Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Anyone dislike mad max? I have only heard absurd praise on this board for it. Mind you, it deserves every bit and your a terrible person if you didn't like it. ;)

Night at the museum 3, 2/5 just not sure why they keep making these.

Pitch perfect 2 was disappointed, really like the first. This was filled with more dumb humor, and plot was extremely petty. 3/5

Pound of flesh. Van Damme is old, and his accent has become more annoying. 1-5 couldn't finish.

Sharks of the lost ark 1-5. Megaladon in the lake, and terrible cg. Didn't even try

Anyone dislike mad max? I have only heard absurd praise on this board for it. Mind you, it deserves every bit and your a terrible person if you didn't like it. ;)

I liked it - but not near as much as everyone else did, apparently. I gave it an 8/10, the lowest score on the forum so far, I think. :)

-Tim

Seventh Son - 7/10 - I thought it was an interesting movie... but it made some jumps and assumptions that left you asking questions... Good movie, it was exactly what I hoped it to be, just surprised at some of the leaps it took.

Watched it after this review. 1/10 for me. It's probably a very good book, but the plot just jumps around from cliche fantasy subplot to the next with a rushed pace. Maybe there's a director's cut that's awesome, but this one just hops around too much to be enjoyable.

Example, old guy shows up at their farm and demands their seventh son. The farmers to not even question why a 7th son of a 7th son would be special. The movie does not explain, they just assume you've watched other fantasy movies and understand that dynamic. The son is bought and they go along their journey. This is probably a really well written chapter in the book, but it makes for a horrid movie scene. Entire movie feels poorly stitched together.

The CGI is awesome, but a pretty movie is not a good movie. They even did a good job with the four armed swordsman CGI, avoiding making the 2 extra arms seem redundant, but actually fighting as if trained using 4 at once. I really wish they fleshed out some of their characters, as they clearly had some interesting visual concepts which they didn't bother explaining.

Apparently a bunch of misogynists dislike it because it has women with major roles, and I've heard from a couple of people who it was just too intense for, but other than that, not that I know of.

Example, old guy shows up at their farm and demands their seventh son. The farmers to not even question why a 7th son of a 7th son would be special. The movie does not explain, they just assume you've watched other fantasy movies and understand that dynamic.

The 7th son of a 7th son thing isn't just from fantasy movies/novels. It's a bit of folklore that goes back pretty much as far as we have recorded evidence, across a great many cultures. Assuming people know about it isn't much more of a stretch than assuming they know what a vampire or a werewolf is.

• Like 2

The 7th son of a 7th son thing isn't just from fantasy movies/novels. It's a bit of folklore that goes back pretty much as far as we have recorded evidence, across a great many cultures. Assuming people know about it isn't much more of a stretch than assuming they know what a vampire or a werewolf is.

I pretty much took it that the family knew what it meant, and that was good enough for me. :)

I thought it was an ok movie, myself, I would have given it a 5/10 probably. I loved Jeff Bridge's character, and I was surprised they got him and Julianne Moore to do it. I know it was at least delayed for a full year so they could go back and re-do the FX, but those turned out fine, as Pax mentioned. There were some 'shake your head' moments, of course. I loved the boggart, and I just wish that Tom Barnes and Kit Harrington had their roles reversed, and I think it would have been a lot better.  :)

Popcorn fun.

But in every vampire or werewolf TV show or movie, they explain the concept if it is central to the plot.

Anyway, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Book is "The Spook's Apprentice"  which Wikipedia sums up like this:

The Spook's Apprentice (American title: The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch), written by Joseph Delaney, is the first story in the series "The Wardstone Chronicles". The plot is centred on a 12-year-old farm boy named Tom who lives in the countryside of The County, loosely based on the English county of Lancashire, where the author resides[1] with his large family. As Tom is the seventh son of a seventh son he is able to see things others cannot, such as boggarts, ghasts, ghosts and others, which is traditional in the County.

In this short blurb, they explained far more of the plot than I grasped from that entire movie. Heck, him being 12 makes so much more sense.

Jurassic World - 7/10

Pretty much what I expected, which also made it feel very deja-vu, since a lot of the action happens in areas we've all seen before.

Still, the FX are awesome - mind-blowing in the early 90's, still decent today - and Howard/Pratt make a pretty good team, in my book.

Lots of things that happened made me scratch my head, though, but there were a couple nice, tense moments as you'd expect.

Overall, good popcorn fun, but not as fun (to me) as Mad Max or Avengers 2.

-Tim

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Chappie

4/5

I really like the director, his style is very engaging. And it was awesome to see the most popular rap duo from South Africa act. Daddy Ninja and Mommie Yolanda did a great job. I really was worried about Chappie's well being.

Finally saw two movies that I have been waiting for.

Fury Road: 9.5/10    Awesome flick, I would watch it every day if I had the time and the cash.  It would get a full 10, but there are occasional moments that I had to suspend so much belief in reality that it took me out of the experience. 

Jurassic World  8/10     Finally, a Jurassic park sequel that wasn't a sad letdown!  I wasn't big on the female lead, but it's because I'm not real big on the actress.   The tiny sub-plot of the kid's parents getting divorced was useless to the story, and added what was essentially unneeded emotional baggage.  The science I will overlook, because dinosaurs.  Definitely worth seeing, will end up getting it for home when it comes out.

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Jurassic world 2/5

Wow what a let down. The fact the female lead ran from a T. rex in heels was the final straw. I think that illustrates the kind of details they were peddling in this movie. Utter junk no intent to see again.