Codex Eldar confirmed

pretre

I REALLY love the Eldar formation as well since the bonus to all units is, IMO, better than ob sec on just the troops.  Always counting as running 6" is HUGE.  Especially in conjunction with battle focus.

VERY reliable in terms of getting around the board.  

The changes to banshees makes them pretty decent at counter assault.  Not sure if worth 15 pts though, but being able to charge 2d6+3" and ignoring cover on the charge is awesome.  

IMO, D weapons are really only at their peak against Monstrous Creatures, as S10 AP1 is about as likely to one-shot a vehicle. 

That isn't true at all. The difference between S10 AP1 and SD against any kind of vehicle target short of AV10 Open-Topped is IMMENSE. Str D guns will deal severe damage to a Land Raider (or other tough target) on a 2+ on the dice, whereas Str 10 has a pretty good chance of plinking off a lot of targets or causing a minimal damage result.

That isn't true at all. The difference between S10 AP1 and SD against any kind of vehicle target short of AV10 Open-Topped is IMMENSE. Str D guns will deal severe damage to a Land Raider (or other tough target) on a 2+ on the dice, whereas Str 10 has a pretty good chance of plinking off a lot of targets or causing a minimal damage result.

Sure sure, yes, D is substantially better against high AV units and what not, and the D3 hull points is totes obvs better than just one, but the difference COMPARATIVELY between the advantages of hitting a vehicle with high S low AP and destroyer compared to the differences of effect on MCs is bigger.  

You CANNOT one shot an MC with any weapons that don't have Instant Death attached to them somehow, and you CAN do that to vehicles.  

Assuming a D weapon comes with AP2, they still need to average about 2 hits to take out a land raider, yes?  A 6 wound model like a wraithknight would need about 3 hits from a D weapon and about 7 hits from something S10 and at least AP3.  

Typically they will require multiple hits, yes, although even a Land Raider with every protection in the world can be one-shotted by a Str D gun pretty easily. MCs are, of course, comparatively more vulnerable to Str D hits, but it's also worth noting that it is a lot easier to get protection (in the form of cover and invulnerable saves) for a MC- rare will be the Land Raider benefiting from a 3++ save.

The point is especially salient when talking about HP3 vehicles, which can pretty easily die to almost ANY hit from a Str D gun even if the dread 6 isn't rolled, whereas almost no MCs will ever do so.

But really, the point is that the difference between Str 10 APwhatever and Str D is enormous. It's not like going up by one Strength anywhere else on the chart, but rather is an entirely new level of firepower.

• Like 1

S10 ap1 is not as impressive as S8 ap1 melta against land raiders.

Dunno why, but S10 tends to roll 3 for armor pen....

I run land raiders a bunch and D weapons are not any larger threat than melta already is. And melta is dirt cheap. If the eldar player wants to waste their points on D weapons instead of taking fire dragons, that's their call.

As fluger stated, the D weapons are stronger against T6+ creatures, multi-wound models, and FNP reliant models/units.

The armies hosed by D weapons are armies which are all of the above three, like MC heavy tyranids. They are the ones largely affected by D weapons. 

I remember my experience of my first game with rhino rush ba along with death company. I never could afford tanks so I did indeed put starcannons on everything. It was still brutal. The worst part was watching a marine get up after you believed you had killed it. To this day I hate things that have fnp or just necrons period. Eldar are surgical so when things don't truly die it throws me for a loop.

• Like 1

It is not like people were throwing g around S10 AP1 everywhere.

I don't think my codex (Blood Angels) has any.

and the only one in the marine dex (occasional allies) is a one use orbital bombardment.

and other than a few tau tanks, the old WK, and warp lance, what was S10 AP1?

That BA codex is without any of the fun toys that most books have. It really is a very basic marine codex.

That said, S10 ap1 is also uncommon.

S10 ap2, is easy enough for marines to acquire, even BA. That is a power fist and a psyker with hammerhand (which is santic daemonology). The Vindicator would be the Ranged equivalent, being S10 ap2 Ordnance Large blast.

AP1 is easy for marines to obtain too, that would be melta bombs and melta guns.