Guardians of the Galaxy was....

andozane

OK, forgot to mention that I saw it on Friday night and loved it.  Glad I got there early to avoid the huge lines.  

I went in with NO knowledge of the GotG universe and came away loving it.  I'm glad they aimed at "SUPER FUN MOVIE" instead of "DARK AND GRITTY MOVIE".  Worked great.  Most of my actual favorite movies are full of plot holes and absurdity, but are so fun that it doesn't matter (Star Wars original 3, Indiana Jones trilogy, Princess Bride, Back to the Future...), but lots of comic book movies (and or just movies) that try to be "just fun" end up being awful (BATMAN AND ROBIN!!!!!!!!!!!), this did a great job of being snappy and funny and cool.  

• Like 3

My 14 year daughter did not like the movie. 

She thought Starlord was unlikeable.

She thought bad guy was bland and unimpressive.

She hoped for a bit more character development.

She wished there were more women characters.

She declared the spoiler clip at the end as stupid.

And then you grounded her. :)

Those are mostly valid critiques in my opinion.  But I still totally loved the movie.

I could agree with the desire for more character development (especially for Drax and Gamora) and more female characters, but I don't have a problem with the other three.

Actually, I even kind of agree with the first two, but it was in a way I didn't mind. Quill is supposed to be an unlikable jerk at the start to some extent, and Ronan is really just a motivation for the main plot, which is

this group of lonely "losers" learning to have friends and people they can rely on.

I saw it yesterday.  I *might* have not been in the right mood to see it, but...

Thought it would be an interesting movie for a six-year-old.  

I would agree with the daughters assessment.  The character development was horrid outside of Star Lord, the villain was paper thin, the final fight was ridiculous in it's ending, to a point where I had flashbacks to Iron Man 2.

It was thankfully slightly less predictable than some previous movies, although I think Captain America 2, even with it's amazing predictability was a much better movie.

I wasn't critical until the Avengers.  Before that they were really well thought out movies, with good engrossing stories.

I see them a) because I was into comics as a kid and I do enjoy seeing super heroes on screen and b) my girlfriend loves actions movies and wants to see them.

I've not been the biggest Marvel fan over the years, mostly because a lot of their lines sitting in the same world don't make sense (Avengers=loved, X-men=hated), but they're comics.  I thought GotG was going to be better, I mean, it is getting adored by people, but then again, so was Avatar.  Not to mention, the pure stinkers really were Thor 2 and GotG, in my opinion.  The rest have at least been fun to watch.

I don't see these movie because I'm expecting to see Citizen Kane, but because I want SUPER FUN COMICS #1 HERO TIME.

I was highly entertained.  The lack of character dev is mostly because each of these guys didn't get their own movies as a lead in.  Hawkeye and Black Widow didn't get much dev  in Avengers as its an ensomble film.

That being said, I don't really care.  I'm just happy to get movies targeted at me.

Still better than Superman, which entertained me as well. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I like the fun.

The lack of more character development is actually a plus to me.  So tired of the studio asssumption the audience isn't smart enough to figure the characters out.  Why spend endless time developing them?  The plus of this movie is it just jumps in and goes, and doesn't stop until the end of the credits...

• Like 5

Two hour run time, and you have to introduce 5 heroes, and 2 villains, with a third who only appeared at the end of one.  Not to mention, the others around it.  yes the villain didn't get much development, but Lee Pace still did a good job.  Nebula is out there for the future, somewhat set up by this one.  I think it wasn't too bad considering you have tow hours to do that, still tell a story, get the audience involved in it.  And you are doing this with a franchise, that other than hard core comic geeks, there is no familiarity. 

It was a lot of fun, and these days, movies need that more.  It took itself less serious, and even though this is a comic story going to big screen, it was still the most original movie I've seen in a while, and yes I'm biased cause I'm a marvel geek, working for the parent company, but still...

I get if you just don't like it. I don't like IM3. It should have been RD3. To me they turned iron man into a giant soda can that blew apart at every opportunity. Blech! That is not a super hero movie to me. GotG was a very fun SciFi flick. Just seems you are placing unrealistic expectations on a movie that never took itself seriously since the very first trailer was released.

• Like 1

There was a girl in the theatre who commented that "rocket" was too silly and that the character should have had more serious lines. I turned to her and commented that it would have been very difficult to make a talking racoon serious. This logic did ring true for her.