Allies poll - would loss of allies deter you from an event?

Brother Glacius

OFCC and Allies optional rule  

41 members have voted

1. 1. If the OFCC disallowed allies...

• I would still attend and would have no impact on my list
    • I would attend, but would have to make modifications to my list
    • I would have to consider not attending due to the loss
    • I would not attend even though it would not effect my list
    • I would not attend because it would affect my list

So... then my next question is where do I find out the when and where of the OFCC?

Basically, this forum runs it's own tournament once per year. Usually happens in the summer, around august. It's usually either in portland or vancouver, as that's sort of a mid point for a lot of our members. The event is themed around fun, usually softer lists, which makes for an event which is mostly a social excuse for all of us nerds to get together once per year.

-Pax

Allies, Escalation, Stronghold Assault and Dataslates are not optional. 

I strenuously disagree that Escalation and Stronghold Assault are parts of 40k.  We've discussed this ad nauseum before, but what I base my position on is the blurb by Rick Priestly and how the supplements are presented at GW (specifically on their website).  To me, they both smack of Apoc-lite, and an intermediate, optional supplement, more akin to Planetstrike or Skies of Death.  

My position is that GW saw how both Planetsrike and Skies of Death failed to generate any real traction because they weren't "core rules".  They didn't put all the "optional" verbiage in Esc and SA to try and move more books.  

Frankly, I see no reason why anyone should have to put up with Esc or SA unless they wanted to.  Circling back to a lot of other discussions, Esc and SA are fine if you WANT to play that way, but to say it is mandatory I think is a bit far fetched.  

• Like 5

so is 2k double force org...but we all ignore that, and it's in the BRB

I have not seen the same results as you. In terms of the double FOC, I've tried it a few times. It's a headache balancing the list with two primaries, fortifications, and maybe some allies. On paper, cheaper armies can do it, but my DA suffer if I try it in practice. I have done some tinkering with army builder, looks like DE can really do it right, but most other armies will suffer.

My primary also suffers from being required to bring 4x troops, which are often more than I want to bring. This is true of both my IG (each platoon is one FOC slot) and my DA. My GK can do it, but I'm basically required to field coteaz or draigo's 1-paladin units, as I'd otherwise have no points to spare for other slots.

In general, I've found 6th lighter on troops than 5th was. 6th, or perhaps just my local meta, seems to favor lists with limited troops and large use of the other FOC slots.

Allies are cool and all, but I rarely use them.  My Sisters of Battle are pretty much the only army i actually utilize them in and I almost feel like I'm not since they've had IG in their list forever. 

Codex on codex action is hot.  Let's do THAT.

If banning allies and pdf formations, why are sisters fair game? You don't have a physical codex, just a pdf. In many respects, your entire army is, presently, just a digital release/supplement. I don't seriously have a beef with sisters, but I think it is unreasonable to object to certain aspects of GW's digital releases or supplements, but not others. 

That said, I really won't consider banning anything from a casual and fun event like the OFCC. Seems to counter the spirit of the game, to deny some people their fun lists.

-Pax

Pax, what LH is saying is that sisters are the only army he uses allies with, because, historically, they had IG in their base dex.  

Wow...reading comprehension fail....I even went over that post a few times.

-Pax

I think an event like OFCC would be the BEST place to allow everything, such as Stronghold Assault, Escalation, and Dataslates. As it is a more casual event I feel a lot of the "broken" combos will be frowned upon or downright disallowed after list review. These supplements are a blast if both parties want to simply have a good time. "Forge that narrative!"

• Like 1

But do you really want to play against a revenant? If they were to allow lords of war i'd want two lists. One for lord of war games and one for not. With open gaming i'd want club challenge stuff to be more basic and maybe a structured Saturday night round robin you could sign up for to make sure all that brought that type of list could pay a game.

At most, I don't think I'd want to see more than one of the "problematic" Lords of War per team. At that point, it's possible to have a counter-list on your Team and let the Matchup Process sort if out, but if everyone has to be ready to deal wit LoW, it cuts a huge chunk of the viable build-space out.

I also wouldn't want that one list guy have to play all the Lord of war games...

If 40k OFCC is an open, free for all, I will be slightly unhappy. 40k is NOT the same game it was last summer. The rules creep is insane. I would like to see some hard decisions made. The head of gaming needs to draw the line, and keep things reasonable. Nobody wants to face a Revanant... let's be real.

+1

If 40k OFCC is an open, free for all, I will be slightly unhappy. 40k is NOT the same game it was last summer. The rules creep is insane. I would like to see some hard decisions made. The head of gaming needs to draw the line, and keep things reasonable. Nobody wants to face a Revanant... let's be real.

What about one with Sonic Lances?? :p