Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Mad Max: Fury Road 8/10. A ton of fun especially if you enjoy the ultimate in 'car chase' scenes. Hardy did a pretty good job as Max, too, even some of the mannerisms from Mel's version.

All-in-all, if you go in expecting a popcorn-action-flick, it's a lot of fun! :)

The Warriors 7.5/10

A Youth Gang leader is assassinated while trying to unify the ghetto and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity to all the gangs.  Blame is placed on a Coney Island gang, The Warriors.  Can The Warriors make it back to the safety of the Sand before retribution is taken on the falsely accused?

I hadn't seen this before, and watched it a couple days ago.  This is one of the few films that lives up to its hype, despite being so tragically dated.  There are so many things wrong with the movie, but it is extremely fun to suspend your illusion of disbelief and run with it.  Swan getting the girl was pretty hokey.  The Lizzies were great.  This is one of my fav camp flicks, now.  If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and fix it.

• Like 3

Ex Machina - 8.5/10

I went in expecting a psych-thriller sci-fi or horror sci-fi...  It's squarely in the psych-thriller category.  It did not set up surprises so much as tell the story you expect and do it well.  Liked the writing, especially the little off-hand comments that rounded out the characters.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

First off, you guys need to STFU. I don't like going to the theater and paying to see films at such prices, and haven't since Ender's Game, but all ya'll are making me think I'll be seeing Fury Road on my weekend.

Bastards.

Ender's game I think was last movie I saw before Max, and believe me I thought it was well worth the $30 I paid to see it. I rarely go but damn this was worth it.

Yes warriors is amazing I revisit it once a year.

Ex-machina was very much a great psycho thriller. I give 8/10. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love small cast films as it is requires strong character development.

• Like 1

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 6.5/10 

I'm sure that this doesn't really strike anyone as odd coming from me, but I'll do my best to break it down without saying a whole lot. First off, much like the first film, there's a very silly deus ex machina.  The villain tries to be over the top (moving lips on a robot... really?), but it just seems to fall short. Doesn't answer some questions from previous films, the mid-credits sequence really just brings up nerd rage for them trying to admit they screwed up allowing something in a previous movie and now trying to fix it.  I found that there were plenty of scenes that reminded me of Man of Steel with none of the nerd rage.  Fun movie, I munched my popcorn, but it certainly wasn't as good as the first Avengers.

Mad Max: Fury Road - 9/10

This one... wow.  Heart pounding, blood pumping action all the way through.  Just enough slow spots for you to catch your breath. The practical effects, the lack of massive amounts of CGI was very, very refreshing. I really enjoyed the style, the pacing and the camera work.  Some of the vehicle designs were so inventive. 

• Like 1

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 6.5/10 

I'm sure that this doesn't really strike anyone as odd coming from me, but I'll do my best to break it down without saying a whole lot. First off, much like the first film, there's a very silly deus ex machina.  The villain tries to be over the top (moving lips on a robot... really?), but it just seems to fall short. Doesn't answer some questions from previous films, the mid-credits sequence really just brings up nerd rage for them trying to admit they screwed up allowing something in a previous movie and now trying to fix it.  I found that there were plenty of scenes that reminded me of Man of Steel with none of the nerd rage.  Fun movie, I munched my popcorn, but it certainly wasn't as good as the first Avengers.

I thought Ultron was an interesting character in some ways, but he was very underwhelming as an antagonist for that group of heroes. Frankly, Scarlet Witch's brief moments of active antagonisting were more impressive and scary than everything Ultron did through the whole movie.

I don't think this one was really supposed to answer questions, tho. It's still just more setup.

• Like 2

hmmm its been awhile but ok...

Age of Ultron - 8/10 - was good and fun - just some meh in there that I didn't find that great.  - First one was better for sure.  This one was a good set up.

ExMechanica - 9/10 - perfect sci-fi Mind-F.  Great CGI… nicely done character dev.  Good acting for the most part.  Loved it.

Mad Max - Fury Road (story continuation) - 9.5/10 - loved it.  Perfect action flick going towards the summer.  Really hoping this isn't as good as it gets this movie/summer season.  But this sets the bar pretty high.

-d

The biggest question one might want answered is the transition between Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

I disagree.  I feel Tony's attitude at the end of 3, and the desires he expresses throughout the film build up great to him having his primary suit, the Iron Legion, and Veronica.  They bring up multiple times Bruce's involvement with Veronica and the Legion and Ultron.  

Okay, it just occurred to me that in Agents of SHIELD they address a few things as well, ultimately assembling the Avengers as a strike force again.  

So there are lots of answers out there, and accessible, if you treat the MCU like a comic or book series.

I actually really dislike that one must "fill the holes" with a TV show.  The movies cater to less hardcore fans, and therefore shouldn't require storytelling that comes up from questions in the film that they could simply answer in the films.  For instance, why didn't Tony Stark in the first Avengers find out that Hydra had taken over Shield  almost from the beginning and then why did they assemble the Avengers in the first place?

• Like 2

I think you have your events a wee bit confused.  

Captain America

Iron Man

Hulk

Thor

Iron Man 2

Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America 2

Avengers 2

The only thing that Agents did, like I said, was

having "top SHIELD brass" who are loyal, not Hydra, wonder what Coulson's "Theta Project" was.  When he finally tells everyone, it was that he was contacting the various Avengers to actually act as a team.  

At that point, I assume Coulson's involvement in Tony's rebuilding, but even if you leave Agents out of the mix, Tony and Bruce's budding bromance in Avengers leads into their full blown bromance with having the Iron Legion children and dreaming of when they'd have their baby Ultron.   

I don't have things confused, I merely put my things out of order during descriptions.  I'm well aware, however, I don't buy into the whole "Coulson/Fury/etc built the Avengers and such, it was too much of what I'd consider "retcon".

You don't 'buy' that Colson/Fury 'built' the Avengers in MCU? This was teased as an after-movie clip where Fury meets Stark - and says point blank that's precisely what he's doing, after Iron Man 1 (which pretty much started the current MCU on its current course). What is 'retcon' about that? Do you mean as opposed to the comic book version?

Avengers: Age of Ultron

This is a big movie. The cast is big, like the Longest Day big. With the exception of Coulson, Loki, Jane, and Pepper Potts, everybody is in this movie. The cast would seem to be cumbersome, but the direction keeps the movie humming between character development, action, running gags, and the plot.

If you are not a Marvel fan, this is not your movie.

If you are, it gives you everything you want, back story, one liners, character growth, psychological analysis, clever twists, and cool action scenes.

Marvel Fan 8.9/10

Not Marvel Fan 6.9/10

• Like 2

Actually, the thing I wanted most from it was Pietro making friends with Sam Wilson, and then doing the "on your left" thing to Steve every chance he got ;)

Yeah, I actually liked Quicksilver a lot more than I thought I would. The scene with him and Mjolnir? LOL.

I do have to wonder if Joss's direction he took with Quicksilver was influenced at all by the direction Quicksilver in X-Men:DoFP went. Quicksilver had, arguably, the best scene in DoFP, and I wonder if that factored at all into Joss's view for him (without giving away open spoilers or anything).

Anyway, having him to that 'On your left' to Steve would have been hilarious, indeed. :)

• Like 2

You don't 'buy' that Colson/Fury 'built' the Avengers in MCU? This was teased as an after-movie clip where Fury meets Stark - and says point blank that's precisely what he's doing, after Iron Man 1 (which pretty much started the current MCU on its current course). What is 'retcon' about that? Do you mean as opposed to the comic book version?

No, that's not the thing, yes, I know that they built the Avengers.  The question is, why, if Hydra had taken over Shield in the 50s was it allowed to happen?  According to my friends who are way more invested, Coulson, Fury and another agent, can't remember if it's the widow or Hill assembled them against Hydra's wishes.  Why assemble heroes that would be able to destroy you, and topple you?  They try to make the upper echelons of Hydra not quite as stupid as they are in the comic books after all.  Again, it's the same type of questions on things like why are they going for the infinity gauntlet when they show it in Odin's vault in the first movie, gems and all.

• Like 1