OFCC 2016 40k Questions

Mr.MoreTanks

OFCC 40k 2016 Team Event Questoins  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be open to the idea of 2 vs 2 matches?

• Yes - with some limits to points, allies, and detachments
    • Yes - with 2000 points and no limits on detachments or unbound
    • No - I like the traditional 1 vs 1
  2. 2. Would you be open to the idea of a new pairing system?

• Yes - but only if it becomes a 2 vs 2 event
    • Yes - sandbagging is getting out of control
    • No - trust the captains to make the matches
  3. 3. Would you like to see players rated as well as lists (scale or 1-3 based on skill)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes - but only by captains for rating players
    • No - it shouldn't be taken into account for OFCC

I don't really understand the last question. Could you clarify? Are you talking about rating players skills?

I'm more of a fan of the idea of making sure the list isn't to over-the-top for the OFCC (pass-fail) and then letting the captains sort out what would be the most fun matchups.

Yeah I mean by rating them on their skills.  A level 3 player with a 3 list is very different from a level 1 player with a 3 list.  I think that should be noted in pairings and list approvals. 

I took it as meaning player skill.  

I think people who come to OFCC but are proven Grand Tournament winners (MrMoreTanks, AbusePuppy, Mikhail Lenin, etc) would be rated a 3, and people with very little experience would be a 1.  

We can all agree that a list rated a 3 in the hands of a poor general is not the same as one in the hands of a good one and vice versa.  

I always make a point of this when discussing matchups.  

• Like 3

I took it as meaning player skill.  

I think people who come to OFCC but are proven Grand Tournament winners (MrMoreTanks, AbusePuppy, Mikhail Lenin, etc) would be rated a 3, and people with very little experience would be a 1.  

We can all agree that a list rated a 3 in the hands of a poor general is not the same as one in the hands of a good one and vice versa.  

I always make a point of this when discussing matchups.  

Most people do too I think, but I'd like to see it formalized. 

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I like the idea of a single 2v2 match but much more would be tiring and would potential have some bad conflicts of team mates micromanaging each other.

I voted yes but again my yes is for one of the 5 games. I totally disagree with having all 5 games be 2v2

• Like 2

I voted  - pretty much along with some of the other dissenters.  But I have no plans on being in the team event next time around.  But really this sounds cool - (not one I would play in) - and possibly could be something on friday - or even as a choice for the weekend (IE… warhammer fantasy(or replacement?), team 40k, pairs 40k?, infinity… etc. etc.).  And just divide up the gamers as to what they want to play - and in which style.  Although, I don't see that "feeling like" the OFCC - just different I guess.

-d

Yeah I mean by rating them on their skills.  A level 3 player with a 3 list is very different from a level 1 player with a 3 list.  I think that should be noted in pairings and list approvals. 

I am in agreement here.  My own team, as an example, has one SUUUUPER casual player ( I'm really not sure there's enough U's in existence to describe that), one skilled but unpracticed player and two that have won more than three dozen Best General or Best Overall awards each.  

Now this has had basically ZERO impact on the armies we bring.  We bring a theme every year and we put rules on ourselves for what we can bring or have to bring and then we all do it.  But I can say with certainty that the list match ups we thought would be so "great" didn't always end up that way.  

In some cases, our casual guy got demolished despite our best efforts because their best players list looked like a better match up to the opposing Captain.  We generally caved on all arguments really, because meh, whatevs right?   Its OFCC.  So there's that.

What looked good to one captain was only because he didn't know who the player was,  and an indicator of that might have helped them say "oh.  So maybe you're NOT just trying to get out of a bad match up"  which is I think what goes through certain Captains heads.  If he knows who the super casual  and unpracticed player was?  Makes it an easier conversation to have anyways.

I really do think the Captains have a very good idea of who their players are.  Zhen I think suggested a .5 modifier on lists for Generals who felt they were maybe more battle hardened.  I see no fault in his logic.  a Cap of 10 with a .5 modifier would make our team cap a 9 for example on list str for all four.  We could make our weak players up their lists and we can bite the bullet on the other end.  That kinda thing.

I don't personally care for the general rating thing.  Easy to game, completely objective and doesn't really have any bearing on the purpose of the list rating (imo).  You can be a crap general but a super friend invistar or 5 knight army is still gonna make for a meh game for many OFCC attendees.  And you can be a crap general, bringing a dickish list and still be an absolute TFG to play against.