Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Watching it reminded me of when I watched Kung Fu Panda 2....so much quick little action scenes that look like a setup more for an upcoming video game, that the entire "let me build my friends some suits".... :rolleyes:

Yes, kung fu panda 2 certainly felt like a video game trailer.

I understand where you guys are coming from.  In many films I watch these days I can clearly see the 'video game' in the movie.  For me, it speaks to how closely related video games are story telling, especially as the technology gets better and better.  LOL the latest AAA game flop, and there's been a many of them lately, The Order 1886, was almost entirely story driven in cut scenes, broken up by rather short action sequences, but the vast majority of the game is cut scenes a.k.a. movies ;)

The Wages Of Fear :8/10: layabouts stuck in a nowhere south american town risk their lives carrying nitro across country to a oil well fire. a lot of Yves Montand being manly and French. No real backstory on the main characters but very good tense if a bit long movie.

YES!!!  One of my favorite movies with incredible tension delivered through atypical means. 

Young Detective Dee, Case of the Sea Dragon Something or Other.

6/10 in general, 9/10 in genre.

Wonderful fantasy Wuxia with magic and mutants and monsters, and the entire Imperial Court drinking bowls of pee. Decent effects, gorgeous visuals, and good fighting. Everything such a film should be.

• Like 1

Young Detective Dee, Case of the Sea Dragon Something or Other.

6/10 in general, 9/10 in genre.

Wonderful fantasy Wuxia with magic and mutants and monsters, and the entire Imperial Court drinking bowls of pee. Decent effects, gorgeous visuals, and good fighting. Everything such a film should be.

I love magic Kung-Fu movies, check out 'Into the West' and 'Kung-fu Hustle' if you haven't already

• Like 1

Colossus: The Forbin Project :8/10: This is one of my favorite brainy Sci-Fi films. Good late 60s cold war fear and paranoia shifted from the Ruskies to the Frankenstien monster. Forbin has created a giant computer named Colossus that monitors everything and it will automate the defense of the United States. Only a few minutes after they officialy turn on it reports that the Russians have one too and they both blackmail to be linked up with nuclear missile launches and mankind gets a world government it didn't ask for. This one does not have a happy ending though it is based on the first book of a trilogy which ends the same way. A good thoughtful movie that because of the time it was made the technology will look a bit hokey but they did a good job of making things look plausible for the time period it was made in.

• Like 1

I love magic Kung-Fu movies, check out 'Into the West' and 'Kung-fu Hustle' if you haven't already

Do you mean the current Journey To The West directed by Stephen Chow? It was good and new take on the story which I enjoyed quite a lot.

There are 4 Shaw Brothers films that stick to the written stories and are also well worth watching. Monkey Goes West, Princess Iron Fan, The Cave Of The Silken Web, and The Land Of Many Perfumes and thats less than a tenth of the full Journey To The West. If you are interested there is a modern translation in 4 hefty volumes that is quite good I am only halfway through the first of them and the first quarter to a third is the story of how Sun Wu Kong becomes immortal, makes war on heaven and gets imprisoned under a mountain.

Battle Wizard is just plain crazy Shaw Brothers kung fu fantasy fun.

• Like 1

Do you mean the current Journey To The West directed by Stephen Chow? It was good and new take on the story which I enjoyed quite a lot.

There are 4 Shaw Brothers films that stick to the written stories and are also well worth watching. Monkey Goes West, Princess Iron Fan, The Cave Of The Silken Web, and The Land Of Many Perfumes and thats less than a tenth of the full Journey To The West. If you are interested there is a modern translation in 4 hefty volumes that is quite good I am only halfway through the first of them and the first quarter to a third is the story of how Sun Wu Kong becomes immortal, makes war on heaven and gets imprisoned under a mountain.

Battle Wizard is just plain crazy Shaw Brothers kung fu fantasy fun.

<3

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've mentioned it before but...Bounty Killers (streaming on NetFlix btw) is a ton of fun!

Campy without being camp, plenty of action without being just a series of jerky images and strobe effects. It's a post apocalyptic, shoot-em-up with the perfect amount of comedy. Plus the main guy, has a gun caddy;)

Star trek: The Motion Picture.

Actually had to do a film analysis for school, so here:

1) Comprehend and Summarize: A new threat forces the retired Star Trek crew back into action. This new threat, an unknown entity of supreme size and power, challenges the patience of the Star Trek crew. They observe this strange entity only to learn that it is a living machine with the disposition of a child. The crew finds that this child-machine must be taught the ability to process beyond basic logic, to the illogical human emotions…to love.

2) Analyze: Movie is an elongated stretch of visuals, with very limited acting and dialogue. If broken down,

-Hero (Star Trek Crew)’s calling to action from their various retired states to address this new threat.

-Assessing the entity via trial and error, hypothesis to theory hacked to hypothesis again, and finally estabilishing the facts as they are.

-Situation concluded.

3) Infer: Film explores resisting human emotions while retaining human desires. In the early portion of the film, crew is attacked with a “lightning ball” and rather than responding with anger or fear, crew focuses hard on peaceful contact. In another instance, Kirk is challenged on his motives regarding getting himself back in command on the Starship Enterprise, and although he doesn’t yield the position, he does reflect on his own actions to see if he has his own vision impaired by his desire to be back on “his” bridge. And last, the living machine “throws a tantrum” during which Kirk orders the crew to respond as if it were a child, ignoring it’s anger until the emotion passes – once again, showing a logical response to an emotional situation so they can attain they’re desires.

4) Movie reminds me of an encounter with three inebriated individuals I met on the MAX. War veterans, brothers and very much intoxicated. I decided to engage them in conversation. I, like the enterprise crew in the film, attempted to forgo my own emotions regarding the situation in an attempt to both learn from, and gain from, this situation. In my case, I found myself arguing my point with 1 brother, while the other two defended me. This happened a few times, but with brothers changing roles. One in particular, had a tentancy to speak with his hands inches from my face in a very much invasive manner. This was not unlike when the Starship was attacked by the “unknown threat” which was really just annoyed because it couldn’t understand what the Star Trek Crew was attempting to communicate. In my sitation, we eventually got to the same page of understanding and departed as friends. I continued home and they continued bar hopping. In the movie, the living machine was finally able to deliver its message to humanity, despite many social issues in delivering it.

5) I’d rate it 4/5 in respects to being a high quality movie. The actors portrayed their characters well, the visuals were as required for the situation, and the writing presented a good story. Personally I think it is a 2/5 because it is far too slow a film. Easily half the film is watching dialogue-free visuals or watching actors watching the visuals. I think the dialogue-free visuals most certainly add to the film by setting a gentle pace and really allowing the audience to observe as the Star Trek Crew observes. That said, it remains just too slow to be thoroughly enjoyable. I understand that the story, acting and writing would suffer with a faster film, but I really didn’t enjoy the speed it progressed. A good movie to watch as a homework assignment, or while drugged up, not one to watch in free time expecting a good movie.

(Complete with annoying formating issues on MS word....)