Not to be a doomsayer or anything... but DX

Looks like 8e forever for me if this goes ahead. I still love the "old world" and in my head the invasion will be defeated and the incursion repelled. If they blow up the world into these real space "bubbles" and leave me without my armies to play there is no other choice but to continue in 8th. 

It might *sound* terrible on the surface, to get rid of so much of the world that we know and love from years of playing games in it.  But there is a lot that I like:

• I like the sound of a more frequent release cadence affecting more of our armies.  I mean a new army book and model refresh is really fun, like Christmas for those people who play that army... but it's every several years in between (or in Bretonnia's case, decades!).  I'd rather have more of us getting new toys more often (ala End Times)
  • I really like the idea of collecting and painting units, rather than whole armies... being able to mashup and switch around units to build entirely new armies sounds fun!!  I really like the build flexibility in End Times legions-style armies, and welcome even more of that.
  • The rumor of a heavily armored "good guys" human force to balance against the Chaos warriors sounds frikkin' sweet.  Count me in... I've been trying to build an Chaos Hunter human army for years and years.  Right now it's based on Bretonnia but in the past I was using an Empire book based build.  This would just be a ton of fun to play with.

All in all I don't really care for the division of models into army books, of which we've always had to "pick one" or make two different armies!  The enforcement of factions is something we're really comfortable with but in the end doesn't make much sense in a game where the time and $$ commitment for a faction is so frikkin high.

Just my first thoughts... I'm stoked for more toys to play with and more new stuff more often!

• Like 2

Read it when I woke up this morning. I am reserving my opinion for now but I am not buying anything till the book drops then I will decide what I will do with a level head.

If they destroy the world and reality then I am not sure I want to read the fluff. Heck let's do old battle like the Battle for the Blackfire Pass. In some ways I want to yell "Old World Forever!" but feel it is too soon.

It might *sound* terrible on the surface, to get rid of so much of the world that we know and love from years of playing games in it.  But there is a lot that I like:

• I like the sound of a more frequent release cadence affecting more of our armies.  I mean a new army book and model refresh is really fun, like Christmas for those people who play that army... but it's every several years in between (or in Bretonnia's case, decades!).  I'd rather have more of us getting new toys more often (ala End Times)
  • I really like the idea of collecting and painting units, rather than whole armies... being able to mashup and switch around units to build entirely new armies sounds fun!!  I really like the build flexibility in End Times legions-style armies, and welcome even more of that.
  • The rumor of a heavily armored "good guys" human force to balance against the Chaos warriors sounds frikkin' sweet.  Count me in... I've been trying to build an Chaos Hunter human army for years and years.  Right now it's based on Bretonnia but in the past I was using an Empire book based build.  This would just be a ton of fun to play with.

All in all I don't really care for the division of models into army books, of which we've always had to "pick one" or make two different armies!  The enforcement of factions is something we're really comfortable with but in the end doesn't make much sense in a game where the time and $$ commitment for a faction is so frikkin high.

Just my first thoughts... I'm stoked for more toys to play with and more new stuff more often!

Interesting take. I am intrigued by the parts that make it simpler to release and such. Simplifying the armies, in relation to how many there are and choices, is a good idea. Not having to know 18, or how ever many, army books will make the games a bit easier.

I don't trust them enough to pull this off, but Ill see what they do. Hell the fire sales on ebay must be priming already though.

Ive following this over at Dakka since it popped up yesterday.

Its at first exciting to hear but also very concerning..even disappointing.

I share NtK`s optimism on this as I think it could be really cool especially with the assumed new faction being Pally like Good guys who roam the new "Bubbles" or whatever they are and smite chaos Biatch`s down :laugh:

But it also sounds like they may be giving up on what I see as a very good core game system that is 8th edition fantasy.I have been spending the last half of the year really getting into WHFB,getting as many games as I can in over at WoW and soaking up all the tactics and tricks from you Ordo vets of the game and at this point im just starting to really get a grasp on the depth of the movement game.Ive even gotten my Son into it.This current rule set is very solid and very rewarding for gamers who spend the time and practice to master it and Im very concerned that they are going to remove that core of the ruleset in favor of a more lax system that relies more on list building with a simplified movement and combat system...don't get me wrong im NOT making a comparison to 40k as I think that is a great game system too though it suffers a lot more from balance issues between its armies than fantasy does.

The round base issue doesn't bother me as much as I think they will still be encouraging ranking up(just using some goofy LotR trays im sure) actually I would even think that ranking troop blocks would probably still be the most powerfull units on the field and that would bode well for GW selling more models.I don't buy into the whole "Going skirmish" thing as that would be a huge step backwards business wise...you use less models in our game,you don't buy as much from us,pretty simple.

I also don't buy into the part were "Most of the existing models will no longer be needed/supported" yeah that's probably an exaggeration.It would be suicide for a company to all of a sudden invalidate a large chunk of product that they've been selling to their customers over the last 20 years...well if that's what they do then im out and looks like ill be unloading a lot of models to beef up my 40k/Bolt Action collections.

• Like 1

yea i saw it yesterday and raged a bit.  color me pessimistic.  ive been way more excited for new book releases of individual armies than dreading the crazy stupidity in rules changes that is End Times.  there is tweaking an already decent platform and then there is just nuking it... if end times is leading into 9th its got disaster written all over it.  GW needs to recognize their strength and its NOT their models.  there are alternatives that make muuuch better models than GW does.  its their game system and scene that we like and the reason we buy their models to play the game.  they want to change their system and scene to reflect their new desire of more model purchases... its a very risky business plan that only a desperate, possibly bankrupt company should take.  i find them extremely lazy cause all they have to do is be more on top of their game system with FAQs and better writing but they really dont care about the game system at all and it really takes minimal effort.  just $$.  they arent being a smart company because the $ they receive is also quite a bit due to the game itself and not just their models.  im hoping its a false rumor but honestly it wont surprise me to be correct.  if those are indeed the changes ill sell all my other models and just play 8th ed dwarfs.  not buying stupid circle bases what the ****...... i cant even picture skirmishing dwarfs, if they indeed keep that army while adding giant metal mutated globs with guns of 40k weirdness to fantasy(overexagerration).

yea i saw it yesterday and raged a bit.  color me pessimistic.  ive been way more excited for new book releases of individual armies than dreading the crazy stupidity in rules changes that is End Times.  there is tweaking an already decent platform and then there is just nuking it... if end times is leading into 9th its got disaster written all over it.  GW needs to recognize their strength and its NOT their models.  there are alternatives that make muuuch better models than GW does.  its their game system and scene that we like and the reason we buy their models to play the game.  they want to change their system and scene to reflect their new desire of more model purchases... its a very risky business plan that only a desperate, possibly bankrupt company should take.  i find them extremely lazy cause all they have to do is be more on top of their game system with FAQs and better writing but they really dont care about the game system at all and it really takes minimal effort.  just $$.  they arent being a smart company because the $ they receive is also quite a bit due to the game itself and not just their models.  im hoping its a false rumor but honestly it wont surprise me to be correct.  if those are indeed the changes ill sell all my other models and just play 8th ed dwarfs.  not buying stupid circle bases what the ****...... i cant even picture skirmishing dwarfs, if they indeed keep that army while adding giant metal mutated globs with guns of 40k weirdness to fantasy(overexagerration).

Dwarves are rumored to be rolled into the Empire along with Ogres and Bretts. Lizardmen though are rumored to be done away with completely.

Really really hoping 90% of this is just garbage and that there is some better understanding of what is coming soon. So don't sell yet and know if they do tank With 9th we can still game Old World style. (We can even call ourselves Old Worlders. Eh, maybe a little too corny.)

• Like 1

This sounds horribly depressing.  I have been out on WHFB since early 8th edition and have been waiting for 9th ed to see if I would dip my toe in again.  By the sounds of this, I'm probably not coming back.  Probably better for my wallet in the long run.  Chin up Fantasy people!  40k went through something like this from 2nd to 3rd (lizardmen are the new squats!??!) and came out a better game in the end.  Perhaps it will all turn out ok. 

• Like 1

Even though I really am looking forward to a big reduction in the splintered army books (hell I'd be totally fine with 3 factions: Undead, Chaos, and Everyone Else... whatever!), at the end of the day as Rcnjack said what has me enjoying 8th ed is really a streamlined and yet rewarding game system.  So I do think that the "worst case" is that they blow up the game system and make it like LotR or 40k or whatever, removing the larger battle feel that only ranked models has ever provided for me.  

In that "worst case" though, I firmly believe there will be a vacuum for an 8th-ed-model-compatible game system to emerge, much like Pathfinder and D&D.  And for me, honestly that division would be welcome if GW can continue to make models, and a really sharp rules writing company can put out a game system to use those models.  GW has never, ever had a strong commitment to quality rules and rule support.  

Anyway, very interested to see what eventually comes out for 9E, how they'll manage existing army books, etc... there will always be 8E to fall back on if it really does suck after some actual experience with 9E, but for now I'm just excited at the possibility of merged factions and more accessible models released more often!

I hope you're right, but Darnok and Harry have been right more often than not.

For once Pretre I want to disagree with you but I can't. My biggest hope is that their rumors tend to miss somethings and other parts are slightly overstated.

Otherwise I will be glad to play games with some Old Wolders. (Yep, I'm going with that name Cheese or no cheese.)

I am not taking one model off its current base to have it on a round base. The idea that GW thinks this will be OK with anyone is just stupid at best and disrespectful is not even the worst.

Warseer rumors are 50/50. I dont trust that these guys know the "whole truth" they embellish a lot in every rumor posted there. I think they feed off the chaos....Anyone can get snippets of information and try to connect the dots, but unless you are in the board meetings or have the published book in your hands, you're just guessing.

Most people like to assume GW [big bad swear word]s their clientele, its sad.

All I see is them creating the best fantasy world/product on the market for my nerdy enjoyment... and they know it.  Warhammer Fantasy will stay true to form as a different game than 40k.

Space marines are lame.