Tempting Kickstarters

dkieft

I took a look at Conan, and sadly I have to pass. I had it on my Watch list, and did the math on Monday. To get all of the content addons (just content) you are looking at 500+ and paying for shipping on top of that.

After the debacle that MYTH was, I learned to hold off when the cost gets that high. Kingdom Death: Monster was also very high in cost, I hope that one does not burn me as it looks very cool.

• Like 1

I took a look at Conan, and sadly I have to pass. I had it on my Watch list, and did the math on Monday. To get all of the content addons (just content) you are looking at 500+ and paying for shipping on top of that.

After the debacle that MYTH was, I learned to hold off when the cost gets that high. Kingdom Death: Monster was also very high in cost, I hope that one does not burn me as it looks very cool.

How bad was MYTH?  I backed and have finally received all my stuff, but I don't really pay attention to the timing of kickstarters any more.  I think the worst kickstarter that I've heard of is Dust Studios.

You have an EXCELLENT point Mr. JMGraham

To be honest, the Delay was not a problem for me. Like many Kickstarters the project grew in size very quickly. The problem I had was how they handled the problems and questions. The MYTH crew had a "Just be happy your getting anything" point of view. The rulebook was written so badly that Boardgamegeek said the game is unplayable in its released state. Most of the cards in the game have typos or just wrong information on them. When pressed for a reprint, they said you can have a PDF. MYTH was not a cheap backing, so this very much felt like being blown off.

I did sit down with a very good friend of mine and tried to muscle though the rules, and we had a very rough go at it. TO put something in to perspective, my friend Dante has over 1000 boardgames (really, really) and he Demo's games for AEG during PAX. If he has a hard time with the rules, they are really bad.

MYTH was just to far from a finished product when they released it. And unlike a video game, its hard to Patch.

• Like 2

I saw MYTH marked down at my FLGS and did a little research - sounds like it's a hot mess rules-wise, which is sad. The minis look pretty cool.

The game is a great frame work and the updates available on their website make it much better but the narrative and extremely different "turn" structure make it a slog to learn for experienced gamers. Surprisingly easier if you don't have deep seeded experience, or can just let go a bit.

Highly recommend it if you are a just wing it a little type but I'd avoid it if any in your group are prone to knife edge walking close to abusing the rules as written. It is very Co op based down to the fact that all the Heroes share a turn, this is where aggressive play style can much things up.

This needs massive cooperation from the players and the rules do not support any friendly rivalry type stuff as the phases are so fluid.

• Like 1

I was really excited at first, I thought they were going to send you little samples of hot sauces to rate, to create your taste profile with empirical data instead of ratings divorced from tasting. Speaking of which, if anyone ever wants to do something like what I just described, I'm your data analysis guy.

Still, it looks like an admirable endeavor. I wish them luck!

• Like 1

Actually intrizic I'd wager you are missing some skeletons and various captains from myth... Unless they like you better than me! I passed on Conan and while the Ghostbusters had me Squeee I'm not backing yet. I might have to cash in some chips with the missus, depends on if I bonus enough in February at work...

Update time, totally backing this. I like how they have refused to be cowed by the success and they haven't gone super crazy trying to "over come" the mid kickstarter lull. They are sticking to the plan they have and the pledges keep chugging right along.

Yay Ghostbusters!

• Like 1

To be honest, the Delay was not a problem for me. Like many Kickstarters the project grew in size very quickly. The problem I had was how they handled the problems and questions. The MYTH crew had a "Just be happy your getting anything" point of view. The rulebook was written so badly that Boardgamegeek said the game is unplayable in its released state. Most of the cards in the game have typos or just wrong information on them. When pressed for a reprint, they said you can have a PDF. MYTH was not a cheap backing, so this very much felt like being blown off.

I did sit down with a very good friend of mine and tried to muscle though the rules, and we had a very rough go at it. TO put something in to perspective, my friend Dante has over 1000 boardgames (really, really) and he Demo's games for AEG during PAX. If he has a hard time with the rules, they are really bad.

MYTH was just to far from a finished product when they released it. And unlike a video game, its hard to Patch.

Thank you for the feedback Blasto

LeL, speaking of Myth, I JUST got a box of lieutenants from them :D 

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback Blasto

LeL, speaking of Myth, I JUST got a box of lieutenants from them :D

I love that I'm a big fan of the game and still don't have my final box of goodies yet :(. Oh well I bought a second kickstarter set from somebody and got theirs already. Yay for being at the end of the alphabet I bet

• Like 1