Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Pondering on it some more, I'm leaning towards: soak quartz in water and scrub sediments off, break quartz into smaller pieces, add quartz to muriatic acid from Wal Mart, soak for 3 days, rinse quartz in distilled water, then let soak in distilled water for a week changing water once or twice, transfer supernate to a beaker and boil off the acid into condensing line leaving me with iron oxide for rust effects, take the now hopefully free of solvent quartz pieces and crush them into white silca sand for basing minis.

😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

One thousand and 10 years, 1 month and one day before superbowl LIV was the date 01011010.

That's binary for Z. Z for zombie!

Coincidence?! I think not!

I have a sneaking suspicion that your dodgy math didn't account for leap year, leap century, or the conversion from Gregorian back to Julian to account for pre16th century time keeping.

• Like 1

The Iranian calendar has been “corrected” multiple times during its history to suit political and religious purposes. The Achaemenid Empire changed it, Cyrus the Great changed it when he conquered them, Alexander the Great changed it a few centuries later when he conquered the region, the Arsacid dynasty changed it when they took over, and round about 900 BCE the Muslims changed the date of the the new year, then around 1000 CE they completely scrapped the system... Until 1925 CE when the Pahlavi dynasty adopted a new solar calendar.

The year also ends and begins at the midnight nearest to the instant of the vernal equinox as determined by astronomical observations. Which means that there necessarily must be differences between the length of years, both due to compounding observational error and the earth’s ever changing orbit.

Any calendar system based on orbital mechanics be it solar, lunar, sidereal, or some combination thereof, is going to have to have “leap days” or even “leap seconds” somewhere in it... or it’s eventually going to crash. The universe persists in not operating according to our time tables.

This is why we should all just say “to heck with it” and use the British Regnal year dating system. I hope you all are having a pleasant Day 38 68 Eliz. 2 – 69 Eliz. 2! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Gathering

They're both Hasbro properties. No rights issues. Both settings are already part of multiverses with all kinds of variations. And Jace and Twilight would probably be adorably nerdy.

I always found it odd that the My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria roleplaying game* was published by River Horse and not Wizards of the Coast... Hasbro owns WotC. Hasbro owns MLP. Seems like a natural pairing.

* It is actually a pretty good system, by the way, with no less than Alessio Cavatore as lead designer.

• Like 1