New Sisters Models - Sisters Bulletin

pretre

9 hours ago, WestRider said:

Oh, yeah, not denying that there has been scale creep. Just that it's not as bad as that pic with the Slaughterpriest might indicate.

Well, definitely an unfair comparison for many reasons. The two models aren't even supposed to be incarnations of eachother - different factions even.

Want scale creep, start comparing incarnations of Bloodthirsters or Avatars. There's some scale creep. Even comparing chaos warriors to chaos warriors, scale creep. But comparing character model from faction X to core rank and file infantry from faction Y isn't fair. And GW typically makes characters a bit bigger. And that particular character is supposed to be taller than average. And pictured rank and file model isn't even on a base. 

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Well, definitely an unfair comparison for many reasons. The two models aren't even supposed to be incarnations of eachother - different factions even.

Want scale creep, start comparing incarnations of Bloodthirsters or Avatars. There's some scale creep. Even comparing chaos warriors to chaos warriors, scale creep. But comparing character model from faction X to core rank and file infantry from faction Y isn't fair. And GW typically makes characters a bit bigger. And that particular character is supposed to be taller than average. And pictured rank and file model isn't even on a base. 

I feel that stuff like the Greater Daemons and Avatars is less about scale creep and more about improvements in GW's resources and sculpting/casting technology. Pretty sure they always wanted them to be that huge, but it just wasn't viable with metal Models, or plastics when they had to be sculpted by hand.

• Like 2

It’s also less noticeable since those are supposed to be monsters... In my head I can easily accept the idea that two different daemonic entities from beyond reality might look radically different.

When two human (or superhuman) models meant to be mere mortals from the same faction are dramatically different in scale, like those two Blood Angels Tactical Marines it’s a lot more obvious.

I’m not a “rivet counter” who is overly concerned about how perfectly true to scale accurate my toy soldiers are... But it can be a little funny looking if someone mixes older and newer models .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

I feel that stuff like the Greater Daemons and Avatars is less about scale creep and more about improvements in GW's resources and sculpting/casting technology. Pretty sure they always wanted them to be that huge, but it just wasn't viable with metal Models, or plastics when they had to be sculpted by hand.

Well, I think it's fair to consider is scale creep, but I'm certainly happy with the changes.

5 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Wait, wut?! Pax, is happy with change?! With a change that is GW doing?! This might truly be the End Times. 

Ever played 40k where the eldar player fields their avatar on the 25mm round it came with?

I have. 

Really glad they made that model bigger.

The original Avatar wasn't much larger than the other Eldar infantry. Maybe about 50 mm in height, as I recall. About 60 mm to the top of his spear... 

It was a pretty awesome model. If anyone has one kicking around their collection these days, they could probably field it as a Phoenix Lord or something.

502920.JPG

c2093eldaravatrwarlks-01.jpg

• Like 1

The new Sisters Box contents have been revealed! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/11/sisters-of-battle-army-set-unboxinggw-homepage-post-1/?m_i=12f19O%2Bq733WoMggT3PAikdD1aP8Z34pgsZXgT%2B6hnsubIuW1H3_SDXzbBXX4jGbPRCZLKknI%2BLH%2BqZdlZ%2Bs%2Bcs%2BjL93UB

The only down side? I estimate it's only about 500 points or so. 120 for the Squad, 80 for the Serephim, 75 for the Cannoness, 150 for the Penitent Engine, 75-ish for the rest. GW also promises more Sisters of Battle models... in 2020. I know they have previewed the Exorcist and Immolator. They also previewed the heavy weapons squad, right? That leaves maybe a couple more HQ types, and the elite SoB's. I really hope they don't add the Ecclesiarchy into the SoB they way they did in 5th and 6th! I thought it was absurd that they best HQ was a Priest, and using a horde of basically "cultists" and Death Cult Assassins the way to play SoB's. It would be nice if a full army of Sisters in a Battalion or Brigade detachment would be a viable force on the table, dare it be said a competitive force, without having to bring IG or Imperial Knights, or some other foolishness detachment.

I always liked Frateris Militia, Preachers, Missionaries, and other parts of the Ecclesiarchy being part of the army. That dates all the way back to their original Second Edition codex... the problem was that the codices you mentioned made them better than the Battle Sisters at doing the Battle Sisters’ jobs! 

Frateris Militia should be cannon fodder chaff, Preachers should be squishy force multipliers that buff the Militia, etc. They should be useful, but limited to very specific roles.

(Or just drop them altogether and encourage people to make nifty conversions of the Imperial Guard blob detachments they’ll inevitably add.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, necrontyr said:

Meanwhile, a multipart Canoness gives you your own customisable commander for the Adepta Sororitas, armed for any of your battlefield needs – or just for what you personally think would be the most fun to paint.

e10fa790.jpg

And if my battlefield needs involve a jump pack or some other form of actual mobility? ...

20 hours ago, Ish said:

I haven’t read the new rules, but are Canonesses still not allowed jump packs? 

GW’s whole “not in the box, not in the rules” design ethos these last couple years has been incredibly annoying.

I don't actually know, but it's one of the complaints I've seen come up most frequently, and GW hasn't addressed it at all.

And yeah, it was more generally a jab at that policy. That really cuts into a lot of what I like about 40K and other GW games as a hobby.