Not to be a doomsayer or anything... but DX

Seriously though, it's all good. Relax.

Here's the thing, John. For many of the people having difficulties and reacting thusly, you have to remember that they have invested into this hobby. I refer, of course, to more than just a monetary investment, but a emotional, temporal, and social one. I know I would not be the same person I am today without the hobby. For multitude of reasons, let alone DMB.

Decades of investment, which now pay the following dividends: From their perspective, GW has basically said "Thanks for the cash, suckers, can we get some more?"

Should they be pissed off? Yea, I think so. Do they have the right to complain about it on their social network of choice, You betcha. I don't think belittling their opinions as "crying about skinned knees" really applies.

Personally, I'm waiting. Am I going to sell off my elves, abandon the game system, and become a curmudgeonly bastard whining about "in my day". No. Not worth my time. But am I upset about the rumored change in direction? Hooooooo yea. I play Fantasy Battles. Not Fantasy Skirmish. If I wanted to do that, there are better, more well rounded, more enjoyable systems out there. Besides. I've still got my book for 8th.

• Like 4

Ok, I have my level head on now that I have had time to digest this.

First off if this does turn out like a slightly larger version of Mordheim I am in. I will not how ever want to be the old guy out and will be looking to build a new army from the new rules instead of trying to change over my current armies to the new format. I will still be keeping my 8th armies and books for my games with the Dwarves and Lizardmen so they can beat on something.

So if the rumors do all come true the best hope is that there will be supplements or a good fan made army book for the armies left out. Also lets hope there is still some need and bonuses to rank and file, like taking charges or getting extra attacks. That would not only be fine but that will satisfy my reason I play WHFB over 40K and Warmachine.

As for the Bubble Idea I am not a fan as of now, but I also know they have been putting out a lot of Time of Legends books to keep me reading for a while.

Lastly I will admit I am way better at Skirmish Games like Malifuax than I am at WHFB so I may enjoy some smaller games.

In short I will not be so negative about the rumors about 9th.

• Like 1

Do Warmachines in FB normally come with Bases?  Or do they come like (most) Vehicles in 40k?

warmachines i believe have the option of base or no base.  i think you can have a monster base or a round base as an option.  there are advantages to both.  without a base, basically, people can come in at many angles for overruns  which is bad if you have more than one artillery or a sucker target nearby.  good things about no bases is it means longer charges and you can fit them in tighter spaces(like cannons and stone throwers in the corners).  i like no bases, but have to admit i love seeing the awesome job people do with based warmachines.  

EDIT: see MN's response, he's right after checking it.  someone mistold me the rules again. 'sigh' 

• Like 1

warmachines i believe have the option of base or no base. i think you can have a monster base or a round base as an option. there are advantages to both. without a base, basically, people can come in at many angles for overruns which is bad if you have more than one artillery or a sucker target nearby. good things about no bases is it means longer charges and you can fit them in tighter spaces(like cannons and stone throwers in the corners). i like no bases, but have to admit i love seeing the awesome job people do with based warmachines.

Even with a base on a war machine, your opponent can still decide the collision course. The base just adds "flair". As for charges, you ignore the base completely and still measure to the war machine.
  • Like 2

What I don't look forward to is this same thread in 1 - 2 years on the 40K side... Yikes!

40k is going to a more regimented structure, with square bases.

WAHT?!  40K IS RUIN3D!?!?!

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/23642-csm-redux-after-crons/

We already have a thread on it.   :dry:

I'm not sure where Bro G gets his info, though. 

• Like 1

Lol. Bro G so trolling you guys.

Actually, 40K is changing pretty dramatically. Apparently the universe implodes and becomes one giant planet. Most of the races are wiped out and the survivors are reduced to a few cities.

Most of the models are going to be discontinued and a new line which focuses on rank and file unit structures will be implemented.

It's not us he's trolling ;)

Forgive me if someone already linked to this, but this youtube video by the sustainable center is a really thoughtful thing and is worth a view/listen while at the paint table:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-zkO3sUC0

He makes some great points that really make this seem like a positive thing. Thinking about this new release schedule, I get kind of excited. Something for your army every year or half a year or who knows. That makes a lot of sense to me, it could really extend my infatuation with a faction. I find myself trying overlooked units every couple months. With a constant trickle of releases, your plastic addiction could be fed quicker. It also makes sense to balance the armies. If an army is lagging, give them something powerful and fun to reinvest those jilted beastmen/tomb kings players.

I think NtK, Mexican Ninja, and others made these points already, but I think I wasnt in the right mind to consider them. I got a bit reactionary!

• Like 1

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/23642-csm-redux-after-crons/

We already have a thread on it.   :dry:

I'm not sure where Bro G gets his info, though.

I think a better example that is close to this.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/23353-32mm-base-the-new-standard/

Both games have these threads.

• Like 1

I don't know this this browser isn't letting me quote, but no Fluger. Just no. :p

Martin does just fine with having a map and everyone kicking the crap out of each other. WHFB can do it too.

Besides, there's a point made of every race being sea faring or having some other means of travel. Having the whole setting turn into Eldar Craftworlds passing the night? I'd use the vomit emoto thingy now but I can't find it.

trap.png

is it just me or are there a bunch of 40k-ers in this thread already eagerly anticipating the takeover of fantasy.... sorry i think im having too much fun with this now :) my biggest wish is no circle bases. oh the horror!

I have a Fantasy army. But yes, we've never liked you silly curmudgeonly block pushers with all of your advanced tactics and grown up conversations. Harrumph I say! Either way, I hope Fantasy survives the change. I do love the Fantasy Community. ;)
  • Like 3