Codex Eldar confirmed

pretre

So, how reliably can a unit up its armor to a 2+ and how many units can do this each turn? Is the info for this out yet?

So this is the warlocks, which have been nerfed.  From what I understand the maximum number of psychic powers a single unit of warlocks can get is now 3.  That said I believe you can have multiple units of Warlocks.  I think the point investment for 'reliable' is pretty hefty.  The +1 armor save is on the psyker manifesting the power only, it can't be cast on another unit.

So, how reliably can a unit up its armor to a 2+ and how many units can do this each turn? Is the info for this out yet?

Not very reliably; Warlocks essentially have Brotherhood of Psykers now, but have a Mastery Level of one per three guys in the squad. (No word yet on how this changes as they take casualties, etc.) You can potentially cram a Warlock into every squad of bikes or various other models, but the randomness of what powers you get will limit the utility of that strategy I think, especially since they can't use Maelific Daemonology anymore.

Scatter Lasers have the same profile (minus the Laser Lock rule.)

We have pictures of a decent amount of stuff and a pretty reliable source on a bunch of the other stuff, which matches up with what we know from the WD article. None of it is absolute at this point, but it seems quite likely to be correct. The fact that the most-ridiculous part of it is 100% known for sure makes the probability that the "lesser" stuff is made up seem a lot less probable.

• Like 2

Ok, so everyone's flipping out about the new Codex... but do we know how much is accurate and not?

Does a Scatter Laser still have the same profile or get changed? (Like the Star Cannon 2 editions ago)

How much of this is exacerbation over the unknown?

Lance...hi there, let me introduce you to our good friend "Internet".  You obviously haven't had much experience with how "Internet" tends to react to things.  I will let you sit down and discuss this idea of "exacerbation" with our good friend "internet", and we shall see if the two of you can come to grips...

:biggrin:

I'm just messing with ya man...I totally agree with you...the optimist in me would like to think that Scatter Lasers have been altered somehow...but more and more my pessimist is beating optimist over the head with a sledgehammer...

• Like 1

I'll miss Laser Lock :(

Lance...hi there, let me introduce you to our good friend "Internet".  You obviously haven't had much experience with how "Internet" tends to react to things.  I will let you sit down and discuss this idea of "exacerbation" with our good friend "internet", and we shall see if the two of you can come to grips...

:biggrin:

I'm just messing with ya man...I totally agree with you...the optimist in me would like to think that Scatter Lasers have been altered somehow...but more and more my pessimist is beating optimist over the head with a sledgehammer...

ROFL

Thank you.

I love Eldar (I'm a purist) but hate the idea of them becoming Over Powered... I'd rather find how to break them while everyone else is busy pissed off at other armies or other units.

• Like 1

Ok, so everyone's flipping out about the new Codex... but do we know how much is accurate and not?

Does a Scatter Laser still have the same profile or get changed? (Like the Star Cannon 2 editions ago)

How much of this is exacerbation over the unknown?

I would place it at about 98% chance of being true. The amount of work that would have gone into a hoax at this point (and would have needed to include GW in the planning) is crazy,

• Like 1

To balance eldar D weapons taken on wraithguard and such, all they'd need to do is make them -1 on the table and ap-. The classic eldar ridicously short range would also help on those man-portable D weapons. They'd still be strong weapons, but nothing broken.

To balance eldar D weapons taken on wraithguard and such, all they'd need to do is make them -1 on the table and ap-. The classic eldar ridicously short range would also help on those man-portable D weapons. They'd still be strong weapons, but nothing broken.

Even at -1 on the table and AP -, they would eliminate vehicles, superheavies, etc like crazy.

Even at -1 on the table and AP -, they would eliminate vehicles, superheavies, etc like crazy.

Look at it. You've got to hit as normal. On the chart, 1/3 of the shots don't do anything, and 2/3 inflict a 4-6 HP. Normal saves allowed. D weapons are specifically listed as being saved against the hits, not the wounds/HP damage.

Melta guns hit as normal. Depending on the target, they can auto glance and pen with average die rolls on even land raiders (7 is average for two dice). On the chart, 1-4 is 1 HP and 5-6 is 2-4 HP against super heavies. For a super easy to acquire weapon, that really is downright impressive.

So, just comparing the two. Your -1 on the chart and ap- D weapon is going to be more impressive if it rolls 3+ on the D chart. The melta gun will be more impressive with 1-2 on the damage chart.

Besides, super heavies (and normal vehicles) should be protected by the rest of the army. Lots of ways to protect them, especially if the eldar enemies have really short range (like they do). A super heavy should not win the game by itself.

I will also note that it is not GW rules that limit LoW at 0-1, so having weapons which balance the super heavy cheese is not entirely unreasonable for GW to add to the game.

I understand why players that want to play with a limited number of detachments and hard caps on types unit, would be annoyed with this codex, but the rest of the players, the ones playing the game that GW is selling, should find man-portable D weapons to be nothing new or overly difficult to cope with.

I understand why players that want to play with a limited number of detachments and hard caps on types unit, would be annoyed with this codex, but the rest of the players, the ones playing the game that GW is selling, should find man-portable D weapons to be nothing new or overly difficult to cope with.

Name one player who plays 40k by the rulebook alone.

• Like 1

Name one player who plays 40k by the rulebook alone.

That would the entire GG league. Joel is very insistent.

As for the D weapons, maybe context important:

Example, bike armies. In regard to 1-wound bikers. Melta guns hit as normal, wound on 2+ and deny armor. An AP1 D weapon with -1 on the table, will hit as normal, wound on 3+ and deny FNP+Armor saves. They still have jink. If ap-, they actually only deny FNP, making them much weaker than melta guns against most opponents.

Again, recall that D weapons save vs the hits, not the d3+3 wounds/HP.

How in the name of all that is holy would having MORE detachments and no hard caps not also help the Eldar dex?  

Which is more powerful?  

6 units of 10 jetbikes or 12 units of 5 jetbikes?  

Whatever additional restrictions are on the game (or not) will STILL favor the units that are already good.  

That would the entire GG league. Joel is very insistent.

Really? Mysterious Objectives; Terrain using the datasheets in the book; Roll for Night Fighting/Choose Night Fighting; Unrestricted list creation; Unbound; Exact measurement of vanguard strike; Random deployment zones; Terrain setup at start of game, not presetup.

I highly doubt it.