Not to be a doomsayer or anything... but DX

The year: 2015. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Old World and the Morrsleib, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is cast in ruin! Two thousand years later, the Old World is reborn. A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science and sorcery.

But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Nagash the Mok and Everqueen Alarielle, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Ghal Maraz against the forces of evil. He is Karl Franzarr, the Barbarian!

• Like 6

I think people need to ask a few questions when thinking of this:

Has GW said in the past few years that they wouldn't abandon ranges?  Yes.  They have said that they will continue to support all models.  That narrows this whole "lizardmen are gone completely" talk.

Does GW want to go through another 40k 3rd edition?  No.  They lost soooo many players it took years to recover from that.  

Are they going to ditch the Hobbit/LotR line now that the movies are done, and that it's by far their worst selling line?  No.  They have stated that they have 3 core games that they support and don't plan on deviating from that.

While I can see them putting some armies together (Dwarfs and Humans, maybe, although I'm sure you could run them as their own armies if you wanted) it just doesn't make sense.  The worst selling line that they have is Skaven, and it's been their worst selling line for years, to a point where they make the army just silly good and people still don't want to buy it.  YET, they continue to make models for it over and over.

So take that all with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure that it kind of shows you my direction of thinking on the subject.

• Like 1

Warseer rumors are 50/50. I dont trust that these guys know the "whole truth" they embellish a lot in every rumor posted there. I think they feed off the chaos....Anyone can get snippets of information and try to connect the dots, but unless you are in the board meetings or have the published book in your hands, you're just guessing.

Darnok (from Warseer) - Total rumors: (49 TRUE) / (17 FALSE) / (9 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Harry from Warseer - Total rumors: (39 TRUE) / (7 FALSE) / (2 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

A bit better than 50/50.

• Like 2

Yes, there are rumors on Warseer that can swing either way. But rumors from Darnok and his birdies are about 81% accurate. Rumors from Harry are over 85% accurate. This rumor, specifically, is backed up by both Darnok/birdies AND Harry.

Also when you actually look at the specific rumors by Harry, the False rumors are mostly just timing. The order of Glottkin and Malekith (Khaine) were reversed. Sisters of Battle came out as an ebook. Blood Bowl released as a video game. And High Elves were after WoC, just not right after WoC.

Of Darnok's/birdies' False rumors, 13/17 were about 40k, and the others were timing or things he said he didn't believe true, but heard from reliable birdies.

So all that together, I'd say there's a pretty damn good chance what they're saying will come to pass. I don't want it to. But it seems like it. I know I'll still be playing 8th for awhile after the world goes to [big bad swear word]. But when they start taking models off the shelves and not carrying models for 8th anymore, I think that's when it will be time to fully switch to another game system.

On a side note, I'm just getting started in Infinity (Yu Jing), so anyone interested, I'm down for a game or two (once I put my models together). N3 (Infinity 3rd edition) just release, and I have the hardcopies, but the rules are free online. All companies should give their rules for free. Also, I play Firestorm Armada (Directorate) and Warmachine (Retribution) as well.

• Like 1

The Kings of War v2 kickstarter is over, but they haven't started the pledge manager yet. I'm in, so if anyone else wants to get in on the rules or other parts, let me know. :)

It isn't as crazy as WFB, but it would let you use most of your models.

As to whatever this new fantasy is....I can say I probably won't want to be a part of it. I have, like most of you, invested thousands of dollars into my current army collections. I don't want to see a radical change. I don't want to get into a "new" game. And the thought of 8th being the edition that I have to stay in doesn't appeal to me either. I hate RPS games, and right now, 8th has that aplenty. So if this is the future that GW wants to present to me and my Fantasy collection, then I am going to have to look elsewhere, which sucks.

Well they have a great opportunity to create combined books were each book has units A-Z, if you wanna use a combined army A-B is core, T,Y,S are special. If you want to play dwarfs units D,Y and W are core.....and so on. If this is the way it goes they dont have to get rid of any units and it can actually be easier to have all models rules. 

• Like 1

Let's assume it does change. How can any of us accurately say it's going to be horrible? It may be an amazing change with great results.

Exactly.  I probably came off as too negative, but my example of 2nd to 3rd ed 40k stands.  While it was a kick in the nuts to a LOT of gamers, the game flourished (eventually) because of it.  

Perhaps these changes will HELP fantasy.  

Frankly, I've always felt that the Old World was pretty crappy for a Fantasy setting.  It was too obviously a rough approximation of Earth with a mish-mash of Tolkein and other lores kinda stuffed into it willy nilly.  It borrowed from real history for style choices (Landsnecht = Empire, Aztec/Maya for Lizardmen, etc etc) which was fine, but not terribly inventive.  

By hitting the reset button and creating a new, unique setting, they have the opportunity to really expand and make things better.  I wonder if in 10 years we look back and wished they'd done it sooner.  

• Like 2

Still, this goes against everything that the internal people I know talk about as being what the brand is about.  It sound entirely off the wall.  If they were going to introduce an apoc style into fantasy, sure.  Otherwise, this isn't crazy.

And, you can say that the Skaven are unsupported, I'm sure Dwarfs and Bretonnians would scoff.  However, while you might see less Dwarf armies personally, it doesn't reflect sales numbers in the slightest.

• Like 1

Also, speaking as someone who is more on the 40k side of things.  7th edition 40k is a huge sandbox with virtually no army creation restrictions if you want.  I'm wondering if that free-form army building is going to be part of 9th ed Fantasy.  I remember somewhat fondly all the alliance shenanigans I could get into in 5th edition Fantasy and I loved it (to a point, Dwarves always having a High Elf mage lord joining them was dumb). 

The more free-form list building allows for all kinds of whackiness which can either be for the greater good like when someone with a keen eye for style and design makes some unorthodox army combination really work together thematically, or for great evil like when some cheese monger just lumps all the best units into a silly package of lunacy.  

It's kind of a throwback to the less structured nature of, say, 5th edition Fantasy, where the community had to put restrictions on the game to make it more palatable for general play (no Magic Items over 50 pts, no special characters...etc).  If that's how 9th ed goes, I think you guys can figure out how to make it work.  

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here is the bad news for the Lizardmen, out of the newest WD.

The Slann begin the great exodus?

Not good. And a confirmation that these rumors have some truth.

Now I will be doing what MN says and waiting to form my opinion but I am not liking what I am seeing for now. They better start showing some real kick ass new rules or models to make up for what is rumored.

Was talking to my friend about all this and it really hit me how brilliant GW is being with this move. Lets face it, Fantasy is too bloated. Also, the games are becoming more and more rock paper scissors. If you don't have the right build, you get crushed.

Here is the track that I can see GW taking:

1) release 8th ed books for all existing armies, making 8th edition a complete edition.

2) release new fantasy game that is focused on skirmish to small battles.

3) move most of 8th ed fantasy models to GW web store only as they are no longer supported by new game (this lets GW claim that they are still supporting 8th edition players)

4) stores now need less space to display GW fantasy game.

5) new game will attract 40K players now that the typical "big price for an army" tag is off of a fantasy force, plus it looks more like 40K

6) existing WFB players will be able to convert in some fashion existing models to work with new game

That is a win for GW on pretty much every level.

• Like 1