Rate the Last Movie You Saw

I saw Star Trek the Motion picture a long time ago.  I'd give it a 1/5.  Too slow.  Too boring.  

Also, no one was officially retired I thought?  Kirk had been promoted, and the rest were all there training after the refit of the ship?

They behaved as if retired. Clearly, enterprise was their former glory, and they had each left that for an easier way of live.

Star trek: The Motion Picture.

Actually had to do a film analysis for school, so here:

1) Comprehend and Summarize: A new threat forces the retired Star Trek crew back into action. This new threat, an unknown entity of supreme size and power, challenges the patience of the Star Trek crew. They observe this strange entity only to learn that it is a living machine with the disposition of a child. The crew finds that this child-machine must be taught the ability to process beyond basic logic, to the illogical human emotions…to love.

2) Analyze: Movie is an elongated stretch of visuals, with very limited acting and dialogue. If broken down,

-Hero (Star Trek Crew)’s calling to action from their various retired states to address this new threat.

-Assessing the entity via trial and error, hypothesis to theory hacked to hypothesis again, and finally estabilishing the facts as they are.

-Situation concluded.

3) Infer: Film explores resisting human emotions while retaining human desires. In the early portion of the film, crew is attacked with a “lightning ball” and rather than responding with anger or fear, crew focuses hard on peaceful contact. In another instance, Kirk is challenged on his motives regarding getting himself back in command on the Starship Enterprise, and although he doesn’t yield the position, he does reflect on his own actions to see if he has his own vision impaired by his desire to be back on “his” bridge. And last, the living machine “throws a tantrum” during which Kirk orders the crew to respond as if it were a child, ignoring it’s anger until the emotion passes – once again, showing a logical response to an emotional situation so they can attain they’re desires.

4) Movie reminds me of an encounter with three inebriated individuals I met on the MAX. War veterans, brothers and very much intoxicated. I decided to engage them in conversation. I, like the enterprise crew in the film, attempted to forgo my own emotions regarding the situation in an attempt to both learn from, and gain from, this situation. In my case, I found myself arguing my point with 1 brother, while the other two defended me. This happened a few times, but with brothers changing roles. One in particular, had a tentancy to speak with his hands inches from my face in a very much invasive manner. This was not unlike when the Starship was attacked by the “unknown threat” which was really just annoyed because it couldn’t understand what the Star Trek Crew was attempting to communicate. In my sitation, we eventually got to the same page of understanding and departed as friends. I continued home and they continued bar hopping. In the movie, the living machine was finally able to deliver its message to humanity, despite many social issues in delivering it.

5) I’d rate it 4/5 in respects to being a high quality movie. The actors portrayed their characters well, the visuals were as required for the situation, and the writing presented a good story. Personally I think it is a 2/5 because it is far too slow a film. Easily half the film is watching dialogue-free visuals or watching actors watching the visuals. I think the dialogue-free visuals most certainly add to the film by setting a gentle pace and really allowing the audience to observe as the Star Trek Crew observes. That said, it remains just too slow to be thoroughly enjoyable. I understand that the story, acting and writing would suffer with a faster film, but I really didn’t enjoy the speed it progressed. A good movie to watch as a homework assignment, or while drugged up, not one to watch in free time expecting a good movie.

(Complete with annoying formating issues on MS word....)

I hope you proofread and spellchecked that before turning it in . . .

I hope you proofread and spellchecked that before turning it in . . .

Wasn't a major assignment and I lost bits when the computer switch it from MS word 2013 to Google Docs. But, yeah, had a few annoying spelling errors that I missed, plus the formatting issue which doesn't seem to be able to be fixed with MS word 2013 (I really hate this program. Word95 was like the best the program ever needed to be).

Anyway, not about to attempt a real debate with trekkies regarding aspects of a star trek movie. Was just reposting the film analysis I sent to my teacher for a minor homework asignment.

Anyway, not about to attempt a real debate with trekkies regarding aspects of a star trek movie. Was just reposting the film analysis I sent to my teacher for a minor homework asignment.

Why do you have to use such derogatory words?  If we were discussing Divergence to the same depth (which we have) we wouldn't go around calling people nubiles (and we didn't).  Dashneeb appeared to be asking for clarification about circumstances surrounding the film when he "saw Star Trek the Motion picture a long time ago."  

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: 8.5 / 10

I really enjoy this movie.  I saw it a couple times before reading the comics.  The things they changed when adapting, by and far, I loved.  It would have gone on too long otherwise, I feel.  Actually, there were several times while reading the comics that I felt like I was watching Star Trek The Motion Picture, without the delightful synthesizer playing.  Scott Pilgrim is probably in my "Top Ten Rewatchables" which honestly numbers way more than Ten, but it's easier to call it that.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Exodus gods & Kings - 7/10

Really interesting! At first I was SO excited how well they were doing avoiding what's in the Bible and addressing the "unspoken" stuff... but then it all went down hill after an hour or so as they just went into their own script. Like someone else said, "the whiny god kid" just terrible.

They were doing so well and then just totally went Hollywood. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but ... I was. Shame on me.

Movie:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8.5/10.

The wife and I really enjoyed it, though we both still liked the first one a bit better, and also still liked GotG better. This one had a LOT to live up to, pressure rarely seen (when your previous installment is the third largest-grossing movie of all-time, especially).

The 'credits scene' was sorely disappointing for us, as well as having Loki's scene cut from the movie (maybe the extended blu-ray Director's cut super-duper-special edition will have it, who knows?). Ultron was a great villain - probably the best MCU villain to date in my opinion, except Loki. I like the new additions, too. Definitely eager for Cap 3 and Infinity War. Heck, I'm even eager for Ant-Man....

TV:

Daredevil (Netflix) - 7.5/10.

Worlds better than the movie. Gritty. Dirty. Bloody. Fisk is acted beautifully, and I think Cox did a great job with Matt Murdock. Some of the fight scenes are enormously entertainting. The final episode had me so pumped for the next season, can't wait for it to get here. Loved the Marvel easter eggs.

-Some- of the acting by some of the tertiary characters was kinda 'meh'. I also always hate the 'I can't be with you because my life is dangerous' cliche' that is so overused in comics. It felt like Hell's Kitchen is located just down the street from Gotham, where it's dark and rainy ALL the time.

Movie:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8.5/10.

TV:

Daredevil (Netflix) - 7.5/10.

Welcome to the forums!  To let you know, we have a TV Show thread, too!

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/20414-rate-the-last-seriesseason-you-saw-tv/page-6#entry292914

And owing to enthusiasm, Daredevil even got it's own thread lol

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/24525-daredevil-on-netflix-it-is-awesome/

• Like 1

Just saw Fury Road last night as well and I echo your 9/10! Definitely the best action movie I've seen in quite some time and a legitimately good film on top of it! I've heard a lot of people scoff at this movie as "just another remake" among the many that are coming out these days, but there was a lot of really imaginative stuff in this one and I would say it is definitely worth a watch.

• Like 1