The Age of Sigmar begins...

This looks like 4th edition D&D. It looks cute on paper but as that pic you posted points out there is some game envy going on. The can't beat um join philosophy doesn't always work. I'll wait for a piazo to step in and show them that you don't just crap on the formula because YOU want change. These pics say warmachine to me.

I love warmachine fluff and models and I have owned two massive armies before but the gameplay is lacking. If the game is fun I will play. If not fantasy will sit on a shelf until poor sales drive them to make sensical decisions.

I'm pretty sure it was poor sales of Fantasy that drove them to this decision.

• Like 1

I think your record is still something like 99.99%, Pretre. Pretty hard to fool you.

Amusingly enough, my rumor record is 0% though:

pretre - Total rumors: (0 TRUE) / (1 FALSE) / (0 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE

GW General Rumors - July 2014
They aren't going back to metal... sigh. 

Picture of Starter Set FALSE

• Like 2

AoS may or may not be a good game.  But I don't understand why people assume it's replacing WFB?

I would bet even money today that there will be a 9th ed WFB.  My reasoning is simple: why would GW continue to make Fantasy models, and yet open the door wide for another rule set to step in and fill the large-scale battle void?  They'd just be giving away a business for no reason.  I'm sure there are a lot of aspiring rules writers who would *love* to re-write WFB and have all the models done for free.

That, and there is a great and simple explanation for their silence on 9th ed., which is that they don't want people to pass over AoS and just wait for 9th.  It's going to work (at least somewhat) because I know I'm not the only one who will buy the AoS rulebook(s) just to see what's what, whereas if I had 9th edition to read in a few months I might not bother with AoS at all.

Anyway, I just don't believe GW would simply scrap their WFB rules and replace them with a smaller scale game... there's just no good reason for them to do that.

• Like 4

AoS may or may not be a good game.  But I don't understand why people assume it's replacing WFB?

I would bet even money today that there will be a 9th ed WFB.  

I'll bet you a dollar (to be picked up at OFCC) that either AoS is 9th edition or it is the starter set for 9th edition.

• Like 1

I'll bet you a dollar (to be picked up at OFCC) that either AoS is 9th edition or it is the starter set for 9th edition.

Wait, if AoS is the starter set for 9th edition, then I'd be right in what I was willing to bet on, as there would be a 9th edition (a large-scale fantasy game to replace 8th edition WFB).  Are you trying to trick me into betting against myself?! :)

Wait, if AoS is the starter set for 9th edition, then I'd be right in what I was willing to bet on, as there would be a 9th edition (a large-scale fantasy game to replace 8th edition WFB).  Are you trying to trick me into betting against myself?! :)

I thought you were trying to say AOS is separate from WFB? Now I'm just cornfused.

• Like 1

So, we're just going to stay with 8th edition, right?  :wink:

I kid, I kid. Still reserving final judgement until the rules come out. Chaos stuff looks good, and the one thing I will say about the Sigmar stuff, even though nothing about them screams "Warhammer Fantasy" to me, is that it definitely screams "Games Workshop," although maybe a little "Privateer Press" too. Certainly going to be a lot harder to find alternative miniatures to use with your "not-space-marines gold lightning angel knights" army, so in that respect GW has succeeded. Still, as a guy who is looking at playing Empire (...Sigmarites?), this has got be a bit worried. But again, will wait for the rules to come out before I make any final decisions.  

If nothing else, you guys are more than welcome to come bring your old square bases and push them around Mordheim with me, heh.