Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

On 11/21/2018 at 3:33 AM, WestRider said:

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Surprisingly awesome, and super gay 😄

I couldn't sleep one night and started watching this one (because westrider suggested it). It's not great, but also not terrible. Surprisingly awesome maybe a tad extreme, but it's a decent show in a time when most shows are crap. I think it would be better if I were 12, which seems to be the target audience age.

I will note that despite being a female focused show, they don't express their feminity by degrading males, as far too many other female focused shows seem to think is the correct approach. This show is not about social justice, just female heros defeating bad guys (which is what it should be). I was very impressed on this point. 

I did not run into any "super gay" moments. Though maybe I wasn't looking hard enough for them. It does use a lot of Rainbows, but if you've forgotten, Rainbows are/were a very Christian symbol much before they had anything to do with homosexuality. Seems like good christian programming (not unlike the original).

broadchurch_0.jpg?itok=wUzhvvRc

BBC police procedural that differs significantly from most police procedurals in that the entire show is basically about one crime. Unlike Law and Order which has a homicide or two go from investigation to conviction in an hour, or your standard Columbo style detective dramas that figure out whodunnit in an hour and skip the trial completely... Broadchurch spends the entire first series solving the crime and most of series two is dominated by the trial.

A young boy is found dead on the beach in a small English town... and foul play is soon evident. The police begin to investigate and a lot of the town’s secrets begin to spill out. Imagine Twin Peaks without the supernatural elements.

Each series isn’t quite as good as the previous and I get the impression it’s because the creative team was being pushed to make the show into something more Law and Order-y... Probably to help sell it to Americans. 

The performances from everyone in front of the camera are outstanding, the direction is amazing in series one and still damn good through to the end, and the cinematography (not something I often get to say about tv) is stellar. 

Highly recommended to anyone who likes this sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Rhetorical question.

How to summon a demon lord

2.5/7

Ridiculous anime this side of being hentai. 

I saw that one too. Didn't bother rating it though. A bad example of a Harem anime.

I still watched every episode hoping it would get better...

• 1 month later...

Goblin Slayer (Season 1, 12 episodes)

5/5

A real gem of an anime. Watch it. Show is about an adventurer that is obsessed with slaying goblins. Very well done. Captures the pen and paper rpg experience quite well and inspires me to make more characters for D&D type games.

Warning to parents, show is very much not for kids. Very dark, evil goblins in this setting. They really pushed the goblins to a chaotic evil race in order to make the show better - and it is great, just not for kids.

50 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Warning to parents, show is very much not for kids. Very dark, evil goblins in this setting. They really pushed the goblins to a chaotic evil race in order to make the show better - and it is great, just not for kids.

How "not for kids" are we talking? Because an anime about a D&D style adventure seems perfect for my daughters... Since they both love anime and the oldest really digs D&D. 

We talking Record of Lodoss War levels of violence and evil, or Berserk levels of violence and evil?

55 minutes ago, Ish said:

How "not for kids" are we talking? Because an anime about a D&D style adventure seems perfect for my daughters... Since they both love anime and the oldest really digs D&D. 

We talking Record of Lodoss War levels of violence and evil, or Berserk levels of violence and evil?

Rape. Lots of blood. Evil is sadistic, not just villainous. Protagonist is essentially a psychopathic serial killer, and he's the "good guy" of the setting.

Maybe not as bad as the newer Berserk series, but similar to that in levels of violence. Berserk is more metaphysical than this one is, which I think makes berserk more disturbing than it is violent.

Basically, the protagonist is a Ranger with favored enemy Goblin, and they focused on him and his favored enemy. And they did a great job, getting into the mind of a character with a favored enemy. The problem is that it's basically the mind of a serial killer. So it's one of those shows where they had to make the enemy really evil in order to justify the protagonist being a good guy.

They did a very good job, it's just not for kids.

Dunno, watch the first episode. It doesn't get worse than that.

Oh, I think I forgot to rate this one before:

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody

5/5

Anime. A non-sex Harem set in an RPG fantasy world. Without giving too much away, show is about an overpowered fantasy RPG character that didn't really earn his strength, but is exploring a world without any real challenges. There's really never any danger for the protagonist after the intro episode and everything always works out for him. The show is relaxing. I really wish there were more shows like this.

Basically, show is about an RPG group where the main PC is near-max level and all the quests are designed for level 1s, and the PC just takes their time to enjoy the game. Makes me kinda want to try such a game with players.

Odd morality in the show too. Protagonist is lawful good, but there are times in the show where you start thinking about the morality and note that it is just slightly off of what you'd agree with in certain areas. Minor things.

Definitely fine for kids. https://www.crunchyroll.com/death-march-to-the-parallel-world-rhapsody

I've tried to buy this one a few times. I really like it. No one will sell it in the states. Not sure why exactly. Capitalism fails if no one will sell a thing to you.

Wow, quite a few I forgot to rate. Looking them over on Crunchyroll.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-

4/5

Anime. Tough to describe without giving too much away. It's a lot like Groundhog's day, the film, but over 26 episodes and in a fantasy RPG setting.

Not as bad as that Goblin Slayer, but this one has very bloody moments and is pretty psychological at times. Probably kid appropriate, but not for little kids.

Not 5/5 because it's one of those where you can't really rewatch it. It's good, but once you know what happens, it's not as impressive.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/rezero-starting-life-in-another-world-

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

5/5

Anime. This one is near perfect. Highly recommend for all ages.

Very basic anime in fantasy RPG setting about protagonist NG adventurer that tries hard and succeeds. This one is on Hulu and is availible dubbed and subbed (as with all anime, subbed is much better).

PS: I don't like most of anime that I watch. I just only rate on here the ones that are good. I'm aware that most people on here don't really want to know about every cartoon that's released, just the ones that are good. And most anime is really terrible.

Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-

A special note for this one. This one is horrible. Such a waste of time to watch.

Show presents as chosen ones summoned to fight a daemon lord in a fantasy adventure.

And then the entire show shifts to be a clue-like murder mystery about why 7 people people showed up instead of the prophetic 6. And they never even get to the daemon lord. Painfully aggravating to watch.

Happy!

Have you watched it yet? If not, do so now...like NOW. It's really good.

Beat up, has-been, moderately psychotic, dunk, reprobate looser gets found by the imaginary friend of a kidnapped little girl and the two have to find her.

It's a weird mis-mash of themes. Hyper violence and magical surrealism, crushing despair and juuuust enough hope and goodness to keep you moving through.

10ish episodes, 44 minutes each. Full story, beginning middle and end.

Absolutely perfect.

A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 3

• Verbose Fanciful Dialogue
  • Visually Fantastic Drama
  • Vastly Funny Drollery
  • Very Farcical Direction

Loved the whole series.  Worth watching for Patrick Warburton’s dead-pan delivery, but the casting is top notch the whole way through.  Highly recommended.  

5/5 - Sugar Bowls

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shmitty said:

• Vastly Funny Drollery

Loved the whole series.  Worth watching for Patrick Warburton’s dead-pan delivery, but the casting is top notch the whole way through.  Highly recommended.  

5/5 - Sugar Bowls

I'm just catching up on season 2 right now. It slipped off my radar somehow. Really looking forward to getting into S3.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:40 PM, shmitty said:

• Vastly Funny Drollery

5/5 - Sugar Bowls

It is excellent, but I would also add

• Very F$^%ing Depressing

The message of the theme song is not entirely a joke.

A number of aspects, including the various mysteries, Olaf's ludicrous disguises, the child investigators, and the cyclical nature of the themes and overall narrative reminded me somewhat of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I kept half expecting "This has all happened before" to start coming up as a motif in the dialogue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WestRider said:

It is excellent, but I would also add

• Very F$^%ing Depressing

The message of the theme song is not entirely a joke.

A number of aspects, including the various mysteries, Olaf's ludicrous disguises, the child investigators, and the cyclical nature of the themes and overall narrative reminded me somewhat of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I kept half expecting "This has all happened before" to start coming up as a motif in the dialogue.

Cakesniffer!

I loved the whole dark, depressing, glorious show. 

As a side note, I have always had a thing for Sara Rue and librarians so...yeah... pretty much perfect show.

• Like 1