Tempting Kickstarters

dkieft

• 2 weeks later...

I was tempted by Rum and Bones, but what caused me not to back was this.

Cool Mini has now produced quite a few games to market. They now have the overhead to actually fund this project all on their own. They are using Kickstarter to just take pre-orders, cut out the local game store, and charge retailer prices (plus shipping).

I've chosen not to back Cool Mini in future Kickstarters. I feel Kickstarter should be for those who are unable to fund project by normal means. Look up the game Xia, this is a perfect example of what Kickstarter was meant for (and is a very fun game).

Blasto

• Like 1

For the majority of games now, that's all Kickstarter is.  It's why my company offers a dealer level when they do them.  I'd like it if it were more true labors of love, but yes, Cool Mini is selling directly.  But since they have a wide user base, and can get people product for slightly less than it would be in a store (with more goodies) why not?  I'd agree, several companies seem to not really need Kickstarter, but there are the ones that still do it.  The funny thing is that on the flip side, a lot of backers of games don't want it unless it looks entirely complete, which is difficult to do for the smaller labor of love type things.  For instance, a game we were kickstarting we sunk over $40k into and that doesn't even touch printing costs. One nice thing about Cool Mini though, is they're very good at hitting targeted ship dates.  It's probably because most of the stuff is entirely done they're just waiting to push the print button.

If you want to see the ones that are trying to create hype, look at any project that has less than say, $70,000 for it's goal.  If it's a miniature game they're only doing it for pre-sales unless there are some other extenuating circumstances (i.e. they do their own manufacturing in metal, or it's using pre-existing molds).

However, the one I backed which I think was posted earlier is this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/701653685/fireteam-zero-0?ref=nav_search

It looks nifty, and is well funded.  I should have some good times with my friends.

Von Vikee, if I'm around during OFCC, I'll most certainly play you if it's out and we can see if it's worth the hype!

• Like 2

Should be set to ship for my Kickstarter tomorrow or Friday. I'm super motivated (for tax purposes) to get everything shipped before the new year, and I'd love for folks to have resin terrain goodness in their hands for Christmas!

Hey Yarb, check your front door! 126 packages in transit, 6 out for delivery, and 2 delivered (including yours, Yarb!).

• Like 1

Just so you know, Derk, yours was snuggled up next to Burk's throughout most of it's lifetime. On the packing floor, in my van, on the hand-cart at the post office. That's right:

Your package was totally touching Burk's package. Spooning it, even. 

Didn't plan it that way. Sometimes those things just happen.

• Like 3

Worldsmith Industries delivers!!!!

Came home to find my stuff, including a free Warhamsters shot glass for drowning my sorrows when I realize how much cooler Jim is than me!

Also, there was a slight aroma of Burk on my box making all the sweeter!

... that was Burk wasn't it?

• Like 2