Is it just me...

blackvigil

Uh..."I want a Tyranid with a penis on his back?" That's the best I can figure.

See, that sounds awesome. Slaanesh could use one of those.

The pyrovore is lacking...

Main issue, like last codex, is that it's elite slots. In terms of uses, seems like a decent unit to put in charge of a building defense if tyranids have one. Just one in a building that serves another purpose (Like FSR for AA). 40pt unit that can overwatch with a heavy flamer. Not useless as a backfield defender if you go with a long-range bug army approach.

Still, agree, not worth the elites slot. In terms of point cost and model size, it's an IG heavy weapon squad with heavy flamers instead of a longer range weapon and mostly better stats.

-Pax

Can we celebrate the 1 year anniversary since GW has answered a frequently asked question? I don't want this milestone going unnoticed!!

Signature changed to the above. We'll get the word out. A celebration is to be had...

-Pax

I have said it once I will say it again competitive play is taken so seriously in this game you would think the prizes would be worth some real money lol  Its a game! Enjoy it and the surprises that come with it!  It will make us all more hardened veteran commanders!

They are sometimes for cash.

Anyway, we do enjoy it, or we'd stop. Online rules debates are more about avoiding in-person rules debates, than they are about anything else. I want the rules clear enough that we can quickly resolve issues that arise in-game and keep playing. This can be very challenging with some of GW's rules....and present lack of FAQ support regarding said rules.

Or has stronghold assault, escalation, dataslates, digital only releases, and imperial knights killed anyone else's interest in 40k? It's just too convoluted to pay attention anymore.

I own 40k models, but I don't plan to play in any organized situations anytime soon. Hopefully all of this big model BS will get toned down by another edition. I will pick it up then I guess.

This.

1.  Have the copious releases dimmed your interest?

2.  has it dimmed your interest in playing or just playing tournies?

That's what i got out of it.

• Like 2

time for some crazy....

if GW is allowed to throw crazy new stuff with questionable play testing into the mix, I call the same right for the community.

We should bring back old codexs :D, cause why the hell not?  It can't get any worse or more crazy.

GW has always thrown questionable play tested stuff into the mix. Why is it different now?

It's not my friend, the volume is just turned to 11 :).  My point is this, if GW is allowed to be crazy at volume 11, and it's our community, we play the game we want, why not turn it up to volume 11 ourselves?  This is just for conversation purposes, I'm not advocated that the NOVA Open does this.

It's not my friend, the volume is just turned to 11 :).  My point is this, if GW is allowed to be crazy at volume 11, and it's our community, we play the game we want, why not turn it up to volume 11 ourselves?  This is just for conversation purposes, I'm not advocated that the NOVA Open does this.

I think this is a case of proximity to the problem making it worse than it really is. As I've shown in another thread (or this one), we really don't have more stuff than previous editions. Whether it is playtested more or less is impossible to prove, of course.

Ignoring that though... Should we allow previous codexes, homebrew, etc? Sure, in friendly games. In events? Maybe limited for small local ones, but not big ones like OFCC.

• Like 1

I think one of the big differences is that the overall power level is much higher now than it was in 3rd, and much closer to the point of system-breaking. So it's much easier for the extra variance from a new release to really screw up the game or at least add major complications that make it much harder for someone who's unprepared to deal with it. The only 3rd Ed release that I remember really causing problems was one of the Tyranid ones, I think the Mycetic Spore Army, but it feels like every other release in 6th is shaking up the game to an unprecedented degree.

I think one of the big differences is that the overall power level is much higher now than it was in 3rd, and much closer to the point of system-breaking. So it's much easier for the extra variance from a new release to really screw up the game or at least add major complications that make it much harder for someone who's unprepared to deal with it. The only 3rd Ed release that I remember really causing problems was one of the Tyranid ones, I think the Mycetic Spore Army, but it feels like every other release in 6th is shaking up the game to an unprecedented degree.

Ahh, how memory fades...

I think that was Tyranid Seeding Swarm. VDR caused quite a stir since you could create boxes covered in lascannons. Chaos 3.5 is the standard by which overpowered armies have been judged for years now.

I don't disagree that power levels are higher now, but gak got messed up pretty bad by some of the releases in 3rd and OMG OP armies were just as bad as they are now. (I'm looking at you Chaos 3.5...)

@pretre: I agree that what they are doing really isn't much in change in policy. I mean, the horrible lack of FAQ updates is very annoying, but I recall the 4th ed FAQs making the game harder to understand, or they'd answer the common sense questions unasked because of how obvious the answers were. The supplements being rushed out is a constant for GW.

I dunno, it's one of those companies where you really want them to be amazing, and they are pretty good, but they fail at being amazing not because they can't be, but because they are satisfied with pretty good.

Still, I don't think the codex release pace is any faster than previous editions, unless we count the digital releases and the codex expansions (like the upcoming crimson slaughter) - those codex expansions are about the equivalent of a WD codex of the past (Kroot mercs, feral orks, necrons...). I also find it very unlikely that we'll have all the books updated to the same edition in this incarnation of 40k, as they seem more keen on supplements and expansions than codex releases.

Anyway, I do understand the GW mindset. The codex release does put an entire product line into jeopardy, as making sub-par codex could result in a decrease of sales. A codex expansion, just makes existing models sell better, as it doesn't devalue the existing line. Same with dataslates. The current push seems to be their super-heavy kits, which probably aren't selling fast enough in their eyes, hence Apocalypse re-release and then escalation/SA rather shortly after.

I also strongly doubt that the physical book profit margin is very high for GW. I don't think they print it themselves, so the amount of effort they put into a physical codex is probably about the same as the PDF version, except the PDF doesn't require the shipping or third-party sellers (hobby stores). I imagine they do make a profit, but it's negligible compared to the actual model sales.

-Pax

Bringing back old stuff like the Armageddon Codex and Catachan Jungle Fighters would be cool. These things work best for scenarios or garage campaigns though.

Warzone Armageddon is actually included as the second half of the apocalypse book. The Catachans have a jungle fighters formation in that book too.

I hope the new IG book includes them as well, though I think it's very likely.

-Pax

I heard the VDR horror story about a monolith with 100 las-pistols on one side...

Or the Rogue Trader army of convicts on hoverboards with bombs in their chests: race forward, get shot, die, turn 4 explode all the corpses and win.

No system can have a ton of options and not be breakable that I've ever heard of. I'd rather have my options and play so that WE have fun. Not play so that I have fun and you go home crying.

• Like 2

I heard the VDR horror story about a monolith with 100 las-pistols on one side...

Or the Rogue Trader army of convicts on hoverboards with bombs in their chests: race forward, get shot, die, turn 4 explode all the corpses and win.

No system can have a ton of options and not be breakable that I've ever heard of. I'd rather have my options and play so that WE have fun. Not play so that I have fun and you go home crying.

Those both sound like fun armies to play....

-Pax

Ahh, how memory fades...

I think that was Tyranid Seeding Swarm. VDR caused quite a stir since you could create boxes covered in lascannons. Chaos 3.5 is the standard by which overpowered armies have been judged for years now.

I don't disagree that power levels are higher now, but gak got messed up pretty bad by some of the releases in 3rd and OMG OP armies were just as bad as they are now. (I'm looking at you Chaos 3.5...)

OK, let me re-phrase: The Seeding Swarm was the only thing I ever actually saw anyone put on the table that was problematic. In 6th, it feels like game-breaking stuff is cropping up even when my regular opponent and I are actively trying to avoid it.

And the 3.5 CSM Dex needs to be let lie. I was looking through it a little while ago, and it looks incredibly tame by modern Army standards. I'd happily go up against it with any Dex currently in print.

• Like 1