40k OFCC Idea

Mr.MoreTanks

Howdy folks, Capt A and I are thinking about applying to dual HOG the next OFCC. 

We've been talking about ideas to help reinvigorate the fun and unique aspect of OFCC and I had an idea that I thought I might first ask the lot of you before proposing it to the senate. 

How would you feel about instead of players playing individually, they play 2 vs 2.  Hear me out, we reduce individual point limits to around 1,250pts or so, and limit each player to 2 detachments.  When you and your teammate are playing on the field you interact with your teammates' models as if they were Allies of Convenience.  This prevents you and your opponents from pulling off insane combos, or being next to useless.  In addition, we may attempt to institute a limit of codexes per team.  

This is just a rough idea, but I really like the idea of players actually playing together for a team event. 

In addition to this, I was thinking of having players receive a specific number; 1-4.  In each round, players are paired with a specific number.  This removes a HUGE level of chipmunking or sandbagging that, let's face it, is becoming all too often at OFCC.  By having the pairings already set, it solves one of the most frustrating aspects of OFCC.  We'd let players on a team choose which number they are, and show which teammates are playing which missions, and most likely we'd let Captains create final pairings for round 5.  

One other excellent advantage to this format is that it helps out those gamer's who are far more casual if they are playing with a teammate who is far more up to date on their rules.  This prevents rules from falling under the cracks, and let's face it that happens enough as is, and prevents an inexperienced or out of practice player from being walked on rules wise and feeling trapped.  

So what do you guys think?  Would some changes to OFCC kill it for you?  Are these ideas too much or too little?  What do you guys think?  

• Like 3

I love both you guys, but I hate both big ideas.  

Team Games:  I'm too much of a control freak to enjoy pairing up with someone else to play a game.  I know team games are a popular format and I'm in the minority, but I [big bad swear word]ing hate 'em.  I like your ideas about how the pairing would work, but I honestly would totally pass on OFCC if it was this style of play.  

No Captain Matching:  I think this is the *best* thing OFCC has going for it, but I understand that quite a few people have had bad experiences with this.  I'm not sure how to not throw the baby out with the bath water, but put me down as in favor of captain matchups.  What I WOULD like to see is captain matchups being done for all rounds and having all team matchups decided in advance.  

• Like 4

My first concern is longer game times. 2.5k with 4 generals will add some duration to games. Second concern is mostly fluff related (Odd army matchups in terms of Nids alongside... well.... anything for instance).

I think the format is pretty nifty however, and would love to attend something like this. I guess one of the perks of swapping HoGs each year is the ability to try out different formats. Though this is a pretty big departure from normal and that might turn people off.

But, there's the Open for most of the people that would be turned off by this sort of change.

I say bring it.

I'm with Fluger on this one. The Captain Matchup system is one of my favorite parts of OFCC, even if it can, at times, be gamed. But I've far more often seen it used to avoid tossing people into boring or unwinnable matchups, or to get "challenge" matches between Players who've wanted to play against each other, or who happen to have Armies that theme really well against each other.

And while I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate doubles games, I've generally found them to be a major hassle, and far more trouble than fun.

• Like 2

Yeah, doubles format is REALLY popular (as I said), and it does take some of the competitive edge off (which plays to OFCC's stated mission) so I can see why it would happen.  Don't take my personal dislike too strongly into consideration in this regard.  

Perhaps I'll just try and get the nascent Warmachine part of OFCC off the ground instead.

I'll contribute to the dissident vote.  Now, what would get my vote would be if your team pairings was rolled each time.  So you don't know which of your 3 team mates you'll be partnered with.  

That doesn't mean I think OFCC is the place for a doubles tourney.  Unless it was one of the options at the event.  Sign up for the Open, the Invitational, or the Team Event.  If there is enough interest.  Those that want to do the team can do the team.  Maybe make a poll with those 3 options and see where the votes go?

I'm glad you brought that up splix, it's so obvious I can't believe I didn't even think about it. 

I would love to do this with someone who is ultra comfortable with the rules a lot more than myself! Sounds like a great idea and would encourage lesser confident folks to team up with someone who knows the rules inside and out to have an enjoyable day! Great idea! 

I'd totally play in a doubles OFCC. As mentioned above I think it will really encourage the "casual format" that OFCC is known for. Game times will be longer but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. Would scoring move from players individually to pairs of players?

I do like the captain matchup system at OFCC, but I felt like I had to "throw someone under the bus" every round last year. There was always one matchup that was relatively unavoidable and neither player was super happy about it. Random pairings wouldn't eliminate this but they'd make me feel better about bad matchups, lol.

• Like 1

I'll contribute to the dissident vote.  Now, what would get my vote would be if your team pairings was rolled each time.  So you don't know which of your 3 team mates you'll be partnered with. 

This would be so cool. Maybe with some modifications so you don't play with the same person all day due to rolling? Or maybe you change the person you played with every round?

I'm with Fluger on this. I was planning on (and very excited about) the 40k OFCC this year, but I'd reconsider that if it was a doubles event. I'm also really against getting rid of captain matching. If chipmunking and sandbagging are a concern, then it's time to put the invitational back into the OFCC.

If you want an (more) accurate count of where people stand, I'd suggest sticking up a poll, or specifically reaching out to last year's captains and/or attendees.

• Like 4

The idea is that in my system you would play with a new teammate every round until the final 5th round. 

Well you only have 3 teammates, so wouldn't that only take you to round 4?

I would suggest doing one day of doubles, and one day of singles. You need at least a couple rounds of singles at a higher point limit to enable people to bring toys, have big themed displays, etc.

This would be great. Best of both worlds. You run out of unique teammates after 3 games anyway. I vote for 3 doubles and 2 singles games.