Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

The Daily Service is a short fifteen-minute religious broadcast on BBC radio, which airs every weekday at 9:45 AM GMT. 

It first broadcast on January 2, 1928 and has never failed to make its daily broadcast, including the entirety of WWII.

As of yesterday, that’s 23,940 broadcasts... and counting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does the BBC, of all places, insist on calling him "Lord McAlpine"? I'd expect American media to get it wrong, but not the Beeb.

He's The Right Honourable The Lord McAlpine of West Green and should be referred to as such... or at least as "Lord McAlpine of West Green." Calling him just "Lord McAlpine" risks the viewers confusing him with Baron McAlpine of Moffat, a completely different person. (They're cousins.)

Yes, this is the sort of [big bad swear word] that bugs me. Yes, I am aware it's weird.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ish said:

Why does the BBC, of all places, insist on calling him "Lord McAlpine"? I'd expect American media to get it wrong, but not the Beeb.

He's The Right Honourable The Lord McAlpine of West Green and should be referred to as such... or at least as "Lord McAlpine of West Green." Calling him just "Lord McAlpine" risks the viewers confusing him with Baron McAlpine of Moffat, a completely different person. (They're cousins.)

Yes, this is the sort of [big bad swear word] that bugs me. Yes, I am aware it's weird.

I mean, Edwin is dead. So there is that.

• Haha 1

If Superman (or any other nigh invulnerable superhero of your choice) visits a construction site where hard hats, high visibility vests, and eye/ear protection is required... Does he have to wear it?

Okay, so I can see the safety inspectors overlooking it if he’s just there involuntarily because Gorilla Grodd or Bizarro threw him into the construction site... But what if he’s just visiting? Like, as part of a goodwill tour of some new hospital that being built or whatever...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ish said:

If Superman (or any other nigh invulnerable superhero of your choice) visits a construction site where hard hats, high visibility vests, and eye/ear protection is required... Does he have to wear it?

Okay, so I can see the safety inspectors overlooking it if he’s just there involuntarily because Gorilla Grodd or Bizarro threw him into the construction site... But what if he’s just visiting? Like, as part of a goodwill tour of some new hospital that being built or whatever...

Depends if he's in disguise or not.

I do wonder if the inspectors would check his work.

There would probably be exceptions in the laws if there were actually people with those sorts of capabilities. I feel like the hi-vis stuff should still be required, in part because of the potential for multi-person accidents where hitting an immovable object (i.e. Superman) unexpectedly could cause others to be injured, and in part because I think he'd look hilarious with one of those orange vests on over his super suit.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, WestRider said:

There would probably be exceptions in the laws if there were actually people with those sorts of capabilities. I feel like the hi-vis stuff should still be required, in part because of the potential for multi-person accidents where hitting an immovable object (i.e. Superman) unexpectedly could cause others to be injured, and in part because I think he'd look hilarious with one of those orange vests on over his super suit.

Doubt they'd make exceptions. The point of the safety code is more about insurance than actual safety. Both insurance against medical lawsuits and insurance for the completed project. You'd need quality control, and that won't really happen if exceptions are constantly made for individuals.

On the social end, I'd imagine a rather disastrous witch hunt if superheroes were using their powers openly for gainful employment in common jobs. Part of superman working hinges on him making money as a disguised reporter, rather than as a superhero welder. If superman were publicly putting people out of work, he'd be a threat. Would be different if everyone had a degree of super power.

It's still fine for emergency welding. But after the emergency, they'd have to grind out his welds and make new welds according to code. Even if they were good welds, it's about being able to say the building was built to code.

That said, Clark Kent being a welder would be a really practical disguise and his powers of X-ray vision and Heat resistance would give him a real advantage while correctly welding to code with actual welding tools. And becoming a welder after being a farmer would make for a less notable backstory than becoming a journalist. And Welders are in demand in every state and country, and can get work on a day to day basis rather than needing to commit to a salary position - which is great if you have a secret identity as a superhero.

Random thought

If you had a smaller scale house, would children growing up there also grow in proportion to the size of the home?

Like, do people grow to fit the scale of their surroundings?

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Doubt they'd make exceptions. The point of the safety code is more about insurance than actual safety. Both insurance against medical lawsuits and insurance for the completed project. You'd need quality control, and that won't really happen if exceptions are constantly made for individuals.

On the social end, I'd imagine a rather disastrous witch hunt if superheroes were using their powers openly for gainful employment in common jobs. Part of superman working hinges on him making money as a disguised reporter, rather than as a superhero welder. If superman were publicly putting people out of work, he'd be a threat. Would be different if everyone had a degree of super power.

It's still fine for emergency welding. But after the emergency, they'd have to grind out his welds and make new welds according to code. Even if they were good welds, it's about being able to say the building was built to code.

That said, Clark Kent being a welder would be a really practical disguise and his powers of X-ray vision and Heat resistance would give him a real advantage while correctly welding to code with actual welding tools. And becoming a welder after being a farmer would make for a less notable backstory than becoming a journalist. And Welders are in demand in every state and country, and can get work on a day to day basis rather than needing to commit to a salary position - which is great if you have a secret identity as a superhero.

If a significant segment of the population had powers, I think they would start getting taken into account by the laws. That said, for PPE, it might actually be for the best to require it for everyone regardless of need, just so peer pressure is working on the side of safety.

The reporter gig gives him a cover for going just about anywhere, tho, and while it may be a long-term commitment in the big picture, in the short term, there isn't a requirement for him to be at his desk 9-5 M-F. A welder who gets a reputation for leaving the job at random times and without notice is pretty quickly going to pick up a bad reputation among potential employers.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Random thought

If you had a smaller scale house, would children growing up there also grow in proportion to the size of the home?

Like, do people grow to fit the scale of their surroundings?

Not unless taken to an extreme. The major factors are partially genetic, and partially derived from childhood nutrition. Now, if you're talking something small enough that the child is actually somehow being physically compressed by the dwelling, yeah, that would stunt growth, but not evenly or proportionately.

• Like 1