Knights

pretre

There actually are no rules for a superheavy walker moving through terrain- they have the Move Through Cover rule, but in 6th edition there aren't any actual units with a 12" move that are slowed by terrain, so there's no guideline for how to resolve it. One could presume that the 5th edition system (make a normal DT test and double the distance) is still in force, but that's really just a guess- it's just as arguable that they aren't slowed by it at all.

You know, RAW, there are rules that are quite clear.

Super-heavy walker says 12" movement unless specified otherwise. Walker rules (which they follow) in movement say to use infantry response when going through difficult terrain. Infantry move d6" though difficult terrain (2d6, pick the highest, 3d6 with move through cover). Rules are clear, best of XD6 result in inches when going through terrain.

I suppose the super heavy walkers just aren't very good at going through terrain. Maybe they tip easy and are slowing to counter it.

Whether the above is the intended rules or not, that is RAW. It isn't a vague bit in the rules, this one is actually crystal clear. Despite this, it will probably get FAQed with a response to make it vague.

-Pax

via a Reader here on Faeit 212

Here's a reply I got from GW Customer Service regarding the key question, can Chaos ally with Knights?From: UK Customer ServicesDate: 24 February 2014To:              Subject: Re: Imperial KnightsHiThanks for the email, the rules printed in this week's issue of White Dwarf state that "They may also be taken as allies; you can include up to three Imperial Knights as a single allied detachment for each primary detachment in your army" As such any 40k army can take them as a allied detachment.Perhaps the persuasive nature of Slaanesh has convinced a Freelance household to work for Chaos, or maybe they just pay better than the Forces of the Imperium.We hope this helps and that you enjoy the new Imperial Knights.

For my brain, this means a cheap stompa. If it's really an unrestricted ally then I'm considering a "Freechoppa"  What say you?

Whoa, that means Tyranids can have Knights but no Genestealer infected PDF because...KNIGHT TITANS WOOP WOOP!?!
  • Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Whoa, that means Tyranids can have Knights but no Genestealer infected PDF because...KNIGHT TITANS WOOP WOOP!?!

My thoughts too. I don't know how I feel about it, but fluff wie it makes sense that a genestealer cult could infiltrate a titan.

This was posted without a source over on TTH, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works out this way:

"We have spoken to Jes Bickham and he has given us the following response with regards to the rules for the Imperial Knights: The Imperial Knights don't occupy any force organisation slots, they are not Lords of War, they are an army unto themselves. Something we forgot to say is that all Imperial Knights are scoring units, and if you're playing 3-6 as a primary detachment, pick one as your Warlord.

As Tyranids are unable to Ally with any other armies, due to their natural desire to devour everything in their path, they cant ally with the Imperial Knights either."

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Really! It makes sense, but was hoping could have a nid knight.

I wonder what kind of trait you would want for a knight... they don't seem broken, I don't see the fun in a full knight list, seems too point and click no real thought. Hope the dice favor you.

A good read from Tasty:

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/02/24/gw-apologist-imperial-knight-rules-hysteria/

There are days when you wonder what Games Workshop is thinking, when they don't engage the online community, then there is the last couple of days, and you understand why they consider never looking at their Inboxes ever again. Over the course of the last week, as news of the Imperial Knights came to reality, the Internet has been in furor, nitpicking every possible thing.

The answer to why is simple: jealously.

Now, I am sure everyone has their own personal issues on why they must hate, but one thing is certain, they all want one and finding justifications just seems so difficult! I just wish people would stop making up excuses for not buying this product. I get it, you hate watching everyone salivating for this model; with GW actually creating general excitement it is become too much to bare. 

pitchforks.jpg

So, let me get this straight at first you had to attack the size of the thing because you cannot wait a week to see the thing in person. Acting like the Imperial Knight is some limited edition model being gone by the end of the month. Really, if size is an issue either read some Freud or wait hot damn minute before you order. 

Insanely, GW actually responded to the size issues and changed their website to reflect the Imperial Knight as being 6" not 8" tall. This only added more fuel to the bomb throwers, as proof of some massive GW conspiracy to force us all to pre-order the damn thing on day one. GW should have just let the freak show pass itself out on some opiates.

Now with the rabble's fangs deep inside it was time to move on to the vague rules. Like, what can the Imperial Knight ally with, does it score? Once again GW does the wrong thing; the White Dwarf editor posted on the digital Facebook page and GW's website to answered some questions, while generating a ton more. Causing serial trollers to bellow on every forum condemning the Imperial Knight as the ultimate money grab ever perpetrated by GW. Since god knows if Tyranids were allowed to ally with something unfluffy Wahammer would be dead.

Once again GW should've just waited, since we all know the thing is getting its own codex. At least the people hugging their computers for every bit of succulent GW blood knew. Worse still, are the people posting "customer service" emails from GW with contradicting messages about what can ally with what. The obvious money is on Imperial Knights not being able to ally with Tyranids, but any army prone to hiring mercenaries shouldn't have a problem.

Once again it comes to down patience. If the people still on the fence about the Imperial Knight would wait they would get all the answers they need to make an informed decision. It is like informed consent but, instead the me, me, now, now generation must demand answer!. Sadly, GW isn't that quick to the draw, having only recently leaving the informational Stone Age. It is perhaps GW naiveté causing these problems, because every Internet troll's penchant for exploiting weakness is trademarkable.

These sorts of fights with GW are just so pointless. GW does something great, certain people just cannot handle it, and have to look for fault where none really exists. Yes, GW wants to sell the model and the Imperial Knight is obviously a flagship for them. GW is building a mythos around this one model, with expanded fluff and resources. By next week, as everyone is happily building their Imperial Knights, the rabble will move on to the next palace, which if I had to guess, will be the Imperial Knight codex. Such is the universe now created by the weekly White Dwarf.

• Like 1

I personally don't care, but the fact that it's only six inches tall really makes me wonder about that $140 price tag.  The Riptide wasn't that much, and the Wraithknight is much taller than the new knight.  I think people might be complaining (stupidly, they can just go cancel their pre-order) because of a perceived unjust price.

Again, vote with your wallet people.

• Like 2

Yeah if you look at a 6" action figure in a toy store they are about $15-$20, and some are almost as detailed as minis. $140 is outrageous for a kit that should have and could have been bigger.

I think outrageous is not the right word.

Keep in mind that the supply chain and manufacturing for a 6" action figure made by Mattel is completely different from the supply chain and manufacturing made by GW. I.e. Economies of scale. We're also talking an entirely different kind of product that cannot easily be compared.

Either way, listen to Dashneeb, vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

• Like 2

Yeah if you look at a 6" action figure in a toy store they are about $15-$20, and some are almost as detailed as minis. $140 is outrageous for a kit that should have and could have been bigger.

FWIW, I'm not surprised at the size (I posted on the side-by-side comparison with a Trygon, and guesstimated it was 6") and sorta glad it *isn't* bigger. That will keep the Knight in scale with my Armorcast Reaver, while leaving my Dreamforge Crusader as a viable Warhound counts-as (it's the same height as the AC version). Works all around!

In game terms a smaller model with the capabilities of the IK is better actually...though I know even a 6" Tall model is still a pain to try to take advantage of cover with and that would really only come into play during Night fighting.Being a Melee hard hitter anything that can help it close the distance is a bonus.

Another way I look at these prices is the ingame points values/effectiveness vs the purchase price.For instance the Stompa is very much worth the price and points for what ya get,I would be hard pressed fielding 770 pts worth of Ork stuff that can do what the Stompa does for 140.00.I could probably say the same about IG and the new Knight for its cost...not sure about other armys though.

For instance the Stompa is very much worth the price and points for what ya get,I would be hard pressed fielding 770 pts worth of Ork stuff that can do what the Stompa does for 140.00.I could probably say the same about IG and the new Knight for its cost...not sure about other armys though.

Speaking as a longtime IG player, I dunno about that - that was the first thing I thought when I saw the Paladin's stats. I can rock 2 battle cannon shots, 2 heavy stubbers, and 2 heavy bolters in a single Leman Russ Squadron for right around 300 pts. While that's a lower BS and speed than the Knight, and does not have a STR D melee weapon or Ion Shield, it a) doesn't eat my Ally slot, b) spreads its HP amongst multiple targets, c) can easily take advantage of common cover, d) can mount additional weapons for even more firepower, and e) doesn't asplode and wipe out the rest of my line when it dies.

FWIW, I think the IK is still money, but for armies like the IG it brings something different rather than something essential. For the other non-bug armies, it's a nice way to add melta or battle cannons, as well as a kickass big stompy robot.

• Like 1

The knight ignores the damage table though which is an important distinction -- its like eternal warrior for vehicles.  The stomp attack, ability to score and threat of asploding and wiping your opponents models are other considerations.  

IG + knight allies seem like a nice fit to me as they compliment the knights well (by providing anti air via vendettas and barrage for anti horde).  Not a necessity but nice none-the-less. 

• Like 1

The knight ignores the damage table though which is an important distinction -- its like eternal warrior for vehicles.  The stomp attack, ability to score and threat of asploding and wiping your opponents models are other considerations.  

I've been really applauding the super heavy damage table. It's great from a modeling standpoint. Don't need to have wrecks on the table, don't need to have weapons removable, just remove the entire model when destroyed and keep dice on them for hull point loss. I hope, next edition, that we will have this system for all vehicles, not just super heavies.

If you didn't already notice, these guys are up on the GW site.

As for the knights, I don't see any issues with just the one, but I don't like this GW approach to only allowing a certain LoW to be taking in multiples. I also see lots of potential issues with multples of these getting buffed with psychic powers and abilites - I'm expecting allies of convenience to counter this, or perhaps another special rule.

I do think the point of this release is to bridge the gap between players don't like escalation to those that do. This model is a pretty solid stepping stone between the bigger LoWs and itself. At 6 HP, it's a super heavy just barely, and with only a single real shooting attack, it doesn't show the potential of being able to target multiple units. It has a D weapon, but not the more disputed ranged ones. It's other ranged weapon is very light for a ~400pt unit.

I'm thinking that the last few releases (escalation, SA, and the knights) is GW's gradual approach to getting their FW line to be commonplace in american 40k and in tournaments. Probably a handful of other releases and then the rumored updated 40k rule book which will fully legalize FW (unless GW releases the FW rules with their own twist before then).

-Pax

Dreamforge is selling the leviathan for only $75 with their current sale.

Which is too tall by a few inches. That's what many folks are annoyed by. I did a re-measure last night - we estimated the Knight to be about 6-6.5 inches based on pic with the side-by-side with a Trygon. My Dreamforge titan's *leg* is 5.25 inches tall on its own.