The Age of Sigmar begins...

It's from mikhaila, who is a big store owner in Pennsylvania. About as reliable as they come... Unless his sources are lying to him.

Oh AWESOME! Mik is definitely a good source from what I've seen, so that bodes well!

There seems to be this current 'feeling' from a few folks on Dakka that GW would never make a rules-set that included both skirmish and mass-battles rules, and that hoping for such a thing was stupid.

Boy would I love for those fellas to be wrong. ;)

Same source:

How reliable is that source?...cuz that rumor has "My Wish list" as a title.

Im actually pretty stunned that they pulled the army books,its clear now that 8th is no longer supported even though it was a very strong ruleset,,that's just sad.

Im sure it will still be played here and there but I don't see myself investing in it anymore mainly as I only know a few of the armies and still had a lot to learn on the road to being a competitive player in that rule set.

Even if the new rule set scales as many hope it does,I don't see it being a very deep system as GW has pretty much set the tone for a more "Beginning" level approach to this reboot.I suppose its also possible that the new game will in fact scale to large battles complete with a streamlined rule set in order to compete with Kings of War,in which case im sure it will get some looks but Mantic`s system will probably have the edge initially at least due to being more seasoned.

Another concern that I have is that its approaching the two week mark until preorders of an entire new rule book for WHFB players and there is still not even the slightest hint as to any rules or how this new game is going to play..to me that says its lame and they are holding back till the last minute in hopes of getting as many uninformed buyers to pay for preorders as possible.Im pretty certain that if they believed they had a hot product ready to server they would be "leaking" all sorts of features of it by now to wip up the hype.

• Like 1

How reliable is that source?...cuz that rumor has "My Wish list" as a title.

Im actually pretty stunned that they pulled the army books,its clear now that 8th is no longer supported even though it was a very strong ruleset,,that's just sad.

Im sure it will still be played here and there but I don't see myself investing in it anymore mainly as I only know a few of the armies and still had a lot to learn on the road to being a competitive player in that rule set.

Even if the new rule set scales as many hope it does,I don't see it being a very deep system as GW has pretty much set the tone for a more "Beginning" level approach to this reboot.I suppose its also possible that the new game will in fact scale to large battles complete with a streamlined rule set in order to compete with Kings of War,in which case im sure it will get some looks but Mantic`s system will probably have the edge initially at least due to being more seasoned.

Another concern that I have is that its approaching the two week mark until preorders of an entire new rule book for WHFB players and there is still not even the slightest hint as to any rules or how this new game is going to play..to me that says its lame and they are holding back till the last minute in hopes of getting as many uninformed buyers to pay for preorders as possible.Im pretty certain that if they believed they had a hot product ready to server they would be "leaking" all sorts of features of it by now to wip up the hype.

Same here, RCN. Especially that last paragraph.

It sounds like this will be one of the biggest departures from the 'norm' that GW has taken for one of their two flagships. It just 'sounds' pretty drastic, yet we're less than a month away and we're still clawing for hints and comments and rumors and bits of info from store-owners.

Aren't GW themselves excited about this? Why aren't we, as customers, SEEING that?

So far, the 'excitement' has been - "Take down your 8th edition books". (/throws confetti).

• Like 1

Hastings confirmed many of these rumours, so it lends them slightly more credence (I'm feeling 60-40 right now). The fluff changes at least sound pretty cool.

As for the rest, I would hazard that GW is keeping things under wraps until people have an actual chance to see the rulebooks. Leaking changes prematurely will just lead to people equally prematurely making sweeping assumptions and staying away from the product as a result. If they can hold off until the product actually hits, we can see things for what it is and make a determination on the merits.

Basically, they don't want us dismissing things before they actually come about.

KM I agree.  I also think that it makes sense for them to keep 9th edition WFB under wraps for as long as possible, so that customers don't pass right over AoS without looking at it.  How easy would it be to skip AoS if you knew 9th was coming in Dec?  Vs how much more likely are you to give it a try if it might be (as far as you know) the next "main game" for your little men?

Just speculating but there has to be a reason we aren't hearing about a mass-battle game update... unless GW really loves Alessio and wants Kings of War to finally take hold :)

• Like 1

They're all rumors until there are pictures.

The difference is that when some rumor mongers say things you know that it is probably a good source (Sad Panda, Darnok, Lords of Wargaming). Others say things and you might have well have asked your cat (Steve the Warboss, Natfka, BOLS).

What is their incentive? If they are truly pushing a new game, then there is no reason to reveal ahead of time. Lots of people are going to assume it is "9th edition". All that will do is rile people up. Might as well let them stew and think about it, then know and decide one way or the other. They are basically keeping you interested up until it is released.

What is their incentive? If they are truly pushing a new game, then there is no reason to reveal ahead of time. Lots of people are going to assume it is "9th edition". All that will do is rile people up. Might as well let them stew and think about it, then know and decide one way or the other. They are basically keeping you interested up until it is released.

There incentive is to drive sales when it releases. There's a reason companies do previews, provide release lists, etc.

Heck, look to WOTC for how this is done. They interact with the community constantly, provide release dates significantly in the future, release card pictures before the street date, etc. It only drives even more desire for their product.

• Like 1

What's all this talk about army books being pulled? Where are they being pulled from?

You mean this?,

"This product will be removed from sale on June 26th. The Age of Sigmar is coming!"

Yeah..8th is officially no more,well no longer supported that is.

Im rather put off about that as well.It leads me to believe that the new game system will be so different that they couldn't ease us into it using the older army books,that or its the army consolidations that caused them to rework the books.Either way its looking like new rule and army books all around!....yeah if the new game system isint fail.

I personally believe that the new rules will be similar to what 8th was,at least as far as the unit stat system goes.If its true about the 3 forms of unit status mentioned in the latest rumors then that in itself would actually complicate the current 8th edition rules if it were simply added in,so that leads me to believe that they will be simplifying other things like CR and probably movement/wheeling and stuff like that.Basically,I think GW does want to move the game toward a 40k`ish type game with probably a deeper melee system than 40k has but will also need to make sure that the shooting doesn't take over the game.

Anyhow,,thats my wishfull thinking,heh