Eldar info

InfestedKerrigan

Craftworld Focus: Saim-Hann

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Banner1kds.j

Warriors from Craftworld Saim-Hann are noted for their ferocity, striking the enemies of the Aeldari in vast Windrider hosts. On the tabletop, Saim-Hann is the ultimate Craftworld for fans of Jetbikes and Aeldari assault units, making for a fast moving and highly aggressive army.

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Image1lrs.jp

The Attribute

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Boxout1ghds.

Wild Host provides re-rolls to charges for all of your units, as well as allowing your Bikers to avoid the penalty for moving and firing their Heavy weapons. This makes the armies of Saim-Hann exceptionally mobile and aggressive, and helps you get the most out of any of your Biker units, from mounted Skyrunner Conclaves to the humble Windrider. Remember, thanks to Fly, all Jetbike units can fire the turn they fall back – one particularly deadly trick you can pull of with Saim-Hann is shooting, then charging a unit to bury yourself in a relatively safe combat, before falling back and firing again!

Best Units

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-SubHeader1jk

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Image3qjkw.j

Windriders in the new Craftworlds codex are fantastic, and scatter laser-armed Saim-Hann Windriders are a fast moving (if fragile) fire support unit. Naturally, being able to move and shoot these weapons without penalty is great, but there’s more. Both Windriders and the scatter laser have seen considerable points reductions, making them highly efficient choices in a Craftworlds army list.

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-SubHeader2ks

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Image2lres.j

Thanks to the Biker keyword, Vypers benefit from the Saim-Hann Craftworld Attribute and, as such, make superb heavy weapons platforms. Again, this unit has seen a small but welcome reduction in points, while several Stratagems only serve to make it more effective on the tabletop. Our favourite is Fire and Fade – you’ll be able to dash out of cover to take a key shot against an enemy vehicle, before returning to a safe spot behind some line-of-sight blocking terrain.

40kCraftworldFocus-SaimHann-Boxout2lr.jp

In short, Saim-Hann armies are fast, fierce and have a lot of firepower – everything you’d expect from the Wild Host! If you prefer to wage war with a little more subtlety, then you won’t want to miss our look at the stealthy armies of Alaitoc (and the vastly improved Fire Prism) tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think the Fire and Fade is great for footslogging Wraithguard who move at 5" as it is.  Move, shoot, high-tail it up the field even further.

The Wild-Host boost is almost better for a Biel-Tan army, especially one with lots of Striking Scorpions.  Cheaper than having an Avatar nearby to goose them on the charge.  Hmmmm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

Why do I need a command point to link? They've always been able to, now I have to waste points to do so.

Not sure what they did before, but that link rule has them able to all target a unit that only one of them can see or is in range of, provided they have visibility and range to the friendly model that is the firer. Means you can have a really nasty gunline that's hard to deny LoS to. Plus they all re-roll hits and wounds. 

Re: Fire Prisms - thank the gods! I love the models, and field them even though their one shot a turn is pretty lackluster. Two shots a turn when moving under half speed is going to be very welcome!

I wonder how much more mileage they are going to get out of that -1 to hit at over 12", though! I used to think my raven Guard were special, but Alpha Legion, Alaitoc, ... Oh well. It's a cool special rule that changes the playstyle on both sides.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

I wonder how much more mileage they are going to get out of that -1 to hit at over 12", though! I used to think my raven Guard were special, but Alpha Legion, Alaitoc, ... Oh well. It's a cool special rule that changes the playstyle on both sides.

So for Alpha Legion, it is very notable that only the Daemon Princes, Hellbrutes, Bikers, and Infantry benefit from that -1 to hit at over 12" rule. So it's a neat rule, but it isn't quite as potent as it sounds. So, for example, Chaos Vindicators and Defilers aren't affected by it, despite being Alpha Legion models. 

5 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

Fire prisms have always been allowed to link.

They merely added command points to make you burn points to do what they've always done in the past

To avoid SMurfs complaining about spending CP to have demo and pred chain fire, while Spelfs get to for free. Wtf?! That's so unfair! Wraithknights, waaaaaaaaaa!!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JMGraham said:

Re: Fire Prisms - thank the gods! I love the models, and field them even though their one shot a turn is pretty lackluster. Two shots a turn when moving under half speed is going to be very welcome!

I love the idea of moving one fire prism possibly full out to get line of sight then using the link fire to allow remaining fire prisms to move at half and fire double all rerolling! Wow useful not something I want to pay points to have built in all the time but something worth a command point to do on the fly. 

@Romans this is the beauty of command points instead of having to points in niche abilities that will be really good when useful or worthless otherwise GW is able to give a really powerful niche ability that is tired more to force organization than straight army build points. Really hard to write this thought out but instead of having to pay points every game to hypothetically link fire you only pay command points in a game it is actually useful in. Love the mechanic!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

So for Alpha Legion, it is very notable that only the Daemon Princes, Hellbrutes, Bikers, and Infantry benefit from that -1 to hit at over 12" rule. So it's a neat rule, but it isn't quite as potent as it sounds. So, for example, Chaos Vindicators and Defilers aren't affected by it, despite being Alpha Legion models. 

The same is true for Raven Guard - only infantry and dreads. I suspect there will be similar restrictions regarding who has the rule for Eldar.

I wonder how Ynnari will interact with these? Can Eldar be from a craftworld and be Ynnari? Or will they lose the craftworld rules when they join the (space)elven god of the dead?

• Like 2

Copy pasted from Facebook.

“From the livestream tactics talk:

• Shining Spears are down 6 points.

• No Ynnari in the Craftworlds codex. Ynnari armies don’t benefit from Craftworlds attributes.

• Dire Avengers are now 12 points a model (same as Rangers).

• New power Quickening, essentially Warptime. Pick a friendly Craftworlds unit within 18″ pf the caster. It can move as if it were the movement phase.

• Sounds like Guardians are the same cost (they discussed points costs for troop unit, said 60 points for base Dire Avenger and Ranger squads, Guardians are closer to 80 points (which is what they are currently).

• Warlord trait on the Avatar allows it to target characters in the shooting phase even if they aren’t the closest unit.

• Biel-tan attribute affects all shuriken weapons in the army.

• Warlord trait for +2 movement.

• Webway strike stratagem allows between 1-3 Craftworld units to enter the battlefielf using normal deep strike rules.

• Skystrike stratagem allows a unit with Fly to appear on the battlefield

• Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.

• Warwalkers now have an outflank ability

• Swooping Hawk guns are now Assault 4 instead of Rapid Fire 2, still 24” range.

• Swooping Hawks have dropped 4 points per model.

• Craftworlds can field a brigade for “less than 1100 points now.”

• 3 Dark Reapers are now ~80 points. Still have 3+ to hit regardless of modifiers in the shooting phase.

• Relic: When this models dies, on a 2+ it causes D3 mortal wounds. If those wounds kill a model, the model with the relic remains on the table with a single wound remaining. Only relic the Avatar can take.

• Phoenix Lords don’t benefit or effect Craftworld attributes. Can be taken in any Craftowlrds army without messing up the detachment bonus.

• New warlord trait: Puritanical leader: All units within 6″ of the warlord auto pass morale.

• Striking Scorpions down in points (didn’t say how much).

• “I saw a really nice comment on Reddit, actually…” Looks like they do browse the sub!

• No big changes to Wraithknights.

• Everything in the book benefits from the Craftworlds attribute. Hemlock Wraithfights of Alaitoc now have -2 to hit.

• Nightspinners down in points.

• Iyanden Warlord trait: At the start of the turn, roll a dice. On a 6, gain a command point.

• Falcon Grav tanks down by 50 points.

• Heavy weapons cheaper now.

• Warlocks are 35 points.

• Jain Zarr, all Banshees always fight first within 6″ of her.

• No changes to Storm Guardians.

• Empower psychic power: +1 to wound rolls for a friendly unit.

• 6 Runes of Fate. Guide, Doom, Fortune, Mind War, 2 other they mentioned quickly.

• “Harlequins and Ynnari will be in a codex at some point.” Implied they’d both get their own codex.

• Eldrad down in points plus some new lore.

• Windriders are 18 points with shuriken catapults. 28 for shuriken cannons.

• Ynnari rules packaged in the Triumverate box are the same as the index Xenos 1 rules.

• 15 points for scatter lasers

• “Tyranids are a really, really interesting book! We’ll talk about it in a couple of weeks ;)”

Looks like that’s it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fluger said:

My dream Eldar army is an Alaitoc force of Rangers and Scorpions backed by war walkers.  Looks like that will be feasible.  

It's unfortunate that Alaitoc furthers the "don't bring ork shooting" of the current game with Conceal and Hemlock stacking. Still, I'm glad they're rocking a cool trait (if anyone should have the -1 it should be Alaitoc).

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

@Romans this is the beauty of command points instead of having to points in niche abilities that will be really good when useful or worthless otherwise GW is able to give a really powerful niche ability that is tired more to force organization than straight army build points. Really hard to write this thought out but instead of having to pay points every game to hypothetically link fire you only pay command points in a game it is actually useful in. Love the mechanic!

Thank you, I had no clue that's how things worked, thank you!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Thank you, I had no clue that's how things worked, thank you!

For battle forging (all stuff in detachments) you get 3 command points, then certain detachments add more. You want to make heavy use of command point abilities? Build your force with "tax units" included. Don't really care? Take more obviously powerful units.

In chaos the alpha legion used to just infiltrate, now they have a strategem for CP to infiltrate units. Good when needed but doesn't have to be considered in the units possible points value as a different resource is used and by infiltrating they are limiting their abilities to use other stratagems. For the mechanicus the canticles are kinda meh now cuz most of the best ones went stratagems with specific keyword requirements. 

8 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

For battle forging (all stuff in detachments) you get 3 command points, then certain detachments add more. You want to make heavy use of command point abilities? Build your force with "tax units" included. Don't really care? Take more obviously powerful units.

In chaos the alpha legion used to just infiltrate, now they have a strategem for CP to infiltrate units. Good when needed but doesn't have to be considered in the units possible points value as a different resource is used and by infiltrating they are limiting their abilities to use other stratagems. For the mechanicus the canticles are kinda meh now cuz most of the best ones went stratagems with specific keyword requirements. 

I have SO much to learn :(