Codex Eldar confirmed

pretre

This is where a codex being two books would matter.

page 118 discusses factions.

The notable feature is that Eldar is a faction, while codex harlequin and codex craftworld are not (unless their books say otherwise), as they are not "older publications."

As written, a CAD or allied detachment can include unit selections by faction, not by codex/book. This also means that allied detachments from the same faction are invalid options.

Well Harlequins and Craftwords are both the "Eldar" faction. As they are both marked "Codex: Eldar" the addition of "Craftworlds" and "Harelquins" just denote which type of Eldar they are.

Well how about there are some more options that take far less skill to execute due to power granted by rules from the codex. Kind of a point and click adventure really. The options all seen fairly easy and you don't have to invest too much time in noticing some obvious choices. I think when you can avoid synergy as eldar it has gotten too powerful and that is what this book seems to have done. When you can just slap down a few basic units and have half a brain it shouldn't sadly challenge an average list so easily. At least when given the potential of the book alone that seems to be the case.

I have always liked Eldar best but it is hard for me not to want to field scatter bikes of doom. I will use magnets to create armies that can have more depth/enjoyable for friends. My goal is to avoid most vehicles and play as much flesh over steel as is logical.

I've heard the misfortune argument regarding those bikes and AV 14. Do the eldar have the means to prevent you from denying misfortune?

It is a malediction, so I should be able to apply any adamantium will or psychic levels that my AV14 (or AV13) target has (or counts as having for deny rolls).

Seems like the scatter lasers could be dealt with, even if it requires a rather strong defense. Do the eldar have alternate means to damage AV13-14 via the scatter lasers?

All armies have building access, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable for eldar players to field the scatter spam if viable defenses exist and are just not being fielded.

EDIT: I know scatter lasers are by far, not the only threat in the new eldar codex. I'm specifically addressing the scatter bikes.

So the scatter bikes torrent things with str 6, and the things you fill your elites slots with kills what str 6 can't. Just looking for things that can deal with less than half of an armies' point allotment in a vacuum isn't relevant. So, yeah, scatter bikes wouldn't be an issue in the least if they didn't have access to squads in which every member of the squad is carrying d weapons/meltaguns in the elites section, that may be short ranged but have access to one of the more resilient transports in the game which also happens to be a fast skimmer.

Less than half their point allotment? Really? In a vacuum? I'm sorry but no this is wishful thinking. Being able to just take a shot at most things in the game is going to be a pain. If you can roll a bucket of dice against most targets and yes str 6 hurts MOST targets it is good in or outside of a vacuum.

Someone needs to write up some power lists, so we can see what we're dealing with.

See how 'wraithboned' we really are :p

Well, to start, run a CAD with 6 units of 6 windrider jet bikes, with scatter lasers as troop choices.  For 972 points you have six of the fastest objective secured troops in the game, who are pumping out 144 Str6 shots a turn at 36" and BS4.  You still have nearly half your points to spend on other stuff.

I'm still curious as to 'actual' list structures, we know the bikes are amazeballz :)

While I definatly appreciate all the shooting potential, having it mounted on obsec units that (in general) have to move toward the enemy to claim objectives could be problematic.

Couple that with all the other factors in the game (objective placement, available terrain, intelligent deployment, enemy alpha strike, ect), simply having 'The best troops ever' will not win you games.

I want to see the rest of the list before I turn on 'sky is falling' mode :)

Well, to start, run a CAD with 6 units of 6 windrider jet bikes, with scatter lasers as troop choices.  For 972 points you have six of the fastest objective secured troops in the game, who are pumping out 144 Str6 shots a turn at 36" and BS4.  You still have nearly half your points to spend on other stuff.

See, that's my point. If Eldar are bringing 972pts of S6 shooty bikers, the AV13-14 transports (including buildings) start looking very viable.

Wow,I really thought GW was heading in the right direction over the last 18 mos but this is just full frontal dumb.

This game is in dire need of a comp system like fantasy(nearly impossible,I know),or perhaps multiple play formats.Anyhow,thats another topic...

This is just one army with a very solid choice. You just get more than what you pay for when using them.

Where I struggle is choosing the right overall combo as a whole that pleases my eye. I'm struggling to fight amazeballs units vs oh that looks cool on the board. I want a super fast list but units like striking scorpions are looking more fun than ever. I also have been eyeballing some reapers which has always been a fav unit since I was a kid but haven't made the cut in 2 editions.

Like I said before, this book is just like chaos dwarves everything is good so what do you want and why. You can't really go wrong except to pick units that suck visually to your personal taste.

The other bit is that while they'll be 144 S6 shots, they're going to be snapping most of the time, just because jink is so mandatory to keeping them alive. It's still a very impressive torrent of fire, but BS 1 is what the unit will likely be at for most of the game.

Then you stick a warlock upgrade in each one with the primaris power and the unit is shrouded.  Even without jink they now have 5+ cover, and if they're in terrain (easy to do), they're up to a 3+ cover minimum and at full BS.  The unit will never need to jink.

So, does the above 972pts include this?