Anyone else getting outpaced by 40K?

So I'm not a huge 40K player. I typically get in around a dozen games a year. That said, I do happen to own 6-7 armies/allies for the game. I have quite a bit invested into it. However, I am feeling very left behind. I have a hard bound eldar book at home....and now there is already a new one. I haven't finished building the models I bought for that book yet. Granted, again, I'm a very casual 40K player...but I do recall a time when I could pretty much bust out an army and head down to gamenight if I so desired. Now though, I'm not sure I'd have a clue as to what was going on. Heck with keeping up with the meta, I'm starting to wonder how to keep up with an army.

Are the days of owning multiple armies gone? Has the pace of 40K accelerated so much that I should just concentrate on a select few? Or maybe I'm just getting old. :)

• Like 1

I've definitely had a hard time keeping up with current armies and tournament builds since 6th edition. I don't really play in tournaments anymore and only get in maybe 10-12 games a year. The release speed really makes competitive 40k unappealing as it's just too hard to keep up with... I'll stick to MTG for my competitive itch for now.

• Like 1

This is what I am running into as a returning 40k player. Hell, I am collecting Space Marines and I have been told that a new codex is coming out this summer.

But someone at WOW pointed out to me that I should just worry about putting together an army first and worry about the rules later. Fortunately there are multiple army building apps out there which have shown me what I need to collect first.

I sold off all of my codex's and only have one copy of the softback core rulebook. I figure since GW is coming out with constant updates the only thing you can hope to keep up with is the models, at least those won't (typically) go obsolete overnight. I figured I will get the army updates though Battlescribe and digital copies.

Also since I don't have endless time and money, I just have one main army that I am trying to build up and add allies too.

In the new world, you just have to accept that you'll never know all your opponents rules. Taking time to explain things to your opponent, and more freely asking questions and wanting to see documentation, must become the accepted table manners

• Like 4

I forgot about competitive lists years ago! I purely build armies for fun and looks. I think the newer unbound rulesets complement this to an extent however i know i will never have any truly top tier competition lists (Not that i would want them). Keep building your armies for fun and looks rather than worrying about army lists and rule sets. :) I know I have made a lot more friends gaming that way than worrying about competitiveness. 

• Like 1

I've definitely had a hard time keeping up with current armies and tournament builds since 6th edition. I don't really play in tournaments anymore and only get in maybe 10-12 games a year. The release speed really makes competitive 40k unappealing as it's just too hard to keep up with...

this, I've moved my competitive nature to another game as well 

Hello there,

Returning player from 3rd edition, where I played in competitive tournaments and such.  Now I'm easily defined as "casual," having played 5 games since 6th edition dropped.

I have 8 armies and they're all probably 3000 points plus, so my situation is very much like yours.  I like the strategic approach that others have talked about:  I just build an army, get figures that I think look neat and make a theme for my forces.  I reckon if I choose to play, I'll need a rulebook and whatever the newest codex is and I'll go from there.

It is disappointing that the codices are being replaced so quickly, but... and more wise posters can verify this... I'm pretty sure that most folks appreciate that more than the "this army hasn't had a new codex since 5th edition" or something like that.

It's YOUR hobby, make it what you will.  If you wanna build an army over 3 years and eventually play it once you get the newest codex, rock it.  Plus, if it's your hobby approach it from a "how it this pleasing to me / giving me fun?" and you can't go wrong.

Stay safe,

don

I've noticed the pace increase too. Not as much a power creep issue, but one of constantly changing meta. Rules are being produced faster than players can learn even the basic rules. And the online community is imposing alternate rules for a game that isn't fully understood. I struggle to fit the army I want to play into the army I need to bring.

Sometimes I feel that way. I mean, I bought the Imperial Knight codex when it first came out, and then got the A4 sized version at Christmas. Now I'm going to go pick up my 7th edition Imperial Knight codex this week. Holy cow! That on top of the seemingly back-to-back Mechanicus releases. 

Luckily I feel pretty set with only the Skitarii book. But with all of these rapid fire releases, I never know what I want to be working on.

Too much awesome stuff. Hell of a problem to have.

I've not ever played competatively (been in one 40K tournament my whole life). The game isn't really designed for a tournament scene and GW is actually backing up its claim now that it doesn't cater to that type of game. They are about the collector and the casual gamer. The huge increase in models/rules suits me just fine. They are cool models, and why the heck do you need to keep up with what is being produced? Just buy what you can afford and have fun with what you own. If you are only playing once a month, don't worry about the win, just have fun with it. I love all the new models. I was pretty concerned about the new D weapons the Eldar are sporting, but as a friend of mine recently said, the game is self balancing with regards to play. If you come across someone in a meta who hammers everyone, he wont get folks to play him. A recent phone call to GW about the use of FW products in 40K resulted in customer service telling us that there is no longer any separation between FW products and standard plastic relase models. All is fair game. 

The game hasn't ever been balanced guys. But now we are getting TONS of new cool toys to play with, and really, who cares if you are keeping up with Mr. Jones? My Ork infantry horde works just as well now as it ever has. (Which is to say they need to fire me as their warlord and find one who can lead them better!)

If you want balanced and competative play Warmachine, that game is fine tuned for tournaments. Play 40K for the spectacle.

• Like 1

I like it. The quality is high, the models are beautiful, the art is gorgeous, the game is expanding in interesting directions, the new codexes are quite well done, and armies are differentiable. I can't help but think we're living in a golden age of 40k; I'm glad I came back when I did ;-)

• Like 5

If I were to have any beef, it's that I just feel that for a company that has essentially ditched armies that it finds are not selling, they are going risky with new armies that might not sell.  However, now that they have the new unbound thing, and are seemingly pushing for larger and larger games, whatever.

I haven't played in a long time, but most of that is due to circumstance.  I figure I can get some games in soon.  In fact, I'm slated for one this saturday...

I've seen the recent GW movement of 'MOAR OF EVERYTHING!' in unbound armies, etc. as the natural evolution of their sales model.  Over time/editions many (most?) of their armies have steadily dropped in per-model cost for many units which means more units/purchases per army/game/points-level.  Even with adding a new unit or two each re-released codex though, people are eventually going to have a reasonably complete army for their preferred faction and, barring a need to always have the newest version of a given unit's models, their customers stop having a reason to buy their product.  

But wait, ALLIES!  Now you're not cheating on your long term army of choice, you've just got a little side action with those friendly Imperial Guard minis that would normally be backup dancers with those Marines you're always pushing across the plywood.  Well that is only going to go so far unless you're of the rare breed that can afford to regularly build entire new armies (and if so enjoy basking in the collective jealousy of so many others who can't do the same, sleep well knowing GW loves you) before you've fleshed out that allied contingent.  Maybe you rinse/repeat with a few more allies and lose track of your spending, suddenly you've got a little add-on detachment of super-friends of damn near every flavor that you can justify for your armies.  At this point you've either stopped buying models or are only picking up a new codex and maybe a box or two per update, not good for GW's bottom line.  So... *POOF* AdMech (this time), start the crack cycle all over again with a new army/ally that happens to chest-bump with pretty much everything but a couple xenos factions.

My point is, it is entirely in GW's interest for them to constantly provide ever-more-tempting options to field combinations or numbers of models/purchases that would otherwise make no sense to collect and own.  

A 3/4-Land Raider formation, that is $222-297!  But if they get It Will Not Die or some other seriously impressive rule (*Arbitrarily throwing that out there as an example, no clue if that is a legit formation) it suddenly might be appealing.

A 3-Knight High-Five-Of-Doom Dance Party? Sure, $471 sounds just fine if they come with a Strength-D Pelvic Thrust with 60" range and a super-pie-plate (that formation is real, Bosco's Lance Formation. Booyah!), who needs to pay for rent?

They can't expect us to buy everything, but they're getting increasingly transparent about wanting us to buy more of something and pushing every option available to make it easier to do so for a given army.  A sales strategy like that combined with having divorced themselves from the tournament scene (thx for managing that, Community!) means they don't care if we're overwhelmed with options, if anything it helps their interests to have so many little choices available.

• Like 1

Or maybe they make stuff because people want it? I know Ad Mech was selling well on FW. So it would only stand to reason that is they are selling so well at the premium market, then it might sell well as a "normal" faction. And they were right. 

I mean, I am seriously confused by the GW fan community (I'm coming over from the Warmachine side of the hobby). Because so many seem to add a nefarious twist to "give the customer what they want". 

Will it have a positive outcome on their bottom line? Maybe. But then again, they are running a business; not a charity.

• Like 1

I have always tried to go for a style/ themed army. So when I did Eldar, it was basically bikes, spiders,spears, vypers.

I rarely ran vehicles with my tau, maybe played a devil fish once.

I sold most of my stuff, and when I got back, I started with SW, and have tried to make my force fluffy, so death wolves etc. the painting guide had lots of fluff to read.

I always wanted ad mech, so now I am focusing on that. I will do with them what I did with old tau, and focus on trying to run them with fluff type tactics, instead of what is powerful. This makes the game so much more fun, and requires me to fight more tactically.

I like foot slogging, or mech infantry, but to,run them that way, using other vehicles to support them. I guess it must be from when I studied US army FM 7-7

I like playing a fluff army, after reading a few 40k books, I like my force to operate like the stories, might not be competitive, but sure is fun. If I play against a cheese list, that is ok, I like the challenge.

I think it's a trust issue. GW has always had a tendency towards rock-paper-scissors game matchups. Fine when you play lots of games; when you're older with more limited game time, it's a situation you emphatically don't want to be caught in. So when you can't keep up with what your opponent might field, and lose your ability to judge whether you are facing a bad matchup, it causes some low grade antipathy/anxiety. I think that's what we're seeing here.'

GW targets the "I'll get you tomorrow, buddy, when I get a new unit tailored to beat yours!" mentality. Doesn't work for those of us who game maybe once a month due to kids, careers, etc.

• Like 5