for GW killing off WFB!

Plus, KoW is looking like a fun and easy way to play mass fantasy using my WFB models, tables, etc.  I may or may not get into it enough to want to play it at OFCC 2016 (for example) but it's a good way to scratch the itch and it doesn't require the same level of offline investment as WFB (where if you want to play tourneys, you're constantly revising your army from a modeling standpoint).  

Anywho, two bits of silver lining, neither of which GW has anything to do with... eff them still :)

• Like 2

idk i find 9th age to not be 'that' much different than 8th but does have some key differences... their new revision i like a lot more.  they made some changes i like for example making copters/cannons in rare and switching drakes/rangers to special.   will make dwarfs have more infantry options and less artillery heavy.  i can finally actually BRING rangers which i love them so that will be fun! http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/&s=a84b374ae9ee16a5977c27fa67a0817f1a42dd4f

If a new system is to be used, I definitely feel like this is the current front-runner.   Personally I don't see too much that needs to change from the current edition. 

That being said, the way that they have written their new beastmen army book changes the army completely.  You could make some very different and interesting lists using it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not posted in an age. I collected a number of armies, kept making promises to play, and simply never made the time to do it. This was all during my undergrad program which ended last Dec. I am now in Indiana in my masters program and am actually finally playing the game. AoS sucked me into finally palming plastic and pushing it about on the table. Its a fantastic game. Balance was an issue at first, however we found a warcroll builder site that really seems to provide balanced play lists. 

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

I still do not have a lot of time to game, however now I am actually playing with my fantasy model collections and having a good time. The game runs fast, still has some depth to it, and folks seem to not take it so seriously, which in my book is a win win win.

• Like 1

I've not posted in an age. I collected a number of armies, kept making promises to play, and simply never made the time to do it. This was all during my undergrad program which ended last Dec. I am now in Indiana in my masters program and am actually finally playing the game. AoS sucked me into finally palming plastic and pushing it about on the table. Its a fantastic game. Balance was an issue at first, however we found a warcroll builder site that really seems to provide balanced play lists. 

http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

I still do not have a lot of time to game, however now I am actually playing with my fantasy model collections and having a good time. The game runs fast, still has some depth to it, and folks seem to not take it so seriously, which in my book is a win win win.

Just a heads up, the Ordo boards have split. Now we've got the AoS guys in one section, and the fantasy players in another. Suggest posting your pro AoS things in this section http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/forum/61-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Heyas james! Hope you are doing well back in my home state! :)

Yep, there are folks who are very pro AoS, and those who are very much against. Hence both AoS wnd WH Fantasy have their own sections. It was not a very pretty breakup in some places. ;)

Ive only gotten to play a handful of AoS games since it came out, and have gotten to watch several more. My attention has really been pulled elsewhere, though.

-tim

Since Fantasy I tried AoS, Warmahordes, and KoW. I'm also still attending what fantasy events exist, but am not interested in investing time in an unsupported game long term.

At first KoW was not super exciting. Now that I'm more games in it very much is right now. I'm 6 games (and too may theory crafting house) in and at the point where I understand enough to realize they're some real depth and variety but haven't yet nailed it all down. There is much more to the game than a fantasy player tends to see first time through. It's a lot of fun, and in some ways I like it better than I ever did fantasy, though in some ways not as much.

I just hope enough people give it a fair shot to form a significant tournament scene.

So, above is my TLDR, but some of the other DC guys and I talked about our post-warhammer experience in the final DC Podcast/first KoW Podcast.

Pro AoS? You mean there is actual hostility? Certainly you are joking? People were expressing views on the game here Pax, so I expressed mine. I figure that it is adults who post here.

Figure is just sly talk for assuming.  And assuming makes asses of us all.  Please. stop making asses of us all, Mr. Beadle. 

Having never played Fantasy, AoS looks tempting in a Board Game sort of way to play with non-war gamers in a fantasy setting.  I could be off base in this view, but that is my take away.

• Like 1

My habit is just to make an ass of myself. I am unfortunately very practiced at it. 

I didn't really ever play 8th Ed much, just a handful of games. I always wanted to, but I didn't really have time to hobby and play. So I focused on WM/H and just make noise about playing WHFB.

I don't know if AoS would really appeal to boardgamers. The rules are very simple, however the units each have their own rules which adds some small amount of complexity to the mix.

Movement is still very critical, so are proper screens and Setting up reliable charges. Certain units preform well in combos with other units, etc. etc. However the game is much simplified and you have to find a way to balance it. We have been using http://www.scrollbuilder.com/ which has been creating well balanced games so far.

• Like 1