Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Heard such rave reviews that I thought I'd check it out.

It sure was a lot. Lots of what? Stuff. . . . and things. . .did I already mention the stuff? It was blah. Bland. Beige. But lots of it! Hard movie to explain.

It's like mashed potatoes. Everybody loves mashed potatoes. Just a big ol plate of mashed taters. Gravy? Not taters, no room. Butter, garlic chive? No room, gotta get more taters!

Boring action scenes strung together by not-suspensful suspense and plot turns that just...turn. It felt like a movie made by an AI. All the things a great movie should have, but used poorly and in the wrong ways. It wasn't memorable enough to like, it wasn't memorable enough to dislike.

It just was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I don't know where all the praise for it comes from either.

The action scenes are engaging, at least, if you keep in mind that it is Tom Cruise flying that helicopter and leaping across buildings. That's cool, but otherwise it just felt sorta heartless. I was disappointed because I liked 3, 4, and 5 a lot.

1 hour ago, PourSpelur said:

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Heard such rave reviews that I thought I'd check it out.

It sure was a lot. Lots of what? Stuff. . . . and things. . .did I already mention the stuff? It was blah. Bland. Beige. But lots of it! Hard movie to explain.

It's like mashed potatoes. Everybody loves mashed potatoes. Just a big ol plate of mashed taters. Gravy? Not taters, no room. Butter, garlic chive? No room, gotta get more taters!

Boring action scenes strung together by not-suspensful suspense and plot turns that just...turn. It felt like a movie made by an AI. All the things a great movie should have, but used poorly and in the wrong ways. It wasn't memorable enough to like, it wasn't memorable enough to dislike.

It just was.

I liked your review better without the movie title. Very satirical.

• Thanks 1

Tales of Halloween: One of the better Horror Anthology flicks I've seen. As usual, there are some that really wanted more time to unfold (particularly The Weak and the Wicked, Trick, and Ding Dong), but they're still good. Trick and The Ransom of Rusty Rex were my faves. Kinda wish I'd saved it until Halloween itself. Might re-watch it then anyhow.

Malevolent: Orphaned siblings run a con, faking hauntings and then "exorcising" them. Things are a bit rocky, but working out reasonably well until the sister has the horrifying realization that her brother is a colossal douchebag* she actually does have, to at least some extent, the psychic powers she's been claiming as her part in the con, the house they're currently working is genuinely haunted, and they're in way over their heads. Pretty good, not great, but I can't really put my finger on just what it needs to be its best possible self. It just...needs to be like 20% more awesome.

Jurassic Park III: It's a Jurassic Park movie. The dinosaurs are cool, the people are idiots, and there are also a few explosions, just in case the dinosaurs don't provide enough excitement.

*Unfortunately, even by the end of the flick, she doesn't seem to have figured this out.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:25 PM, Ish said:

Re-re-re-[etcetera]-watched Hunt for Red October. Best damn adaptation of anything Clancy ever wrote and just a damn near flawless film on its own merits.

I don't really follow clancy, but I did enjoy this film.

The Haunting of Molly Hartley: Rated M for "meh". Like a lot of horror flicks, there's potential in the concept, but the acting is all just so over-done that it's really hard to care about any of it. I might have actually seen the sequel first. I'm not sure. By all accounts, it was pretty un-memorable, so I don't care enough to watch it (possibly again) to figure it out.

Emelie: Actually ended up being kind of the opposite of what I was expecting from the capsule description. Which, honestly, on looking at it again afterward, was kind of on me; I misread it. That said, what it actually is, is a better flick than I was expecting. This is one of those that's scary because it's so plausible. Some really good work rounding out the title character in particular. Even taking into account the child actors being the usual bunch of obnoxious brats, it's a good flick.

Harry Brown (2009) a nice blend of pot boiler and vigilante revenge film, as an aging pensioner gets revenge on the lowlife hoodlums terrorizing the neighborhood. All perfectly played with that masterful blend of fury, focus, and fragility that only Michael Caine can deliver. 

If your a fan of Caine’s early work, like Get Carter, then you’ll probably enjoy this film a lot. If your only familiar with Caine from his “affable father-figure” roles in more recent movies like Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy or various comedies... Well, buckle up, because this is a dark ride.

Venomnomnomnom: The movie is a complete mess, but it needs to be, because the character of Venom is, themselves, as much of a mess as combined entities make of English grammar. It somehow works. It's a glorious, wonderful mess. This is not a movie to watch for the plot or anything like that. This movie is basically about Tom Hardy completely losing it, except the hallucinations are actually real. The straight up fight scenes are decent at best, but the big chase scene, and the fight scenes that are more like something out of an Alien movie, are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:25 PM, Ish said:

Re-re-re-[etcetera]-watched Hunt for Red October. Best damn adaptation of anything Clancy ever wrote and just a damn near flawless film on its own merits.

It is incredibly good!

The third in a string of three great movies directed by John McTiernan .

• Like 1

McTiernan was pretty hit-or-miss as a director, but he knocked it out of the park with Red October. I’ve always wished we could have gotten sequels to this movie, instead of the Harrison Ford films.

They’re good movies, but Ford never feels like Jack Ryan, to me. He just feels like “Harrison Ford, Action Hero.” You could totally redub them with the name of his character from Air Force One and no one would notice. Ford is kind of like Liam Neeson and Tom Cruise: really good actors who have this tendency to play action flicks in this weird way where they are same character in all of them. (Cruise’s basically the character in Knight and Day, in Mission: Impossible, in Minority Report, etc.

Baldwin’s Jack Ryan felt like Jack Ryan. 

A Star is Born - 8/10 - good music, very engaging, excellent acting. Didn't realize it was the fourth movie to hold that title. First one was 1937. Second one starred Judy Garland. I'm pretty sure the first two didn't delve into the horror of alcohol addiction like this one did. Still, would kind of be interesting to see those and compare. 

• Like 1

Last couple months I've been watching movies that I used to love back in the day. It's a roller coaster. Sometimes I'll be struck by just how much of the love I have for a movie is through pure nostalgia. Yeah, I know it's trash but the second I hit play on the original Transformers cartoon? I was eight again and having a sleepover at my buddy Bryan's. His Mom made us popcorn, we got to ride our bikes to the video store and pick a movie all on our own. It was a big deal. It may be garbage, but it's my garbage and I love it.

Finally broke down and rewatched RoboCop. I've been holding off because it's my favorite. It always stings a bit when you realize just how poorly they've aged.

It hasn't. It's still fantastic.

I made sure to take those rose colored glasses off and watch it with an open mind and was honestly blown away by how great it still is. Every hack trope that simply has to be in every movie? Toss em right in a flaming trash can. Murphy and Lewis are partners, damn good partners. Sexual chemistry? Nope. Oh it's because she's a lesbian? Nope...maybe...it's never pointed out. Because it isn't necessary. Lewis is a badass because she's a badass. Murphy is a bit of a goober but still pretty badass. Clarence Boddiker?!? Is he a giant man-mountain with an easily copied and marketed serrated knife? Nope. Leather jacket and face tattoos? Nope. He looks like the guy who does my taxes. You can tell he's a badguy because he does badguy stuff and does it very well. No scene at the beginning showing him kick a puppy but it's still very obvious he's a dangerous psychopath.

At about the hour mark it hit me just how subtle this movie is. It's buried under 3 tons of in-your-face insanity but it's there. The real villian is a corporate boardroom. RoboCop doesn't win, he doesn't lose, he just gets to fight one more day.

A man looses everything that makes him a man, becomes a better cop in the process. It's only after he gets some of his humaity back that he becomes a better one.

Final rating: I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Venom.

3/5

Remarkably unremarkable film. I didn't really like or hate it. There were no memorable lines. It was not a waste of time, but I probably won't watch it again. Nothing offended me, but there's nothing to praise in this film either.