Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

And amazingly, it wasn't a Matt Wardex. 

I checked.

I think that Gav Thorpe is the one to bear the blame here. Not for the later retcon, but for the first one that took away their teleportation capacity. The later reversion was just someone with more sense looking at it and going "That's idiotic. Let them teleport." And from there it went all We Have Always Been at War with Eastasia.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any female super heroes that are like the Tick? You know, very stupid, honest to a fault, crazy strong and nigh invulnerable.

Seems those versions of female heroes don't make it to Marvel films or to DC. Do they just not exist?

On 9/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, Romans832 said:

They have laws against jaywalking?
Then why do pedestrians do it ALL the time in Portland?

It's so bad that I get funny looks from drivers and fellow pedestrians when I wait at the crosswalk for it to say walk before walking across the intersection.

But yes, we have laws against jaywalking. Just like we have laws about keeping your dog on a leash, no riding bicycles with your hands not on the handle bars, and no using marijuana in public places.

They just don't enforce any of it...And new people keep coming, and this is the example we give them on how the laws are supposed to be followed (or not followed).

On 9/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Of course Portland is like the only municipality in the state that has laws against Jaywalking.  I mean, it's pretty much the only place that bans public nudity (outside of protesting), too.

Found a good one for laws regarding Oregon nudity:

https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2015/06/public_nudity_in_oregon.html

2 hours ago, jesselowe said:

I'm a librarian. Answering questions is so engrained it's nearly instinctual.

I've been thinking it's a compulsion. I find myself trying to answer questions I know that I lack the true answer for, but because a question is asked I MUST answer, for some reason. Weird to become aware of it and not be able to stop.

Is instinctual the same as compulsion (in this case)?

12 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I've been thinking it's a compulsion. I find myself trying to answer questions I know that I lack the true answer for, but because a question is asked I MUST answer, for some reason. Weird to become aware of it and not be able to stop.

Is instinctual the same as compulsion (in this case)?

"I don't know," is always a valid answer. It's better than giving the wrong answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jesselowe said:

"I don't know," is always a valid answer. It's better than giving the wrong answer.

Still answering the question there.

And using the phrase, "I don't know," implies a certainty about my lack of knowledge which may or may not be true.

But why do I feel compelled to answer the question in the first place? 

So I like the idea of getting more "body types" on TV. As in, not all physically fit actors.

But thinking about it more, since they tend to require actors to maintain a consistent appearance, there's a certain degree of immorality (or maybe unethicality) of requiring an unusually (for TV) overweight or underweight actor to maintain their over or under weight appearance. I mean, since being overweight or underweight is supposed to be unheathly, requiring an actor to stay unhealthy for a role seems kinda immoral.

I guess that's one more reason I enjoy cartoons...dunno, random thought.

Watching a TV show pilot (Emergence) where the Chief of Police reminds me of Chief Wiggins from the Simpsons (except the female chief of police is mentally+socially competent in this show, while Wiggins is none of the above). The Female protagonist does no running in the pilot, drives everywhere, and all we see her eating is skittles (probably not the best product placement). Good character otherwise.

Had an idea for an App:

The Hangry Solution.

Hangry, or Hungry Angry, is a state where people are very irritable due to being hungry.

The Hangry Solution App's function is to send real food to people that you encounter online whom you think are Hangry.

Functions like a charity, except the premise is that you are passive aggressively saying that they are an a-hole while patting yourself on the back for being such a charitable person.

(Joke product idea)