Rate the Last Movie You Saw

movies movies.

Mad Max, 9/10: went opening weekend and scored lots of cool points with the kid by taking him along. this is a big screen movie, much of the story telling is in the background and visuals. haven't seen such a great action film in a long time.

And one of the kids friends was over and he wanted to watch a horror film he brought.

Thir13en Ghosts: 5/10 : A remake of the William Castle classic 13 Ghosts. It was okay. Pretty CGI puzzle house but otherwise kinda meh. Tony Shalhoub was probably what saved the film from being worse. 

I will have to rent the original for the next time this kid visits as it is a much better film.

• Like 2

So on the 9 hour flight back from Paris, I watched FOUR movies!

Divergent; 8/10. Great concept, liked the character development.

Imitation Game; 10/10. Astonishing story about a great man doing amazing work, and being destroyed because of who he was...

Divergent: insurgence; 6/10. Not as good as the first,with some leaps that were just too big. I've not read the books, but seeing as parts 3 a and b are incoming I hope this recovers like the Mockingjay movies did.

Theory of Everything; 11/10. What if Turing had lived and had worked with Hawking? What could those two have achieved together!

• Like 2

Alright. I'll jump on this topic. Why not?

I have recently watched a ton of movies, so, bear with me.

CHAPPiE - 8/10. I loved the character development and the depth. And the name of the movie is badass. :)

Big Hero 6 - 10/10. I honestly could watch this movie forever. It was amazing.

Howl's Moving Castle at OMSI's Empirical Theatre - 7/10. Beautiful art, great storytelling, and interesting story. The movie was slow and dragged at points, but I liked it.

Expendables 3 - 5/10. Rhonda Rousey is pretty much the only reason why I watched this. I love my 1980's action heroes, but 1 was enough.

The Imitation Game - 6/10. The story of Alan Turing. Kiera Knightly finally did a movie where she didn't have her mouth open all the time. Movie was well done, but it dragged at points.

• Like 1

AntMan - 5/10

This has probably been my least favorite MCU film to date.  It's not horrid, but it just ain't that great.  I liked what they did with the Pym's, especially Wasp, but I'm probably just looking for nice things to say.  Visually stunning, like you'd expect it to be.  Not worth the ticket price, but a fun rainy day super hero flick.

It's not Catwoman, thank the Watcher.

4/10 Pixels - Nostalgia aside, it was a very "meh" movie. Had a couple funny bits, but for the most part as one review said "Even Peter Dinklage in a mullet can't save this movie."

6/10 Ant Man - To be honest, it didn't feel as mailed in as Avengers 2, although there wasn't enough oomph.  It's sad when a secondary character telling stories is the most compelling part of the entire film. I liked their action sequences, but I found myself looking more forward to what happens after the post-credit sequence than most of the movie.  Entirely too predictable, but I find most Marvel movies are going that way.  You can't seem to foreshadow at all without hitting someone over the head with that foreshadowing hammer.  

Ant-Man - 7/10 - Not the best Marvel movie, but certainly not the worst. This one felt far more 'family friendly' than the norm, and for my wife and I there were plenty of laughs, which to me was a good thing. The FX were what we pretty much expect from Marvel and other big houses now, and the action scenes I thought were really well-done. We both especially loved the fight scene with a certain Avenger, and the finale of course was fun. I did think the -start- of the movie, the first 30 min or so, was rather slow, but often 'origin movies' are like that, I suppose.

The two (yes two) credit-scenes were interesting enough, and Stan's cameo was part of the laughs. The hinted (mildly) at Spidey and overall we both felt it was a pretty solid effort, though not Marvel's best.

The two (yes two) credit-scenes were interesting enough, and Stan's cameo was part of the laughs. The hinted (mildly) at Spidey and overall we both felt it was a pretty solid effort, though not Marvel's best.

Interestingly that scene where they "hinted" at spidey was done before the Sony/Marvel deal got inked.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Halo Nightfall

and

I'll do them together. Bad movies with good actors, good effects, and good sets. I think the writers just screwed up on both of them, because the movies both flow just fine, they just are bad stories, and both from other media with rich stories. Both the halo games and the avatar tv series were very good in story, so these films were especially disappointing.

After Attack of the ClownsClones, I pretty much gave up on Star Wars. Never did get around to watching Revenge of the Sith until just now, when I was kind of bored and it randomly popped into my mind. Good lord that's a ^#%$ing terrible movie. I started it on a whim, but kept watching out of some sort of horrified, train-wreck fascination. McGregor and Portman each managed to salvage a few bits, McDiarmid had a couple of good moments, and Christopher Lee had enough experience dealing with terrible scripts from his time working for Hammer that he was able to turn in a pretty good performance despite possibly the worst character name in Star Wars history. That's about all I can grant it.

The really weird part was the music. In and of itself, it still had all the power of the original score, but it felt so mismatched with the garbage on the screen that it just didn't work.

• Like 3

Jurassic World: Can't call it a great movie, but it was a fun one. Awesome dinosaurs. It had the same flaw Godzilla did, of prioritizing human-interest bits above monster-interest, but to a lesser extent. Actually, I can sum up pretty much all my problems with it in two words: white dudes. Not because of anything specific to race or gender, it just happened that basically all the characters that annoyed the heck out of me, whether for being gratuitously stupid (like the kids) or arrogant jerks (like Hoskins) were white dudes.

I also have no idea how Masrani hired Dearing to run the place. It seems like he would have picked an operations manager who shared his more laid-back style. Maybe there were just a couple of other levels of management in-between, making the decision, since his company was much more than just the park.

. Actually, I can sum up pretty much all my problems with it in two words: white dudes. Not because of anything specific to race or gender, it just happened that basically all the characters that annoyed the heck out of me, whether for being gratuitously stupid (like the kids) or arrogant jerks (like Hoskins) were white dudes.

d80.png

• Like 2