Here There Be Daemons

Got a couple games in last night, with mixed results :)

Against Brother G my plaguebearers managed to hold a warsphinx for a few turns and kill a bone giant, but in the end were wiped off of the board.  I should have kept my daemon prince out for some more combats, but instead ran him straight into the outhouse and then took a beating from his other units.

Next game was against Exile's Skaven.  Magic and shooting were very friendly to me (Aside from killing 13 pink horrors, that was no good), and treason of tzeentch made it really hard for him to deal with making leadership rolls.  Luckily I got his doomwheel off the board before it could hunt down my daemon prince!  In the end I managed to stop him from getting any units to his outhouse, the warpflame rule finishing off his last three gutter runners with a lucky burst.

Props to Pete, his doomflayer killed off a beast of nurgle in a single round of combat.  Nicely done!

• Like 1

I found my hexwraith models that I had planned on modeling at the 4 horsemen for a different project, I think that I'm going to keep the aesthetic but use them as a unit of 4 screamers.  

As for the burning chariot, I can either buy the model new, or kit-bash with what I have now.  I have a TON of bits from the hurricanum/luminark kit, so I think I will use that.  It will look pretty sweet flying through the air, piloted by pink horrors with a giant laser beam.

After a crazy week at work, including our 4th anniversary celebration, I have gotten almost no painting done this week (On the plus side, I still look damn good in a suit and tie).   Today I managed to get a few layers down on various horrors, but no real progress.  For tonight's game, I'm making a list that can play to the scenario, and move quickly to the tower.

Herald of Tzeencth - Level 2, Tzeentch

15 Pink Horrors - Standard, Musician

23 Plaguebearers - Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

3 Beast of Nurgle

Beast of Nurgle

5 Furies

5 Furies

Flaming Chariot

Ok, so it's as fast as I can do with the models that I have available.  The furies will make a b-line for the tower, come back on to the table, and head for the tower again.  The nurgle units will hopefully bog down enemy units, and the tzeentch units will blast open smaller, faster units with shooting and magic.

Look forward to seeing everyone tonight!

A few shots of the horror that I finished last week.  Now that I have the colors down, I'm getting better with the layering.  This one is a bit more saturated than the first.

photo3-3.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Also, I'm glad that people like the idea of the lord of change.  However, I'm likely to do a conversion for the model, so the mega-chicken might not be making an appearance.  I like the idea of him being represented by something less tangible; less based in reality; less solid.  

• Like 4

Tower scenario was very interesting this week.  I got in two games against Peanut's Wood Elves and Ben's Lizards.

The game with Peanut was freaking weird.  I kept rolling misfires to move the tower, so he sucked up a lot of my units on my turns.  I also happened to roll box-cars in two separate magic phases, bringing 2 new units of daemons onto the board.  His wild riders backed up by lore of life absolutely wrecked anything that they touched.  My tactic in both games was just to make a b-line for the tower, so fighting was minimal.

Against Ben it was a similar situation.  We would get onto the table, and move for the tower.  I had a lot of luck with shooting and magic, but coud never finish units off completely.  At the end he had two units of skinks which were just single models, and I never finished them off.  The weird thing in this game was that we both rolled like crap for our units to come back onto the table.  The board was a ghost town for many turns.

I am really loving the burning chariot and might have to get cheesy and bring a pair of them.

• Like 1

Here's a beastmen/daemon list which seems cheesy, yet beautiful.

Great Bray Shaman - Level 4, Beasts/Shadow/Death (undecided), Mark of Nurgle, Herdstone, Talisman of Endurance - 325

Doombull - Mark of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Flying Carpet, Great Weapon - 355

Wargor - Mark of Nurgle, BSB, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor, Shield, Warrior Bane - 146

Bray Shaman - level 1, Shadow Hagtree fetish (pick an enemy unit with 24", you may re-roll wounds against that unit in the magic phase) - 95

Herald of Tzeentch - Tzeentch - 90

10 Horrors - Musician, Standard - 150

10 Ungor Raiders - 60

Tuskgor Chariot - Mark of Nurgle - 90

28 Bestigors - Mark of Nurgle, Standard, Musician, Banner of Discipline - 425

Beast of Nurgle - 60

Flaming Chariot - 150

Flaming Chariot - 150

The bestigors and doombull do all of the combat in this list, while the horrors, herald, and shadow wizard hunker around the stone, picking units off the board one at a time.  The Flaming Chariots aren't OTT or anything, I just like them.  Besides, they bring a shooting element to the list.  This comes off as a bit too gimicky and cheesy for me to bring to friendly games, but it would be a fun bash-skulls tournament list.

You bring a flying 3++ doombull, I will bust out the fellblade. Heck, I should bust it out anyway.

I feel sorry for the less fortunate manthings who don't have the fellblade. It's a good time to be a rat.

In all seriousness, do the units of ten horrors work out for you? I know they're primarily there to do magic, but I feel that you need more than one big block to be able to survive a game.

I've never used the list, so who knows?  I don't think you need more than one block to be successful, especially with this kind of insane magical dominance.  Clearly it would be better against some armies than others, but will still be a challenge to do well against.  If you are handing out enough wounds with tzeentch magic, then one of those units might well be up to 25-30 horrors before anything reaches it.

And if you bring the fell blade, then I will be staying away from it with the bull.  No reason to go after that warlord.

Rudra34 gamer please. That ain't no cheese.

You want cheese?

Lvl-4 on beasts, fencing blades, jagged dagger

Doom bull of tzeentch on carpet

Wargor 206 + nurgle

3 lvl 2 shadow shaman, with scroll, chalice and stone

3 exalted flamer of tz

4 units of ten horrors with champ

4 x 5 raiders

3 x 2 beasts of nurgle

48 gors FC ahw

2 skull Cannon

I don't think Beast spam in small units is going to work well with Unstable.

Oh Mr V, I wouldn't get too attached to that FellBlade. Should GW ever actually get around to remaking the Skaven book that puppy will be gone sadly.

The Fell Blade and Weeping blades are THE signature magic weapons in the Skaven book. The Fell Blade was built to destroy Nagash; its simply central to the storyline of the Warhammer world. It will stay and still cost 100 points. 

Love the list Rudra, Id like to see the raiders marked nurgle, as I assume you are using the nurglings. Plus w/10 they'll be more of a nuisance to support troops in CC. I understand thats a lot of points tho. 

Im embracing the combination, obviously, as you will see a good mix of Slaanesh/Tzeench/Nurgle coming from my collection. 

Rudra34 gamer please. That ain't no cheese.

You want cheese?

Lvl-4 on beasts, fencing blades, jagged dagger

Doom bull of tzeentch on carpet

Wargor 206 + nurgle

3 lvl 2 shadow shaman, with scroll, chalice and stone

3 exalted flamer of tz

4 units of ten horrors with champ

4 x 5 raiders

3 x 2 beasts of nurgle

48 gors FC ahw

2 skull Cannon

Really?  I don't even own any of those books and can come up with: