Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

7 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Chernobyl should have given us a Russian Spiderman.

I mean, it probably did. It's just that terminal radiation poisoning is rarely so neat.

He can do whatever a spider can...but he can also vomit out his rapidly jellying organs. So it's a bit of a wash.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Munkie said:

I mean, it probably did. It's just that terminal radiation poisoning is rarely so neat.

He can do whatever a spider can...but he can also vomit out his rapidly jellying organs. So it's a bit of a wash.

4 hours ago, WestRider said:

As I have said before, radioactive blood would not, in fact, grant any particular ability to "swing". It would grant Leukemia or Lymphoma or something.

lol

I meant from Marvel, not IRL, obvi.....or not so obvi, it seems.

Was thoroughly going through GG's Malifaux selection to search for good 3e models.

Considering GG barely sells any of that game, they have a massive inventory. It can't all be seen due to limited space for a game that doesn't sell...but it's there, crammed into one tall, deep bookshelf.

And that group, Wyrd (makers of malifaux), they have no sense in marketing their boxes. Nothing is marketed in a way that makes it easy to shelve. The boxes lack names that describe the contents, they can't be sorted by faction because they lack consistent factions, and the markings on the boxes are only available on facings that make them hard to shelve. And they have so much D&D potential, but they market themselves in a way that makes them difficult for a D&D player to even understand that they'd be as awesome as they'd be.

For example, They have a really awesome Armored Skeleton with a Spear. But it's not labeled as such. Doesn't even say skeleton on the box. Instead, they call it an Ashigaru. Right there, they deny themselves sales. And it's part of their necromancer faction, but instead of a skull or at least something black for a faction logo, their faction logo is a green bird....how is a D&D player suppose to see the side of the box and realize that it's those armored skeletons he's looking for?

And then, on top of everything, Malifaux has a very low cap on how many of the same model kit we can field in a given army (crew). So they basically discourage the local stores from having a good inventory because their players won't keep buying kits. And it discourages me from buying lots of models.

It's like they just don't want money....

Rewatching the last story arc of Bleach (episodes 343-366)

This really is a good show, sad they canceled it.

That said, the entire story arc prior is filler episodes. This arc has a filler episode. On top of that 6 minutes of this 23min show is credits theme song and what happened last time. And they don't accomplish much per episode. They drag their feet in telling a good story. 

For those that don't watch anime, the filler episode is a worthless episode created because they are producing a new episode every week and need time to put quality into future episodes, so they create "filler." Filler episodes typically explore inconsequential side characters and feature adventures "forgotten" shortly after. And the reason they can't stop running episodes, just for a week or two, is that their network allocates a time slot for them on the stipulation that they have an episode every week. So it's 52 episodes per year. Makes for very long series (which I like).

Bleach has 366 episodes, 170 of which are filler episodes. So I get why they canceled this one.

Hope they re-do Bleach, someday, but without the filler episodes. Would be neat to see what the show would look like without filler.

If anyone is looking to get into this one, there are handy web sites to show which episodes are filler or not, like this one: https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Episodes

Very random Biology question:

If I were to have skin cancer, and I applied fire to the affected area, would the burned skin grow back with cancer? Like assuming I burned all the areas affected by cancer.

Can't seem to find this one online, but my google-fu is weak...Internet seems to think drugs and surgery are the only option. Fire appeals to me. Seems logical that Fire vs skin, the fire wins, but I'm unclear if the skin regrows with fresh cancer...

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Very random Biology question:

If I were to have skin cancer, and I applied fire to the affected area, would the burned skin grow back with cancer? Like assuming I burned all the areas affected by cancer.

Can't seem to find this one online, but my google-fu is weak...Internet seems to think drugs and surgery are the only option. Fire appeals to me. Seems logical that Fire vs skin, the fire wins, but I'm unclear if the skin regrows with fresh cancer...

Fire is, in this case, essentially a very extreme and poorly controlled example of surgery. It could theoretically work, but it's often difficult to tell exactly where the cancer is without traditional surgery, so you're more likely both to hurt more of the parts of yourself that are not cancerous, and to miss some of the cancer. If you don't get it all, the odds are good that it will recur at some point.

• Like 1

Just now, WestRider said:

Fire is, in this case, essentially a very extreme and poorly controlled example of surgery. It could theoretically work, but it's often difficult to tell exactly where the cancer is without traditional surgery, so you're more likely both to hurt more of the parts of yourself that are not cancerous, and to miss some of the cancer. If you don't get it all, the odds are good that it will recur at some point.

That's what I thought, but given the lack of cancer "home solutions that work" on the internet, I was wondering if it was more complicated (cancer is complex, but asking if it can be burnt off is a simple question).

Internet says all sorts of things solve all sorts of other things, but using actual fire to cure cancer doesn't seem to even be attempted, so I was wondering if I was missing something. Thanks.

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Got hardware removed from my left leg today. I'm not in too much pain, considering I have 4 or 5 open holes running through my bone, open to the outside. Only taking percs, too. I know tomorrow us going to be hell.

But it amuses me to no end, the temperature fluctuations I'm feeling in my foot and leg.

You okay?

Everything was good last night. Learning to navigate the house in the wheelchair. A lot less painful than crutches at the moment. 

I spiral fractured my left leg in a few places in 2005. One of 3 broken legs that morning due to freezing rain. I asked my pcp recently about getting PT to help with the chronic pain, as I've refused to take pills for it. He sent me to the orthopedic surgeon, who said pulling the screws should help make the pain more manageable over the year. Most days it's a 2-5, through out the day. Pressure changes, and it's a 4-6. A few times a year it hits 8+ incapacitating pain levels. 

• Sad 2

Is there any difference between close minded and narrow minded?

Finally noticed that I've been using them interchangeablely.....but I'm not certain they mean the same thing.

6 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Is there any difference between close minded and narrow minded?

Finally noticed that I've been using them interchangeablely.....but I'm not certain they mean the same thing.

I can see the potential for a distinction between them, but as far as I've ever seen them used, they're more or less synonymous, yeah.

• Thanks 1