Jim's Terrain Project Log

JMGraham

Mr. Graham,

Admittedly I do not know what the underside of the column pieces look like, but if they happen to have a recess or opening that can accommodate those cap pieces, you're well on your way towards making two-tiered terrain columns.

Looks great I think!

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I’ve been working on finishing up some of my ruins terrain, which will hopefully be ready to Kickstart by the end of the month. In addition to some of the stuff I’ve posted previously, here’s what I’ve got for now:

I made bases for my ruined walls, so they can slot in and out easily. There’s not the flexibility that there was in my area terrain bases (each wall only fits one place here), but you can at least move pieces when they get in the way of models or gaming.

u2f5NxQ.jpg

RmEoM8q.jpg

And the same for the 2-story ruin:

7CM472O.jpg

nzLkSG4.jpg

gJ1p3Xg.jpg

This is just a little ruined fountain I made as an excuse to make more water features. You could fill it with rubble or but a statue plinth in the middle before you paint and add water effects.

Q3tVsDw.jpg

This is something new I’ve been playing around with. I wanted a way to get hills or other line of sight blocking pieces while keeping the casting process the same as how I do it now (open face molds, no slush casting or the like).  This is about an 8” by 8” by 2.5” square, where the floor drops in instead of casting it in one solid piece. The idea is that you could add different things on top. A plinth and some broken columns (or one of my arches) to make it an altar of sorts. Some ruined walls to make it like part of a larger ruined structure. Or one of the two story ruins to make it a big LoS blocking piece. Etc.

XLw8jZ3.jpg

ihCS9tg.jpg

yfkw26V.jpg

I have plans to do some smaller pieces of scatter terrain, as well. Besides that (and including the things that I previously posted), is there anything missing? Anything else that is needed to complete the set? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Like 5

With the line of sight blocker top. I think it might be handy to recess some of those blocks and maybe allow for your ruin walls to sit down in them. Make stacking a little more sturdy and add flexibility to wall deployment...

Say more. What are you thinking? Which blocks? The floor of the "hill"?

• Like 1

I figure reusing parts in different ways is the best way to keep it efficient while increasing diversity and you are welcome.

Edit: not knowing any of the complications with your system but could you lay something over the mold while the resin is curing and actually cast holes in the floor? Like the cut out is part of the mold negative space and you set thin plastic card or something on it. Would the resin lock on to it with out it being sunk in?

• Like 1

I figure reusing parts in different ways is the best way to keep it efficient while increasing diversity and you are welcome.

Edit: not knowing any of the complications with your system but could you lay something over the mold while the resin is curing and actually cast holes in the floor? Like the cut out is part of the mold negative space and you set thin plastic card or something on it. Would the resin lock on to it with out it being sunk in?

I can definitely cast holes, provided they aren't angled in a way that would make it impossible to mold. No need to lay something over the mold while curing.

Jim, where can I buy your terrain?

My webstore is here: http://worldsmithindustries.com/ Stock levels are pretty low right now, as I only sell what I have currently cast. I'll likely be doing some more casting in the next couple weeks. Of course, you can also just let me know what you want and pick it up from me on a Tuesday night at DTG, to save on shipping.

Thanks for the kind words!

So, my team for the OFCC, the Devlan Studs, have been playing around with ideas for gifts to give our opponents. We have a fair amount of Dark Eldar / Corsairs / Eldar on our team, so we decided to go with an Eldar objective marker / terrain piece. I've posted some pictures below. It's an Eldar ruin sundial / yin-yang thingee that I've decided to call "The Pool of Wisdom". It has a space to hold a shot glass so every turn whoever's holding the objective has the option of taking a drink and getting a VP. The sundial thingee can also be removed and also fits in the recess where the shot glass goes.

YdN2u3a.jpg

JKUlrRD.jpg

rYeQaZ0.jpg

Of course, our giveaways (which will hopefully include new shotglasses with the Warhamster's updated logo) won't be painted. They'll look more like this:

y1K7lWe.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting set to launch my third terrain Kickstarter, and have most of the project ready to go. I need to shoot a video and come up with a cover photo, but otherwise I'm close to launching. If you have a chance, I'd be obliged if you could take a gander at the preview page (here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/164386443?token=3bfb28ea ) and let me know any concerns, comments, or suggestions you might have.

A couple of questions I have:

1) Do the pledge levels make sense? I know that starting the terrain rewards off at $50-worth of terrain might put some people who would normally pledge for something smaller off, but it does make things easier or me from a shipping standpoint. 

2) Is the fact that shipping will be charged in the pledge manager after the fact clear? What about the fact that International shipping will be ridiculously expensive? Or do you think it would be better just to forgo international shipping and ship only to the US?

• Like 4

Maybe take the minimum Terrain Pledge down to $40? That covers 2 Ruined Fountains or 1 Flooded Ruins, and maybe have an option to put the extra $5 towards shipping if someone just wants a Temple Arch. Not sure if that would bump things down to a point where it's more obnoxious for you, but it feels like it fits better with the individual prices you've got there.

I think the shipping information is clear enough. No matter how you do it, tho, there's almost guaranteed to be someone who misses it :P My inclination would be to leave International Shipping in as an option for anyone willing to shell out for it, but I can see that leading to headaches from people arguing over costs that are out of your control. Have you had substantial International sales in the past?

Also, the High Ruins description needs further proofreading. I didn't notice anything in the other sections.

• Like 2

Looks really professional without being dry. Can be a tough line to walk.

The only constructive criticism i can offer is the fact that you've already completed two Kickstarter campaigns and delivered everything early is buried. That's a huge selling point in my book. Lots of really talented people have had Beautiful proposals (like yours) that turned into vaporware.

• Like 2

Awesome. $40 is doable.

Maybe I'll make the main pledges US only, and make a separate international pledge with all sorts of warnings all over it? That should make it more clear. International sales haven't been huge, but they are not ignorable. I've gotta address it somehow.

I'll check on the proofreading, and try to make the past successes more prominent.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

• Like 2