Jim's Terrain Project Log

JMGraham

Pretty good odds, Eli - I reckon everything I make I put up for sale at some point!

I've got such a thing for modular terrain, it's a little bit embarrassing at times. The piece here consists of an area terrain base, some columns, and some scatter terrain Got a bit overzealous in filling the pools - next time, I wont add so much.

5nUPozp.jpg
UpdtRYK.jpg

The columns can be slotted into the square recesses.

1gzHWxq.jpg

You can also add some of the fallen columns and other scatter to provide more cover and rough ground.

s6w6ylT.jpg

If it gets in the way when you're trying to move troops on, you can remove part of it, and replace the columns with the flat inserts.

K9aDap0.jpg

Or remove it all to flatten it out.

cAFZXWW.jpg

Here's what the area base looked like before it was filled. Those pools could just as easily be left unfilled., or partially filled.

ayQzRoK.jpg
  • Like 5

Thanks! The pool part was totally the result of an ongoing painting challenge I'm part of on another board. The theme this month was to do something water based. I was working on ruins, and had to come up with a water thing for it. As a result, I'm going to continue the theme throughout the rest of the terrain by including recessed parts that could be filled with water, or left unfilled if you didn't want water. Actually, I'd love to see some filled with blood, as well.

That painting challenge has been really good for me, getting me to go in directions I hadn't anticipated. My first Necron wreck markers, and as a result, my whole first kickstarter, came out of a battle damage challenge. It's cool to have excuses to do things you wouldn't normally do!

3d printing of the dwarven ruins continues. I think I just have one piece left to print before I start cleaning them, molding them, casting them in plaster, weathering them, molding them, and resin casting them. My workflow takes a really long time, but I've been really happy with the results of working with plaster masters. The stuff just carves so easily!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made some more stuff!

EKndKWd.jpg

Here’s the arch in it’s full glory:

SBBSdr8.jpg

And again with a Warp Spider for scale – the thing is huge!

hGNWxKr.jpg

Like most of my stuff, the arch is designed to be removed in case it gets in the way on the gaming table.

50mXzOq.jpg

Here are the pieces for it, unassembled. Everything fits together nicely, and a bit of super glue or epoxy putty goes a long way to creating a solid piece. I designed the pieces to make up a fully 3d piece, while still allowing the pieces to be cast in open-faced  molds.

rlPKWsc.jpg

I’ve really been enjoying my 3D printer. I have a little M3D I got from a Kickstarter, and now that I’m familiar with it, it prints like a champ. Once I make a print, I prime and sand the print to get it nice and smooth. Than I mold it and cast it in plaster. I carve up the plaster, and then make another mold and cast it in resin. Here are some in progress pictures showing the progression:

L2lBeNR.jpg

Here are some modular wall pieces I made up that I’ll be using to make a variety of ruined walls and buildings. Seems like every battlefield is full of corners of buildings, and I don’t see why mine should be any different!

PmwuPZO.jpg

I also used the new style of columns as trade-ins for the doric (ionic?) columns I had done before. Here they are on their own:

d8vHHq5.jpg

And plugged into the ruins base I had shown previously:

WP0onKA.jpg

Finally, I also painted a little tiny 15mm Captain America to use as a leader for my Flames of War army (I mostly play US Armored Infantry). The idea of Cpt. Rogers leading my tiny mans  to war against the Red Skull fills me with glee. Hopefully it’ll piss off some purist grognards in the process. The set he came in was by Old Glory, and also contained Thundarr the Barbarian and friends. I’ll have less justification working them into a WWII army, but assaulting Nazis and Russian with Ookla is a justification in and of itself. 

4ex8LNV.jpg
FUPX7Yk.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
Here is the terrain I’ve been working on for Worldsmith Industries. Some ruined walls, a plinth to be used for statues, and a modular rubble “wall” to be used as an obstacle. Warp Spider is for scale.

07A0ODY.jpg

cq8W934.jpg

BpqUDEM.jpg

NLh60yX.jpg

W6hSvWc.jpg

QWRd3Sm.jpg

FeiI6qU.jpg

vQQdbnb.jpg

rTQaF7N.jpg

I’ve also been playing around with cast resin hills. Here’s my latest iteration. It’s not as tall as I’d like (only up to 1.25 or so inches at the highest point), but I used a 1:3 slope in most places, so models can stand just about anywhere without tipping:

DSoNcxT.jpg

PN6aLON.jpg

n9NJ5v6.jpg

Next up I'm working on multi-story ruins and some bigger pieces.

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Can you do Inifinity pieces?

I have some sci-fi crates that I grouped together but never did the final casting. Looking at them now they're rather dated from what I could do now. I'll probably come back to it at some point, but have a few more pieces I want to do in the "Dwarven Ruins" style first. If I can ever come up with a process (or manufacturer) for casting the larger pieces in an affordable and expeditious manner, I definitely have some Infinity terrain ideas.

The hill is too much of a pain to cast for commercial sale at this point. I slush cast a layer of resin for the detail, and then spackle the inside with resin mixed with plaster. Economical in terms of materials, but takes a good chunk of time for each cast. If the big stuff like hills is going to work, I need to find another way of casting, or farm the casting out. I've got a couple of different manufacturers bookmarked, but don't want to start getting quotes until I have a better collection of pieces to price out. It's on my "sometime in the next year" radar, though!

Ultimately, I'd like to have some tall and unwieldy bluffs for true LoS games, and some gentle sloping hills like this for manageable play. The current iteration of the hill is great, but a bit small - designing pieces to fit within the confines of my standard shipping method is a challenge! The maximum area restricts the height of I try and stick with either abrupt or 1:3 slopes.